Flux through distorted surface

In summary, the conversation discussed the distribution of flux through a distorted surface with a source of flux inside a cube. The question was raised about why the flux is evenly distributed in this scenario, and it was deduced that this is due to the medium being homogenous, specifically in a vacuum. The issue of the medium not being mentioned in the problem statement was also addressed.
gracy
There is a distorted surface and the source of the flux is inside the cube

View attachment 93566

I have read that flux through it would be q/2ε0 I want to know Why?It is not my homework problem and I think it does not involve any calculation that's why I did not post it in homework section .There should be some basic reasoning behind it as in a cube flux through one of it's face is q/6ε0 because any of it's face would have 1/6th area .But what's going on here?

Attachments

• H.png
    H.png
    6.8 KB · Views: 734
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
gracy said:
There is a distorted surface
View attachment 93565

I have read that flux through it would be q/2ε0 I want to know Why?It is not my homework problem and I think it does not involve any calculation that's why I did not post it in homework section .There should be some basic reasoning behind it as in a cube flux through one of it's face is q/6ε0 because any of it's face would have 1/6th area .But what's going on here?

So, the source of the flux was inside the cube.

If the source of the flux is within and in the plane of the circle then half the flux will go up into the surface and half will escape downward.

Hornbein said:
So, the source of the flux was inside the cube.
Yes.

ch.png

Hornbein said:
then half the flux will go up into the surface and half will escape downward.
But why equal distribution of flux takes place?

gracy said:

I the distribution from the source is not equal, then we have to know what it is in order to solve the problem. I also assume the problem is solvable. Since we are not told what the distribution of the source is, I deduce it is equal, because otherwise the problem is not solvable.. These are just the sorts of conventions one has to deal with when solving toy problems of this type.

gracy said:
Since the medium in which the charge is placed is homogenous (i.e. with same permittivity everywhere), flux will be uniformly distrobuted in all the directions.

cnh1995 said:
Since the medium in which the charge is placed is homogenous (here vacuum),
You mean medium surrounding the distorted surface is vacuum?But nothing such is mentioned.

gracy said:
You mean medium surrounding the distorted surface is vacuum?But nothing such is mentioned.
There's εo in your answer in #1. If the medium weren't homogenous, there would be something more given in the problem statement, as Hornbein said in #6.

Related to Flux through distorted surface

1. What is flux through a distorted surface?

Flux through a distorted surface is a measure of the flow of a vector field through a surface that has been deformed or distorted from its original shape. This can occur in various physical systems, such as fluid flow or electromagnetism.

2. How is flux through a distorted surface calculated?

The calculation of flux through a distorted surface involves using the surface integral of the vector field over the surface. This can be done by breaking down the surface into smaller, more manageable regions and calculating the flux through each of these regions.

3. What is the significance of flux through a distorted surface?

Flux through a distorted surface is an important concept in understanding the behavior of vector fields in different physical systems. It can help us understand the rate of flow or distribution of a certain quantity through a given surface, and can be used in various calculations and applications.

4. How does the distortion of a surface affect flux?

The distortion of a surface can have a significant impact on the flux through that surface. This is because the distortion can change the shape, orientation, and size of the surface, which in turn can alter the flow of the vector field through it.

5. Can flux through a distorted surface be negative?

Yes, flux through a distorted surface can be negative. This occurs when the vector field is flowing in the opposite direction of the surface's normal vector. In other words, the flux is directed inward instead of outward, resulting in a negative value.