Can anyone tell me what a burette does?

• Thread starter ruby_duby
  • Start date
In summary, a burette is a piece of laboratory equipment used in titration to add a sample dropwise with a graduated scale for accurate measurements. It is preferred over a measuring cylinder because it reduces experimental errors and allows for easier and more immediate volume readings.
ruby_duby
Can anyone tell me what a burette does and why it is better to use a burette than a measuring cylinder?
Please help :smile:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
U reduce experimental error by using burette , burette adds the sample dropwise with proper graduated scale and these come calibrated

In my chemistry lessons at school, we use the burette a lot in titration. It beats using the measuring cylinder because, as himanshu has said, it adds the sample dropwise. You can immediately see the volume of solution you have added whereas in the measuring cylinder you have to tilt the cylinder back and forth to be able to tell the amount of solution you have added. What I am really trying to say is that in addition to reducing errors, it is also more practical to use.

1. What is a burette?

A burette is a laboratory instrument used to accurately measure and dispense small volumes of liquids.

2. How does a burette work?

A burette works by using a stopcock valve to control the flow of liquid from the burette tip. The volume of liquid dispensed is read from a scale on the burette.

3. What is the purpose of a burette in a laboratory setting?

A burette is commonly used in titration experiments, where precise volumes of a solution are added to another solution until a chemical reaction is complete. It is also used for measuring and dispensing other liquids in various experiments and procedures.

4. What is the difference between a burette and a pipette?

A burette is used for dispensing larger volumes of liquid, typically in the range of 10-50 mL, while a pipette is used for smaller volumes, usually less than 10 mL. Additionally, a burette allows for more precise control of the volume being dispensed compared to a pipette.

5. How do you properly use and maintain a burette?

To use a burette, it should be first rinsed with the solution being used and then filled to the desired volume. The stopcock valve should be opened slowly to dispense the liquid and the burette should be read at eye level to ensure accuracy. After use, a burette should be emptied, rinsed with distilled water, and stored in a vertical position. It is important to regularly calibrate and clean a burette to ensure accurate measurements.