Forbidden Reactions and Understanding Particle Interactions

In summary, the question is about the decay of \pi^{0} to \gamma and why it is forbidden. The solution is that the decay does not occur due to conservation of the spin quantum number, as the pion has s=0 but the photon has s=1. This means that the pion cannot decay to one photon, but can decay to two photons which have a combined spin of 0. The book does not provide information on the characteristics of photons, so further explanation was needed.
GrantB

Homework Statement

Which of the following reactions are forbidden and why?

[itex]\pi^{0}\rightarrow\gamma[/itex]

Homework Equations

None?

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm pretty sure that the decay doesn't occur (it's forbidden) but I don't know why. I know that it decays most of the time into two gammas.

I think the problem is that I don't understand what characteristics [itex]\gamma[/itex] (photon) has. As in, when I do other problems like this I look at the quark content and the flavors, compare Strangeness and Lepton numbers etc etc.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to consider conservation of the spin quantum number.

So if the pion has s=0 but gamma has s=1, why does the pion decay to two gammas but not to one?

GrantB said:
So if the pion has s=0 but gamma has s=1, why does the pion decay to two gammas but not to one?

What are the allowed values of total spin for a two photon system?

Okay I looked it up, and found that they combine so that the spin projection cancels and are spin-0.

Sorry I had to ask some menial stuff from you, my book doesn't spend any time going into detail about these things. There was no mention of the photons :[

Thanks for the help.

Related to Forbidden Reactions and Understanding Particle Interactions

What is particle interaction?

Particle interaction refers to the way in which particles, such as atoms, molecules, and subatomic particles, interact with each other. This can include interactions through forces, such as gravity and electromagnetism, as well as interactions through the exchange of particles, such as in nuclear reactions.

How do particles interact?

Particles interact through forces, such as gravitational, electromagnetic, strong nuclear, and weak nuclear forces. These forces can either attract or repel particles, causing them to move and interact with each other. Additionally, particles can also interact through the exchange of particles, such as in the case of nuclear reactions.

What is the significance of particle interaction?

Particle interaction is essential for understanding the behavior and properties of matter. It plays a crucial role in explaining physical phenomena, from the formation of stars and galaxies to the behavior of atoms and subatomic particles. Understanding particle interaction also allows scientists to develop new technologies and applications, such as in nuclear energy and medical imaging.

Can particle interaction be observed?

Yes, particle interaction can be observed through various experimental techniques and technologies, such as particle accelerators and detectors. These tools allow scientists to study the behavior of particles and their interactions in controlled environments, providing valuable insights into the fundamental building blocks of the universe.

How does particle interaction relate to the Standard Model of particle physics?

The Standard Model of particle physics is a theory that describes the fundamental particles and their interactions. It explains how particles interact through the four fundamental forces and how they form the building blocks of matter. Particle interaction is therefore a central concept in the Standard Model, providing a framework for understanding the behavior of particles at the most fundamental level.