Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Font help

caffeinemachine

MHB Math Scholar
Mar 10, 2012
Hello MHB.
I have recently started using TeX to create math documents. I am using TeXworks.
The pdf created by the software looks good but the font style is something I don't like.
I would like my document to have fonts like that used in "Herstein's Topics in Algebra"...or something which feels "old"... The default font is "too modern". Is there a way, a package I guess, which can give me other than the default font? Or is that feature not at all there in TeX?

Fantini

"Read Euler, read Euler." - Laplace
MHB Math Helper
Feb 29, 2012
Re: font help

Hello Caffeine! The place that almost always holds the answer I look for is LaTeX's Wikibook. In this case, it seemed best to plow through the "useful websites" section. Out of the five linked, this one is which seemed the most helpful to me. :D

On a side (and personal) note, Herstein's "Topics in Algebra" font doesn't look much different from LaTeX's original font, Computer Modern. I have the second edition borrowed from the library, perhaps you have a younger (or older) version. As a matter of fact, the font used in the book appears to be good old Times New Roman. :)

Cheers.

Evgeny.Makarov

MHB Math Scholar
Jan 30, 2012

Section 8.8.3 of The LaTeX Companion (2nd edition) has a collection of 16 examples typeset using existing packages that provide both text and math fonts. Also, chapter 7 describes fonts, including existing packages and external TrueType fonts. However, using TrueType fonts may be quite tricky and, since the book was published 8 years ago, there may be newer descriptions and/or tools on the Internet. I find the UK List of TeX Frequently Asked Questions very useful.

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012

\usepackage{font name of your choice} as long as you have it.