Force Analysis of 3 Blocks on Horizontal Surface

In summary, the forces on each block are:-mg(down), normal reaction(R1) on block 1-m2g(down), normal reaction(R2) on block 2-m3g(down), normal reaction(R3) on block 3
brad sue
Hi ,

please help me with this question

We have 3 blocks on an horizontal surface (frictionless). We apply a force F=8N
What are the forces on each 3 blocks.

My solution:

For the block 1 I found: m1g(down), Normal reaction R1 ( up), R2/1 (left)
Here is there an R1/2 (right) force of block 1 on the force F=8N?

Block 2: m2g( down), normal reaction R2(up), R3/2, R1/2

Block3: m3g (down), normal reaction R3(up), R2/3,R3/2

My problem is about the reaction between blocks
I am not sure about that. Can someone help me Please

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Whenever, you are solving problems of this type, the first thing you should do is draw a Free Body Force Diagram. In this case, draw each of the blocks and the forces acting on the blocks.

When you are drawing the Free Body diagram, take care to mark only the forces which are acting ON the body (in this case block) and not due to the body.

For example, in Block 3, the forces acting on the block will be mg, normal reaction(R3) and R2/3 only. The force which the 3rd block exerts on the second block(R3/2) should not be drawn in the Free Body diagram of Block 3

Last edited:
siddharth said:
Whenever, you are solving problems of this type, the first thing you should do is draw a Free Body Force Diagram. In this case, draw each of the blocks and the forces acting on the blocks.

When you are drawing the Free Body diagram, take care to mark only the forces which are acting ON the body (in this case block) and not due to the body.

For example, in Block 3, the forces acting on the block will be mg, normal reaction(R3) and R2/3 only. The force which the 3rd block exerts on the second block(R3/2) should not be drawn in the Free Body diagram of Block 3

Thanks a lot I am going to do to it!

Related to Force Analysis of 3 Blocks on Horizontal Surface

1. What is force analysis of 3 blocks on horizontal surface?

Force analysis of 3 blocks on horizontal surface is a scientific method used to calculate and analyze the forces acting on three blocks that are in contact with a horizontal surface. It involves identifying and quantifying the external forces, such as gravity or applied forces, and the internal forces within the blocks, such as tension or compression.

2. Why is force analysis of 3 blocks on horizontal surface important?

Force analysis of 3 blocks on horizontal surface is important because it allows us to understand the behavior and motion of the blocks in a given scenario. By understanding the forces acting on the blocks, we can predict their equilibrium or motion, and make informed decisions in engineering and design processes.

3. What are the key principles of force analysis of 3 blocks on horizontal surface?

The key principles of force analysis of 3 blocks on horizontal surface include Newton's laws of motion, the concept of equilibrium, and the use of free body diagrams. These principles help us to accurately identify and analyze the forces acting on the blocks and determine their resulting motion.

4. What are the steps involved in conducting force analysis of 3 blocks on horizontal surface?

The steps involved in conducting force analysis of 3 blocks on horizontal surface include: 1) identifying the external and internal forces acting on the blocks, 2) drawing free body diagrams for each block, 3) applying Newton's laws of motion to each block, and 4) solving for unknown forces and determining the equilibrium or motion of the blocks.

5. How is force analysis of 3 blocks on horizontal surface applied in real-life situations?

Force analysis of 3 blocks on horizontal surface is applied in various real-life situations, such as in construction and engineering projects, where it is used to determine the stability and strength of structures. It is also used in the design of machines and vehicles, as well as in sports and physical activities to understand and improve performance.