For direct proof, how do you choose M for bounded sequence?

In summary, the definition of a bounded sequence is a sequence of real numbers that is limited by a real number M such that the absolute value of each term in the sequence is less than or equal to M. To determine the appropriate M, one must understand the sequence and find a specific number that works for the proof. For example, for a sequence like ##a_n=\frac{sin(n)}{n}##, M can be chosen as 1 since the distance between consecutive terms is within a finite range. Similarly, for ##a_{n} = \frac{sin(n)\cdot ln(2n)}{n}##, M can also be chosen as 1 by using the property that ##ln(x)\le x
mikeyBoy83
So the definition of a bounded sequence is this:
A sequence ##(x_{n})## of real numbers is bounded if there exists a real number ##M>0## such that ##|x_{n}|\le M## for each ##n##

My question is pretty simple. How does one choose the M, based on the sequence in order to arrive at the conclusion? This has been something I've been confused about for a number of years and it seems like it all depends on the sequence in question. But is there a general rule that applies in these cases?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's difficult to see what is the confusion. Do you have an example in mind? Clearly no single ##M## will work for all bounded sequences.

PeroK said:
It's difficult to see what is the confusion. Do you have an example in mind? Clearly no single ##M## will work for all bounded sequences.
Right I understand no single ##M## works for all bounded sequences. But specifically let's consider something like ##a_n=\frac{sin(n)}{n}##, for example. We basically need to choose ##M## such that ##|\frac{sin(n)}{n}|\le M## for each ##n##. The question is how do I go about choosing ##M## in a case like this? Thanks!

mikeyBoy83 said:
Right I understand no single ##M## works for all bounded sequences. But specifically let's consider something like ##a_n=\frac{sin(n)}{n}##, for example. We basically need to choose ##M## such that ##|\frac{sin(n)}{n}|\le M## for each ##n##. The question is how do I go about choosing ##M## in a case like this? Thanks!
You need to understand the sequence. Why is it bounded?

PeroK said:
You need to understand the sequence. Why is it bounded?
No matter what ##n## we choose, the distance between consecutive terms of ##a_{n}## are within some finite range. Basically, it converges, but how does that dictate what my proof involving the definition should be written?

Edit: I just thought of this. Suppose we choose ##M\ge 1/n##, then for each n

##|\frac{sin(n)}{n}|\le |\frac{1}{n}|\le |M|##

And since ##M>0##, ##|a_{n}|\le M##. Hence, ##a_{n}## is bounded.

For a particular sequence, the existence of any M like that will make it bounded. But to prove it is bounded, you need to look at the sequence and find a specific M for your proof. The proof is designed around your selection of M.

mikeyBoy83 said:
No matter what ##n## we choose, the distance between consecutive terms of ##a_{n}## are within some finite range. Basically, it converges, but how does that dictate what my proof involving the definition should be written?

Edit: I just thought of this. Suppose we choose ##M\ge 1/n##, then for each n

##|\frac{sin(n)}{n}|\le |\frac{1}{n}|\le |M|##

And since ##M>0##, ##|a_{n}|\le M##. Hence, ##a_{n}## is bounded.

Perhaps you haven't undertstood that for each sequence you need to find a specific number. In your example:

For ##n \ge 1## we have ##|a_n| = |\frac{\sin (n)}{n}| \le |\sin (n)| \le 1##

Hence the sequence ##(a_n)## is bounded by ##1## (and, of course by any number greater than ##1##).

You could say it is bounded by ##M = 1##, but in a specific case there is no need to mention ##M##.

PeroK said:
Perhaps you haven't undertstood that for each sequence you need to find a specific number. In your example:

For ##n \ge 1## we have ##|a_n| = |\frac{\sin (n)}{n}| \le |\sin (n)| \le 1##

Hence the sequence ##(a_n)## is bounded by ##1## (and, of course by any number greater than ##1##).

