Focal length of lens at border of two liquids

In summary, the author attempted to solve for the optical power of a system with a thin lens using two equations and a calculator. The first equation calculates the diopter focal length of the object lens; the second equation calculates the diopter focal length of the image lens. The author found that the power of the lens seems to be the sum of the powers of the two surfaces, which would then be 1/R (2n - n1 - n2).
matej1408

Homework Statement

I need to find optical power (reciprocal focal length) of this system with thin lens
Capture.png

Homework Equations

I tried to solve this using spherical diopter equation
n1/a+n2/b=(n2-n1)/R
where a is object distance and b is image distance

The Attempt at a Solution

equation for first diopter
n1/a+n/b'=(n-n1)/R
equation for second diopter
-n/b'+n2/b=-(n2-n)/R
adding these two equation i have
n1/a+n2/b=(2*n-n1-n2)/R
putting a→∞, b should be focal length then
so:
1/f=1/b=(2*n-n1-n2)/(n2*R)
but textbook solution is:
Capture.png

where -x=a and x'=b
i figured out this solution doesn't have two different focal length solutions (one from each side) and my solution have that. They solved problem using ray path and geometry.
I'm wondering what is wrong with my solution

Physics news on Phys.org
What might work is treating the two surfaces of the lens separately. That is the first produces an image which becomes the object for the second. Start out with an object far away - sorry, that is what your solution does in effect.

Last edited:
Look at the derivation of the lensmaker's formula and modify it to the case where n1 ≠ 1.

rude man said:
Look at the derivation of the lensmaker's formula and modify it to the case where n1 ≠ 1.
in my textbook is solved by derivation of lensmaker's formula, but i want to know why my solution isn't correct

The power of the lens seems to be the sum of the powers of the two surfaces, which would then be
P = Pleft + Pright
= (n - n1)/R + (n2 - n)/-R
= 1/R (2n - n1 - n2)
I am referencing Jenkins and White - Fundamentals of Optics.
Each of the surfaces of the lens has two associated focal lengths.
So who knows what the f in the formula in the book refers to!

Last edited:

Related to Focal length of lens at border of two liquids

What is the focal length of a lens at the border of two liquids?

The focal length of a lens at the border of two liquids is the distance from the lens to the point where the light rays passing through the border converge to a single point.

How does the refractive index of the liquids affect the focal length of the lens?

The refractive index of the liquids plays a crucial role in determining the focal length of the lens. A higher refractive index will result in a shorter focal length, while a lower refractive index will result in a longer focal length.

What is the significance of the border between two liquids in determining the focal length of a lens?

The border between two liquids acts as a boundary where the light rays passing through the lens are bent due to the difference in the refractive indices of the liquids. This bending of light is what determines the focal length of the lens at the border.

Can the focal length of a lens at the border of two liquids be changed?

Yes, the focal length of a lens at the border of two liquids can be changed by altering the refractive indices of the liquids or by changing the curvature of the lens surface at the border.

What factors can affect the accuracy of measuring the focal length of a lens at the border of two liquids?

The accuracy of measuring the focal length of a lens at the border of two liquids can be affected by factors such as the accuracy of the refractive index measurements, the surface tension of the liquids, and any impurities present in the liquids. The experimental setup and the precision of the measuring equipment can also play a role in the accuracy of the measurement.