Different perspectives

• Thread starter RuroumiKenshin
  • Start date
If two lines are perpendicular, then they form four angles. You have already said that they look acute. So there are two acute angles. If they are perpendicular, then both of those angles must be right angles! In summary, the two lines that are perpendicular to each other must form right angles, even if they only look acute. This definition is not relative and is widely accepted.
RuroumiKenshin
The other day, I was looking at two intersecting straight lines. They were drawn from a certain angle so that they looked acute. But if you sort of changed the angle of your view (by turning the paper a bit to the side), it looked like, quite simply, a coordinate plane without a graph. So, since the two lines where perpendicular to each other, does it mean they are right angles? Even if they only look acute?
My sister and I had quite a bit of a quarrel over this...and I wanted an answer that was more substantiated, or rather "standard" so that more people could agree. Okay, so bring it on...

Mathematics news on Phys.org
HallsofIvy

The other day, I was looking at two intersecting straight lines. They were drawn from a certain angle so that they looked acute. But if you sort of changed the angle of your view (by turning the paper a bit to the side), it looked like, quite simply, a coordinate plane without a graph. So, since the two lines where perpendicular to each other, does it mean they are right angles? Even if they only look acute?/QUOTE]

I'm not sure I understand your question. Certainly if two lines ARE perpendicular, then they cross at right angles. (On the other hand, no, "they" are NOT right angles because lines are not angles!)

How do you KNOW they are perpendicular if they LOOK acute?

uhh...that was my question.
By definition, perpendicular angles are right angles right?

or is the whole situation relative? (i personally don't believe so)

I don't think I follow what you say completely. Angle is a relative quantity due to Lorentz Transformations, and the way space changes while traveling at different speeds. But yeah, I don't think that was quite what you were asking.

Oh, for God's sake don't bring relativity into it!

Yes, "perpendicular" means "at right angles".

Two lines are perpendicular if and only if they cross at right angles.

1. What is the importance of considering different perspectives in scientific research?

Considering different perspectives allows for a more comprehensive and well-rounded understanding of a topic or phenomenon. It also helps to minimize biases and limitations that may arise from a single perspective.

2. How do scientists incorporate diverse perspectives in their research?

Scientists can incorporate diverse perspectives by collaborating with researchers from different backgrounds, conducting literature reviews from multiple sources, and actively seeking out alternative viewpoints.

3. What are the potential challenges of incorporating diverse perspectives in scientific research?

Some potential challenges include difficulty in communication and understanding due to language or cultural barriers, conflicting interpretations of data, and the need for additional resources and time to incorporate multiple perspectives.

4. Can different perspectives lead to conflicting results in scientific research?

Yes, different perspectives can sometimes lead to conflicting results in scientific research. This can be due to variations in methodologies, biases, or limitations of each perspective. However, it is important to critically evaluate and consider all perspectives in order to reach an accurate conclusion.

5. How can incorporating different perspectives lead to new discoveries in science?

Incorporating different perspectives can lead to new discoveries by providing alternative viewpoints and insights that may have been overlooked. It also encourages critical thinking and challenges existing theories, potentially leading to new breakthroughs and advancements in the field.