You could say it is bounded by ##M = 1##, but in a specific case there is no need to mention ##M##.
Don't you mean

For ##n \ge 1## we have ##|a_n| = |\frac{\sin (n)}{n}| \le |\frac{1}{n}| \le 1## ?

I suppose it wouldn't matter since sin(n) is bounded by 1 as well.

Actually after posting this my thoughts directed me to choosing 1, which when plotted is equally justified (not a convincing argument though). Thanks for your help.

Here is a similar example. I want to show that ##a_{n} = \frac{sin(n)\cdot ln(2n)}{n}## is bounded under the assumption that ##ln(x)\le x## for each ##x \in R##.

For that choose ##M=1## as well. Then, for ##n\ge 1## we have ##|a_n| = |\frac{\sin (n)\cdot ln(2n)}{n}| \le |\frac{ln(2n)}{n}|##. Since, ##ln(x)\le x## for each ##x \in R##, then ##ln(2n) \le n## for any ##n \in N\subset R##. Hence,

##|\frac{ln(2n)}{n}| \le |\frac{n}{n}|\le 1##

So, ##a_{n}## is bounded by ##M=1##.

mikeyBoy83 said:
Here is a similar example. I want to show that ##a_{n} = \frac{sin(n)\cdot ln(2n)}{n}## is bounded under the assumption that ##ln(x)\le x## for each ##x \in R##.

For that choose ##M=1## as well. Then, for ##n\ge 1## we have ##|a_n| = |\frac{\sin (n)\cdot ln(2n)}{n}| \le |\frac{ln(2n)}{n}|##. Since, ##ln(x)\le x## for each ##x \in R##, then ##ln(2n) \le n## for any ##n \in N\subset R##. Hence,

##|\frac{ln(2n)}{n}| \le |\frac{n}{n}|\le 1##

So, ##a_{n}## is bounded by ##M=1##.

You've used ##ln(2n) \le n##, which is more than you were given. You need to sort that out.

Otherwise, that's the right idea.

Any more problems need to go in Homework, though!

PeroK said:
You've used ##ln(2n) \le n##, which is more than you were given. You need to sort that out.

Otherwise, that's the right idea.

Any more problems need to go in Homework, though!

But this isn't homework, its independent study, or does that matter?

mikeyBoy83 said:
But this isn't homework, its independent study, or does that matter?

It doesn't matter how you're studying. For problems, you get a better response in the Homework section anyway.

PeroK said:
It doesn't matter how you're studying. For problems, you get a better response in the Homework section anyway.
Great! Thanks for all your help!

Related to For direct proof, how do you choose M for bounded sequence?

1. How do you determine the value of M for a bounded sequence?

The value of M for a bounded sequence is determined by finding the supremum (or least upper bound) of the sequence. This is the smallest real number that is greater than or equal to all the terms in the sequence. This value serves as an upper limit for the sequence and can be used as the value of M for direct proof.

2. Is there a specific formula for finding M in a bounded sequence?

No, there is no specific formula for finding M in a bounded sequence. It requires careful observation and analysis of the sequence to determine the supremum or least upper bound. In some cases, it may be possible to use known properties of the sequence or mathematical techniques to find M, but it ultimately depends on the specific sequence.

3. Can M vary for different bounded sequences?

Yes, M can vary for different bounded sequences. The value of M depends on the specific sequence and its properties. Even if two sequences have the same supremum, they may have different values of M. It is important to carefully analyze each sequence to determine the appropriate value of M for direct proof.

4. What happens if the value of M is not chosen correctly for a bounded sequence?

If the value of M is not chosen correctly for a bounded sequence, the direct proof may not hold. In other words, the proof may fail to show that the sequence is bounded. Therefore, it is important to carefully determine the value of M to ensure the validity of the direct proof.

5. Are there other methods for proving a sequence is bounded besides direct proof?

Yes, there are other methods for proving a sequence is bounded besides direct proof. These include using the boundedness theorem, the monotone convergence theorem, or other properties of sequences. Direct proof is just one approach and may not be the most efficient or appropriate method for every sequence.