For which natural numbers n does the expression

In summary, the puzzle is to find natural numbers n for which the expression \sqrt {30 + \sqrt n} \ \ + \ \ \sqrt {30 - \sqrt n} yields a natural number. It can be solved by considering z^2 - 60, where z is the expression itself, and finding the possible values for it. The only values that satisfy the conditions are n = 896 and n = 500.
dodo
A nice puzzle I just found (hope it hasn't been posted before):

[tex]\sqrt {30 + \sqrt n} \ \ + \ \ \sqrt {30 - \sqrt n}[/tex]​
yield also a natural number?

Mathematics news on Phys.org

Well, it's a bounded expression... just check 0 to 900. ;)

Lol - I meant, with some fun explanation as of why.

Well I know I've seen problems that ask you how many values of x are there such that

[tex]\sqrt{a - \sqrt{x}}[/tex] is an integer, where a is a constant.

This is essentially the same problem except you don't really need to worry about the first term. Just keep in mind the inequalities that must be satisfied and it just comes down to finding squares.

Well, the interesting thing is that the values of x for which 30-sqrt(x) is a square, will not produce also squares for 30+sqrt(x).

So this is a case where the two big roots are not integers, yet their sum is.

Ahhh you're right. I totally reduced the problem to a simpler one without thinking. Thanks for pointing that out. I'll try to find a systematic solution.

Dodo said:
A nice puzzle I just found (hope it hasn't been posted before):

[tex]\sqrt {30 + \sqrt n} \ \ + \ \ \sqrt {30 - \sqrt n}[/tex]​
yield also a natural number?

Let [tex]z = \sqrt {30 + \sqrt n} \ \ + \ \ \sqrt {30 - \sqrt n}[/tex]

then [tex]z^2 = 60 + 2\, \sqrt{900 - n}[/tex]

hence z^2 - 60 is an even natural number less than or equal to 60.

Listing the possible values of z^2 - 60 gives :

8^2 - 60 = 4
10^2 - 60 = 40
and they are the only possibilities.

So [itex]2\, \sqrt{900 - n}[/itex] equals either 4 or 40 and the corresponding values of n = 896 or n = 500 are easily calculated.

Last edited:

Related to For which natural numbers n does the expression

1. What is the meaning of "natural numbers" in this context?

Natural numbers are positive integers (excluding 0) that are used for counting and ordering objects. In mathematics, they are represented by the symbol "N".

2. Can you provide an example of a natural number?

Examples of natural numbers include 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, etc. Essentially, any positive whole number is a natural number.

3. How do you determine if a number is a natural number?

A number is considered a natural number if it is a positive integer. This means that it must be a whole number greater than 0.

4. What is the purpose of this expression?

This expression is commonly used in mathematics and computer programming to represent a set of natural numbers that follow a specific pattern or rule.

5. Can you use non-integer numbers with this expression?

No, this expression is specifically for natural numbers, which are always positive integers. Non-integer numbers, such as fractions and decimals, are not included in this set of numbers.