For which primes, does the equation have a rational solution?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding rational solutions for the equation $x^2+y^2=3z^2$ in different fields. It is stated that for all prime numbers $p$ where $p$ does not divide $2 \cdot 3$, there is a rational solution in $\mathbb{Q}_p$. However, it is questioned why this is the case. It is then mentioned that the equation has no non-trivial solutions in $\mathbb{Q}_3$ and the next step is to show that it also has no solutions in $\mathbb{Q}_2$. The conversation then introduces the Hilbert symbol and explains how it can be used to find solutions. It is suggested to read a specific
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hi! (Smile)

I have to find for which primes $p$, the equation $x^2+y^2=3z^2$ has a rational point in $\mathbb{Q}_p$.

According to my notes:

Obviously, $\forall p \in \mathbb{P}, p \nmid 2 \cdot 3$, there is a rational solution in $\mathbb{Q}_p$.

But,why is it obvious that the equation has a rational solution in $\mathbb{Q}_p,\forall p \in \mathbb{P}, p \nmid 2 \cdot 3 $ ?

Then, it is shown that the equation has no non-trivial solutions in $\mathbb{Q}_3$.Now, I have to show that the equation has no solution in $\mathbb{Q}_2$.

But, how can I do this? :confused: :confused:

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Are you familiar with the Hilbert symbol? Given a field $k$, and $\alpha,\beta$ non-zero elements of $k$ we define $(\alpha,\beta)_k = 1$ if $Z^2 - \alpha X^2 - \beta Y^2 = 0$ has a non-trivial solution, otherwise, we define $(\alpha,\beta)_k = -1$.

Note that your equation can be rewritten as $X^2 - Y^2 - 3Z^2 = 0$. Since you want a non-trivial solution in $\mathbb{Q}_p$ you require that $(-1,-3)_p=0$. It remains to explicitly compute that. I suggest to read chapter-3 in "Course in Arithmetic" by Serre, that tells you exactly how to do it.

Related to For which primes, does the equation have a rational solution?

What is an equation with a rational solution?

An equation with a rational solution is an equation that can be solved with rational numbers (numbers that can be expressed as a ratio of two integers).

What is a prime number?

A prime number is a positive integer that is only divisible by 1 and itself.

What does it mean for an equation to have a rational solution?

For an equation to have a rational solution, it means that there exists at least one pair of rational numbers that can satisfy the equation.

How do you determine if an equation has a rational solution?

To determine if an equation has a rational solution, you can use the rational root theorem or try to find a solution by substituting different rational numbers into the equation.

Why is it important to find the primes for which an equation has a rational solution?

It is important to find the primes for which an equation has a rational solution because it can help us understand the behavior and properties of the equation. It can also give us insights into the underlying patterns and relationships between the variables involved in the equation.