Focal length of 2 lenses to reduce laser beam diameter

In summary, the speaker needs to reduce the beam diameter of a laser and plans to do so by using a positive and a negative spherical lens with focal lengths f1 and f2 respectively. By overlapping the two focal points, the beam diameter can be reduced by the factor f2/f1. The speaker is looking for criteria to decide what values for f1 and f2 to use, taking into consideration space limitations and beam quality. The suggested approach is to choose the smallest lenses possible to save on cost, with a slightly larger etendue than that of the laser, and to consider the trade-off between lens diameter, focal length, and etendue.
RandomGuy88
I need to reduce the beam diameter of a laser I am using. I plan to do this by first passing the beam through a positive spherical lens with focal length f1 and then a negative spherical lens with focal length f2 and f2 < f1. By placing the lenses so that the two focal points overlap I will have a new beam diameter this is reduced by the factor f2/f1.

I know what I want f2/f1 to be but I can accomplish this with different combinations of f1 and f2. For example if I want f2/f1 = 0.5 then I could use f1,f2 = 200mm and 100 mm or 400 mm and 200 mm...

So is there some other criteria I can use to decide what f1 and f2 should be. I know space is a consideration. I only have so much physical space so f1 and f2 can not be extremely large. But is there anything else to consider that will affect the beam quality?

Science news on Phys.org
RandomGuy88 said:
I need to reduce the beam diameter of a laser I am using. I plan to do this by first passing the beam through a positive spherical lens with focal length f1 and then a negative spherical lens with focal length f2 and f2 < f1. By placing the lenses so that the two focal points overlap I will have a new beam diameter this is reduced by the factor f2/f1.

I know what I want f2/f1 to be but I can accomplish this with different combinations of f1 and f2. For example if I want f2/f1 = 0.5 then I could use f1,f2 = 200mm and 100 mm or 400 mm and 200 mm...

So is there some other criteria I can use to decide what f1 and f2 should be. I know space is a consideration. I only have so much physical space so f1 and f2 can not be extremely large. But is there anything else to consider that will affect the beam quality?

What kind of laser?

Generally, pick the smallest lenses you need to save on cost. The etendue of the system is fixed so you want to choose lenses such that the entendue of the lens is just slightly larger than that of your laser, so you don't lose light. For a fixed lens diameter, a larger focal length will be thinner and cheaper, but have smaller etendue. Also, the space needed will be larger--this sounds like it might be your limiting constraint.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etendue

Related to Focal length of 2 lenses to reduce laser beam diameter

1. What is the focal length of a lens?

The focal length of a lens is the distance between the lens and its focal point, where parallel rays of light converge to a single point.

2. How does focal length affect the diameter of a laser beam?

The focal length of a lens determines the amount of convergence or divergence of the laser beam passing through it. A shorter focal length will result in a smaller beam diameter, while a longer focal length will result in a larger beam diameter.

3. Can using multiple lenses with different focal lengths reduce the laser beam diameter?

Yes, using two or more lenses with different focal lengths can help reduce the laser beam diameter. This is known as a lens system, where the first lens focuses the beam and the second lens further reduces the diameter.

4. What is the ideal focal length combination for reducing laser beam diameter?

The ideal focal length combination depends on factors such as the initial beam diameter and the desired final beam diameter. Generally, using a shorter focal length lens followed by a longer focal length lens can result in a significant reduction in beam diameter.

5. Are there any limitations to using multiple lenses for reducing laser beam diameter?

Yes, using multiple lenses can introduce additional optical aberrations and reduce the overall quality of the laser beam. It is important to carefully select and align the lenses to minimize these effects and achieve the desired beam diameter.