For Doc, rates of change of acceleration

In summary, the rate of change of acceleration, also known as jerk, has units of m/s3. This is different from the units of acceleration, which is measured in m/s2 or "g". However, the change in acceleration over a certain time period will have the same units as acceleration. To convert the rate of change of acceleration to units of m/s/s/s, you can multiply the change in acceleration by 100. The LaTeX thread can provide information on how to insert symbols into posts.
Micky
Sometime ago you very kindly advised me regarding units for rates of change of acceleration.

I still don't fully understand how "a" and "Δa" can have the same units, "g". If acceleration is measured in terms of "g", shouldn't the rate of change of acceleration be measured in terms of g/s?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct.

rate of change of acceleration, also called jerk, has units

[tex] \frac m {s^3}[/tex]

Originally posted by Micky
Sometime ago you very kindly advised me regarding units for rates of change of acceleration.
As Integral states, the rate of change of acceleration is called "jerk".
I still don't fully understand how "a" and "Δa" can have the same units, "g". If acceleration is measured in terms of "g", shouldn't the rate of change of acceleration be measured in terms of g/s?
You are confusing change with rate of change. The units of a change in any quantity will be the same units as the quantity.

Example: Your weight goes from 165 lbs to 170 lbs. The change is 5 lbs, same units as your weight.

If the change took place over 1 month, the (average) rate of change of your weight would be: 5 lbs/month. Different quantity, different units.

Similary, the CHANGE of acceleration will have units of m/s2 (you can measure in terms of "g" if you want), but the RATE of change of acceleration would be in units of m/s3 (you can use g/sec, if you dare).

Bottom line: Change is Δa; rate of change is Δa/Δt.

Thanks Integral, can jerk also be expressed as g/s?

I've had another look at the original thread here

I think I see now how Doc's answer is correct for my method of measuring rates of change of acceleration. I'm comparing two consecutive measurements of acceleration (units = "g"), therefore the answer = change in acceleration over the time period and must be in "g" .. I think. This is fine for the current project which is comparing rates of change of accel.

However, at some stage I will need to express the rate of change of acceleration in units of m/s/s/s. So if the measurement period is, say, 0.01s then I need to multiply the change in acceleration over this period by 100.

I suspect that the calculation should be {measured accel value in units of g}*9.8*100 which should then give me the rate of change of acceleration measured in m/s/s/s ??

Is there a thread with info about inserting symbols into posts?

Originally posted by Micky
I've had another look at the original thread here

I think I see now how Doc's answer is correct for my method of measuring rates of change of acceleration. I'm comparing two consecutive measurements of acceleration (units = "g"), therefore the answer = change in acceleration over the time period and must be in "g" .. I think. This is fine for the current project which is comparing rates of change of accel.

However, at some stage I will need to express the rate of change of acceleration in units of m/s/s/s. So if the measurement period is, say, 0.01s then I need to multiply the change in acceleration over this period by 100.

I suspect that the calculation should be {measured accel value in units of g}*9.8*100 which should then give me the rate of change of acceleration measured in m/s/s/s ??

Is there a thread with info about inserting symbols into posts?
the LaTeX thread.

Related to For Doc, rates of change of acceleration

1. What is acceleration and how is it measured?

Acceleration is a measure of how quickly the velocity of an object changes over time. It can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the time it took for the change to occur. The standard unit for acceleration is meters per second squared (m/s²).

2. How is acceleration related to the concept of rate of change?

Acceleration is a type of rate of change, specifically the rate at which an object's velocity is changing. It is a measure of how quickly an object's velocity is changing over time.

3. How does acceleration affect an object's motion?

Acceleration directly affects an object's motion by determining how quickly its velocity changes. An object with a high acceleration will experience a larger change in velocity over a given time compared to an object with a lower acceleration. This can cause changes in an object's speed, direction, or both.

4. Can acceleration be negative?

Yes, acceleration can be negative. This occurs when an object is slowing down or decelerating. Negative acceleration is also known as deceleration.

5. What factors can affect an object's acceleration?

An object's acceleration can be affected by factors such as the object's mass, the force acting on the object, and any friction or air resistance present. The direction of the force applied can also affect an object's acceleration.