Force Acceleration of Two Identical Blocks

In summary, the two identical blocks are accelerating at a constant rate due to the force of the hand, with air resistance ignored. The mathematical attempts to find the force of friction and the net force on each block resulted in inconsistent values, suggesting an over-constrained problem. It is possible to determine the acceleration by finding the friction on the blocks as one solid mass and then using that value in the equations for each individual block.
Condensate
[Solved] Force Accelerating Two Identical Touching Blocks

Homework Statement

Physicsblockhomework-1.png

The two blocks are accelerating at a constant rate due to the force of the hand, and air resistance is ignored.

I'll go beyond the question above and try to find why FB and FA are less than Fhand mathematically, since that would greatly help my conceptual understanding.

My mathematical assumptions (not given in the question, just there so that I can try and figure out the above mathematically):
μ = 0.2
Acceleration= 3
Fhand= 200 N
m=0.05 kg
Normal Force= 0.5 N

Homework Equations

(only for X forces):
Force(A)net = Fhand + Ffriction + FB
Force(B)net = FA + Ffriction
Ffriction= μFN
F = ma

3a. Conceptual chart attempt at a solution (Boxes are just to show the scaling and boxes for A are not equivalent to those for B)
PhysicsblockhomeworkChart.png

3b. Mathematical attempt at a solution
Finding Ffriction for Block A using Ffriction= μF:: Can be repeated for Block B
  • Ffriction for Block A= μFN
  • Ffriction for Block A= 0.2 x 0.5 (Subsitituting in the values)
  • Ffriction for Block A= 0.1
Finding Force of Block B on Block A
  • F = ma = Forcenet
  • Force(A)net = Fhand + Ffriction + FB
  • Force(A)net = Fhand + Ffriction + FB= ma (Substituting net force of Block A for f)
  • Force(A)net = 200 + (-0.1) + FB= 0.15 (Substituting in the values)
  • 199.9 + FB= 0.15
  • FB= -199.75 => FA=199.75
Finding Ffriction on Block B
  • Force(B)net = FA + Ffriction= ma
  • 199.75 + Ffriction= 0.15 (Substituting in the values)
  • Ffriction= -199.6
Finding Ffriction when treating both boxes as one large mass (100 g) using Ffriction= μF:
  • Ffriction= μFN
  • Ffriction= 0.2 x 1 (Substituting in the values)
  • Ffriction= 0.2
Finding Ffriction when treating both boxes as one large mass (100 g) using Force = ma = Net Force:
  • Forcenet = Fhand + Ffriction= ma
  • 200 + Ffriction = 0.3 (Substituting in the values)
  • Ffriction = -199.7

4. What it comes down to:
[STRIKE]-Was I wrong in assuming that F= ma = Forcenet of an object?
-How come the force of A exerted by Block A on Object B is less than Force of the Hand on Object A (and is this even true?) Is there a mathematical way to figure this out? My attempt gave different frictions for both blocks.
-Do any of the assumptions appear to mess up the math?
-Do the force diagrams accurately portray acceleration and the horizontal forces on both of the blocks?[/STRIKE]

So, any amount of help from you guys would be super appreciated! :smile:

Edit: When finding the actual acceleration from a single 100 g block and using that in the 50 g block equations, everything fit perfectly.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

It just tells you that you or whoever wrote this problem over-constrained it. Method 1 and 3 are identical. Method 2 should give you the right force of friction given. The trouble is that the acceleration would be wrong in method 2, and the force of friction is wrong in methods 1 and 3. It's like me saying shoot this cannonball 40m forward, at an acceleration of 40m/s^2 for one second; something has to give.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I think it was a fault of mine. :)

There's going to be no way that plugging an arbitrary number in for 'a' will give consistent frictions or even FA depending on which is being solved for.

So, the only question I have left is whether it is possible to:
Determine the acceleration of the objects by way of finding the friction on the two blocks as one solid mass, and then plugging that into Forcenet = Fhand + Ffriction= ma and finding 'a.' The 'a' can then be used in either of the two separate block equations to solve for the force of A or B on the other block.
Does that seem alright?

Edit: Okay, it's all good now.

Last edited:

Related to Force Acceleration of Two Identical Blocks

1. What is force acceleration?

Force acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes over time due to the application of a force. In other words, it is the measure of how quickly an object's speed or direction changes when a force is applied to it.

2. What are identical blocks?

Identical blocks refer to two objects that have the same mass, shape, and dimensions. In the context of force acceleration, this means that both blocks have the same resistance to change in motion and will experience the same acceleration when subjected to the same force.

3. How is force acceleration calculated?

Force acceleration is calculated by dividing the net force acting on an object by its mass. This is represented by the equation F=ma, where F is the force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration.

4. What factors affect force acceleration of two identical blocks?

The force acceleration of two identical blocks is affected by the magnitude of the applied force, the mass of the blocks, and any external factors such as friction or air resistance. Additionally, the surface on which the blocks are placed and the angle of the applied force can also affect the acceleration.

5. How does Newton's Second Law relate to force acceleration of two identical blocks?

Newton's Second Law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that the force acceleration of two identical blocks will be the same if the force applied to both blocks is the same.