Force and a couple other problems

In summary: That will be the net force.In summary, for the first problem, the normal force exerted on the book can be found by using the formula Fn= mg(cosx) where m is the mass of the book, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and x is the angle of the surface. For the second problem, to find the value of the applied horizontal force at the instant the block starts to slide, you can use the formula for static friction force and set it equal to the applied force. To calculate the net force on the block after it starts to slide, you need to consider the forces of gravity, normal force, friction, and the applied force. The net force will be the sum of all these forces.
BMWPower06
Problem 1:
Calculate the normal force exerted on a 2.84 kg book resting on a surface inclined at 32.9° above the horizontal.
I figure u have to use 9.8 m/s but where does the 32.9 deg come into play?

Problem 2:
The coefficient of static friction between a block and a horizontal floor is 0.360, while the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.125. The mass of the block is 4.74 kg. A horizontal force is applied to the block and slowly increased. What is the value of the applied horizontal force at the instant that the block starts to slide?
What is the net force on the block after it starts to slide?

Im not even sure what to start with for this one.
Thanks for the Help :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
1. If you draw a diagram you have the answer. What forces are acting? Fg pointing downwards and Fn perpendicular to the plane. You know how to do it now? :smile:
2. You can start by calculating what you can. For example, what is the static friction force? What force will get the object moving? (Hint: An object that just starts to move in this case has no net force acting on it.)

husky88 said:
1. If you draw a diagram you have the answer. What forces are acting? Fg pointing downwards and Fn perpendicular to the plane. You know how to do it now? :smile:
2. You can start by calculating what you can. For example, what is the static friction force? What force will get the object moving? (Hint: An object that just starts to move in this case has no net force acting on it.)

1. ok i drew the diagram but am still unaware what to do. do i need to get X,Y components?

2. I am really not sure what the SF force is. Is there a formula i can use?

ahh i think i got the first one is it:
Fn= mg(cosx)?

Still stuck on the second one tho...

Ok so i got the F in the second problem at 16.7 but how do i calculate the net force for the second problem?

any1 know for the net force?

Yes, the first one is Fn= mg(cosx).
And yes, for the second one the force is 16.7 N.
Now to calculate the net force you need to see what forces are acting.
There is force of gravity and normal force, which cancel each other out and we don't have to worry about them.
Then there is the force of friction and the applied force, which we just found out to be 16.7 N.
So we need to find the force of friction. It is different from the first case, because the object is moving now and the coefficient of kinetic friction is involved now, rather than the coefficient of static friction from before.
So calculate friction force for when the object is moving.

Related to Force and a couple other problems

1. What is the definition of force?

Force is a physical quantity that describes the interaction between two objects. It is measured in Newtons (N) and can be represented by a vector with magnitude and direction.

2. How is force related to motion?

According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, force is directly proportional to the acceleration of an object. This means that the greater the force applied, the greater the acceleration of the object will be.

3. What are some common examples of forces?

Some common examples of forces include gravity, friction, tension, and normal force. These forces can act in different directions and have different effects on objects.

4. What is the difference between balanced and unbalanced forces?

Balanced forces occur when two forces acting on an object are equal in magnitude and opposite in direction, resulting in no overall change in motion. Unbalanced forces, on the other hand, result in a change in motion as the net force is not equal to zero.

5. What is a couple in physics?

In physics, a couple is a pair of forces that act on the same object but in opposite directions and do not have a net force. This results in a rotational effect on the object, causing it to rotate around its center of mass.