For the following properties, show that either f(a) = 1 for all a, or f(a) = Legendre

In summary, the conversation discussed the properties of a function f(a) defined for a prime to p, including that it only takes the values ±1, if a=b (mod p) then f(a)=f(b), and f(ab) = f(a)f(b) for all a and b. The conversation also mentioned that the group of units mod p is cyclic, and that this is the key to the solution. It was shown that when a =x^2 mod p, f(a)=1 and otherwise f(a)=-1, and that property 2 guarantees injectivity of f modulo p. It was also mentioned that any group homomorphism from a cyclic group to any other group is uniquely and completely determined once we know what
squire636
Let p be an odd prime. Let f(a) be a function defined for a prime to p satisfying the following properties:

(i) f(a) only takes the values ±1.
(ii) If a=b (mod p), then f(a)=f(b).
(iii) f(ab) = f(a)f(b) for all a and b.

Show that either f(a) = 1 for all a or that f(a) = ([itex]\frac{a}{b}[/itex])

Physics news on Phys.org

I don't even know how to start. I recognize that these properties are true for the Legendre symbol, but that's as far as I can get. Thanks!

I assume you meant to say "or that f(a)=(a/p)" (and not (a/b)).

Anyway: notice that properties (i)-(iii) are simply saying that f is a group homomorphism from the group of units mod p to the multiplicative group {±1}. Now what do you know about the group of units mod p? There is one very important property.

Correct, that is what I meant.

I know that ±1 (mod p) is 1 and p-1 (mod p), but other than that, I really don't know. I'm bad at number theory :/

I was hinting at the fact that the group of units mod p is cyclic. So you have a homomorphism from a cyclic group to the group {±1} (no mod p for this latter group). What can you say about such a homomorphism?

So then all of the values from 0 to p-1 would be mapped to either -1 or 1. If f(a) is [itex]\frac{a}{p}[/itex], then a would be mapped to -1 if it is a non-quadratic residue, and it would be mapped to 1 if it is a quadratic residue.

Not sure if I'm on the right track here, since I don't know how the given properties ensure this is the case.

You're not using the fact that the group of units mod p is cyclic, i.e. that there is a primitive root mod p. This is the key to the solution.

You only need to show that when a =x^2 mod p that f(a)=1 and otherwise f(a)=-1.

If a=x^2 mod p then f(a)=f(x^2)=f(x)^2=1 (why?).

Now when a ≠ x^2 mod p, f(a)≠f(x^2)=f(x)^2=1.
Property 2 guarantees us injectivty of f modulo p.

MathematicalPhysicist said:
This is sketchy. In fact f cannot possibly be injective mod p (unless p=3). Could you please explain what you mean?

MathematicalPhysicist said:
You only need to show that when a =x^2 mod p that f(a)=1 and otherwise f(a)=-1.

If a=x^2 mod p then f(a)=f(x^2)=f(x)^2=1 (why?).

I follow your logic and get that f(a) = [itex]\frac{a}{p}[/itex], but what about the other condition that f(a) could = 1 for all a?

squire636 said:
I follow your logic and get that f(a) = [itex]\frac{a}{p}[/itex], but what about the other condition that f(a) could = 1 for all a?

I think that what Morphism has been telling you all along is: ANY group homomorphism from a cyclic group to

any other group is uniquely and completely determined once we know what that homom. maps a generator of the cyclic group to, so

if both your homom. and Lagrange's map a generator of the group [itex]\left(\mathbb Z/ p\mathbb Z\right)^*[/itex] to the same element in the image then you're done...

DonAntonio

Related to For the following properties, show that either f(a) = 1 for all a, or f(a) = Legendre

1. What does it mean for a function to have the property f(a) = 1 for all a?

When a function has the property f(a) = 1 for all a, it means that the output of the function is always equal to 1, regardless of the input value. In other words, the function is constant and does not change with different inputs.

2. How can you prove that a function has the property f(a) = 1 for all a?

To prove that a function has the property f(a) = 1 for all a, you can use a proof by contradiction. Assume that there exists an input value a for which f(a) does not equal 1. Then, using the definition of a function, you can show that f(a) must actually equal 1, leading to a contradiction. This proves that f(a) must equal 1 for all values of a.

3. What is the Legendre function and how is it related to the property f(a) = Legendre?

The Legendre function, also known as the Legendre polynomial, is a special mathematical function that is used to solve certain differential equations. It is related to the property f(a) = Legendre in that if a function has this property, it must be equal to the Legendre function for all values of a. In other words, the function is a Legendre polynomial.

4. Can a function have the property f(a) = 1 for some values of a and f(a) = Legendre for others?

No, a function cannot have both the properties f(a) = 1 and f(a) = Legendre. This is because the Legendre function is a specific type of function and has a unique form that cannot be equal to 1 for any values of a.

5. How is the property f(a) = 1 or f(a) = Legendre useful in mathematics?

The property f(a) = 1 or f(a) = Legendre is useful in mathematics because it can simplify calculations and solve certain problems. For example, if a function is known to have this property, it can be used to solve differential equations or to find roots of polynomials. It also has applications in physics and engineering, where the Legendre function is used to model physical phenomena.