Do FM and AM Radio Stations Emit Different Numbers of Photons?

• Thread starter dirtywater101
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Photons
In summary, the two radio stations have the same power output, but the FM station emits more photons per second due to its higher frequency. The energy of each photon can be calculated using E=hf, and to relate this to the power output, the equation N photons/sec = Power / photon energy can be used. The FM station emits lower-energy photons, so it must emit more photons per second to have the same power output as the AM station.
dirtywater101
1. Two radio stations have the same power output from their antennas. one broadcasts on FM band at 105.2 MHz and other on the AM band at 701kHz. Which one emits more photons per second? Or do they emit the same amount of photons per second? Explain answer

2. I don't know if I've been doing it right. I've been using einstein's photoelectric effect to get the energy of each (E=hf), but I don't know how to relate this to the actual emition of photons. Please help! I'm the biggest novice :(

3. (105.2 x 10^6 s^-1) x (6.626 x 10^-34) = 6.97 x 10^-26

(701 x 10^3 s^-1) x (6.626 x 10^-34) = 4.64 x 10^-28

Physics news on Phys.org
You've found the energy of the FM station's photons, and the energy of the AM station's photons.

If you know that they both have the same power output, that means that each station is pumping out enough photons of energy [tex]E=hf[/tex] every second, so that the energy per unit time, equals the output, [tex]P[/tex]. How would you relate that mathematically? Try using an arbitrary symbol like [tex]n[/tex] for the number of photons emitted per second.

hmmm... would it be

N photons/sec = Power / photon energy

i'm new to making equations so i don't really know how to write it out, but it is making some sense in my head and it's working. thanks alot! I justdon't know how to put it into an acceptable equation form, aka what the value of P should be.

Just think about it. E=hf gives the energy EACH photon has. Which radio station gives off lower-energy photons? Since the photons have lower energy, does the station have to give off more or less photons to emit with the same power as the other station?

Related to Do FM and AM Radio Stations Emit Different Numbers of Photons?

What is the difference between FM and AM stations?

FM (Frequency Modulation) and AM (Amplitude Modulation) are two methods of broadcasting radio signals. The main difference between them is how they carry the information. FM stations vary the frequency of the radio waves to transmit sound, while AM stations vary the amplitude of the waves. This results in FM stations having better sound quality and resistance to noise, while AM stations have a longer range for transmission.

How do FM/AM stations transmit information?

FM/AM stations use radio waves to transmit information. These waves are generated by the radio station's transmitter and are picked up by a receiver, such as a car radio or a home stereo. The information, in the form of audio signals, is then encoded onto the radio waves and transmitted to the receiver. The receiver then converts the radio waves back into sound, allowing us to listen to music, news, and other content.

What is a photon and how is it related to FM/AM stations?

A photon is a fundamental particle of light. It is the smallest unit of light and carries electromagnetic energy. In FM/AM stations, photons are used to transmit information through radio waves. As the radio waves travel through space, they are made up of many photons that carry the encoded information. When these photons reach the receiver, they are converted back into sound.

How do FM/AM stations avoid interference?

FM/AM stations use different frequencies to transmit their signals. This allows them to coexist without interfering with each other. Additionally, FM stations use a technique called "frequency modulation" which makes them less susceptible to interference from other radio signals. AM stations, on the other hand, use "amplitude modulation" which means they have a longer range but are more prone to interference.

What is the role of photons in the reception of FM/AM stations?

Photons play a crucial role in the reception of FM/AM stations. As mentioned before, photons are the carriers of electromagnetic energy and are used to transmit information through radio waves. When these waves reach the receiver, the photons are converted back into sound, allowing us to listen to the broadcasted content. Without photons, it would not be possible to transmit or receive radio signals, and FM/AM stations would not exist.