Focal Length of a Half Ball Lens

In summary, the focal length of a half ball lens in air, in the paraxial limit, can be calculated using the equation f = R/(nl-1), where R is the radius of the lens and nl is the refractive index of the lens material. This is derived by considering the refraction of light at a spherical interface and using the thin lens approximation.
HIB
Any help much appreciated - this is driving me crazy!

Homework Statement

Show that the focal length of a half ball lens, in air, (in the paraxial limit) is given by:
f=R/n-1

Homework Equations

Equation (from Hecht- Optics), for refraction at a spherical interface:

nm/s0 + nl/s1 = (nl-nm)/R

where,
nm = refractive index of medium
nl = refractive index of lens material
s0 = distance from object to surface
s1 = distance from image to surface

The Attempt at a Solution

Setting s0 = ∞
Then s1 = f

Subbing into the equation gives,
nm/s0 + nl/s1 = (nl-nm)/R

0 + nl/f = (nl-nm)/R

f = Rnl/nl-1

Where am I going wrong with this?
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
OK... I think I figured this out. I am only taking the refraction from one spherical surface. I am treating it as if the rays are focusing inside the lens.

If I take the result of the first calc i.e. f=Rnl/nl-nm
and use it as the object distance for the second surface.
And bear in mind that the nl and nm will switch places for the second surface calculation, then I get the correct answer:

nl*nl-nm/Rnl + nm/s1 = nm-nl/R

nl-nm/R = nm/s1

f= s1 = nmR/nl-nm

Sorry if I wasted anyone's time on this. I literally had a brainwave, just after I wrote the post.

Hello, HIB. Welcome to PF.

I'm not sure how you can take the focal length of the first surface as the object distance of the second surface. Wouldn't the object distance for the second surface be the distance from the image of the first surface to the second surface?

Also, when dealing with thick lenses, you have to define "focal length" carefully. Is it the distance of the image (of initially parallel rays) as measured from one of the surfaces of the lens? If so, which surface? Or is it measured from some reference point within the lens? I have the first edition of Hecht and Zajac's text. In that edition you can find quite a bit about different focal length definitions and how to calculate them for thick lenses in chapter 6.

You might also see what you get if you let parallel rays enter the lens on the flat side.

Thanks TSny. You have a point about not using the focal length as the object distance.

If I approach it from the other side i.e. flat surface first, followed by half sphere surface.
Rays are approaching parallel, so s0=∞, surface is flat, so R = ∞

nm/∞ + nl/s1 = nl-nm/∞

nl/s1=0
→s1=∞

This makes sense, as the parallel rays will be undeviated after going through the flat surface.

So, then, I am back to treating just the half sphere surface, with the following params:
s0=∞; R is negative; nm and nl trade places in the equation as nm is now associated with the image and nl with the object

nl/∞ + nm/s1 = nm-nl/-R

s1= f = -R nm/ nm-nl
= R / (nl-1)

where nm=1

Correct?

Yes, that looks correct. Good!

Related to Focal Length of a Half Ball Lens

1. What is the focal length of a half ball lens?

The focal length of a half ball lens is the distance from the center of the lens to the point where light rays converge or diverge after passing through the lens.

2. How is the focal length of a half ball lens measured?

The focal length of a half ball lens is typically measured in millimeters (mm) and can be determined by the curvature of the lens and its refractive index.

3. Can the focal length of a half ball lens be changed?

No, the focal length of a half ball lens is a fixed characteristic of the lens and cannot be changed. However, it can be altered by adding additional lenses or changing the refractive index of the material.

4. What is the significance of the focal length in a half ball lens?

The focal length of a half ball lens determines the magnification and image quality of the lens. It also affects the depth of field and the angle of view of the lens.

5. How does the focal length of a half ball lens affect its applications?

The focal length of a half ball lens plays a crucial role in its applications. It is used in various optical devices such as cameras, telescopes, and microscopes to focus and magnify images. The focal length also determines the working distance and the size of the image produced by the lens.