Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Flux of the vector field F

evinda

MHB Site Helper
Apr 13, 2013
Hello again!!! :)
I am given the following exercise:
Find the flux of the vector field $\overrightarrow{F}=zx \hat{i}+ zy \hat{j}+z^2 \hat{k}$ of the surface that consists of the first octant of the sphere $x^2+y^2+z^2=a^2(x,y,z \geq 0).$

That's what I did so far:

$\hat{n}=\frac{\nabla{G}}{| \nabla{G} |}=\frac{x \hat{i}+ y\hat{j}+ z\hat{k}}{a}$

Flux=$\int_C{\overrightarrow{F} \cdot \hat{n}}ds=\int_C{(zx \hat{i}+zy \hat{j}+z^2 \hat{k}) \frac{x \hat{i}+y \hat{j} +z \hat{k}}{a}}ds=\int_C{\frac{zx^2+zy^2+z^3}{a}}ds$

How can I continue? Do I have to use spherical coordinates? Or can I solve this with these coordinates? :confused:

Last edited:

Klaas van Aarsen

MHB Seeker
Staff member
Mar 5, 2012
Hello again!!! :)
I am given the following exercise:
Find the flux of the vector field $\overrightarrow{F}=-y \hat{i}+ x \hat{j}$ of the surface that consists of the first octant of the sphere $x^2+y^2+z^2=a^2(x,y,z \geq 0).$

That's what I did so far:

$\hat{n}=\frac{\nabla{G}}{| \nabla{G} |}=\frac{x \hat{i}+ y\hat{j}+ z\hat{k}}{a}$

Flux=$\int_C{\overrightarrow{F} \cdot \hat{n}}ds=\int_C{(zx \hat{i}+zy \hat{j}+z^2 \hat{k}) \frac{x \hat{i}+y \hat{j} +z \hat{k}}{a}}ds=\int_C{\frac{zx^2+zy^2+z^3}{a}}ds$

How can I continue? Do I have to use spherical coordinates? Or can I solve this with these coordinates? :confused:
Hi!! :rolleyes:

Which $\overrightarrow{F}$ are you supposed to integrate?

Is it $\overrightarrow{F}=-y \hat{i}+ x \hat{j}$, or $\overrightarrow{F}=zx \hat{i}+zy \hat{j}+z^2 \hat{k}$?

In the first case, you can use the $\overrightarrow{F} = -\rho \mathbf{\hat \phi}$ in cylindrical coordinates.
Or $\overrightarrow{F} = -r \sin \theta \mathbf{\hat \phi}$ in spherical coordinates.

A good alternative is to apply Gauss's divergence theorem.
You will have to compensate for the coordinate planes (assuming they are not included), but they are easy to integrate.

evinda

MHB Site Helper
Apr 13, 2013
Hi!! :rolleyes:

Which $\overrightarrow{F}$ are you supposed to integrate?

Is it $\overrightarrow{F}=-y \hat{i}+ x \hat{j}$, or $\overrightarrow{F}=zx \hat{i}+zy \hat{j}+z^2 \hat{k}$?

In the first case, you can use the $\overrightarrow{F} = -\rho \mathbf{\hat \phi}$ in cylindrical coordinates.
Or $\overrightarrow{F} = -r \sin \theta \mathbf{\hat \phi}$ in spherical coordinates.

A good alternative is to apply Gauss's divergence theorem.
You will have to compensate for the coordinate planes (assuming they are not included), but they are easy to integrate.
Oh,sorry!!!! :eek: I accidentally wrote the vector field of an other exercise..I meant this vector field: $\overrightarrow{F}=zx \hat{i}+zy \hat{j}+z^2 \hat{k}$ !!!
Why can I apply the Gauss's divergence theorem?? Is it a closed path??

Klaas van Aarsen

MHB Seeker
Staff member
Mar 5, 2012
Oh,sorry!!!! :eek: I accidentally wrote the vector field of an other exercise..I meant this vector field: $\overrightarrow{F}=zx \hat{i}+zy \hat{j}+z^2 \hat{k}$ !!!
Now that I'm looking a bit better, I can see that $\overrightarrow{F}$ can be written in spherical form fairly easily.
Can you find it?

So a spherical integration seems appropriate.

Why can I apply the Gauss's divergence theorem?? Is it a closed path??
Well, you wrote an integral on a path, but apparently you are supposed to integrate over a surface.

And no, it is not a closed surface, but if you include the coordinate planes, it is a closed surface. Afterward you will have to subtract the integrations over the coordinate planes.

For reference, Gauss's divergence theorem is:
$$\bigcirc\!\!\!\!\!\!\!\!\iint_S \mathbf F \cdot \mathbf{\hat n}dS = \iiint_V \nabla \cdot \mathbf F dV$$

evinda

MHB Site Helper
Apr 13, 2013
Now that I'm looking a bit better, I can see that $\overrightarrow{F}$ can be written in spherical form fairly easily.
Can you find it?

So a spherical integration seems appropriate.

Well, you wrote an integral on a path, but apparently you are supposed to integrate over a surface.

And no, it is not a closed surface, but if you include the coordinate planes, it is a closed surface. Afterward you will have to subtract the integrations over the coordinate planes.

For reference, Gauss's divergence theorem is:
$$\bigcirc\!\!\!\!\!\!\!\!\iint_S \mathbf F \cdot \mathbf{\hat n}dS = \iiint_V \nabla \cdot \mathbf F dV$$
The spherical coordinates are:
$x=a \cos{\theta} \sin{\phi}$
$y=a \sin{\theta} \sin{\phi}$
$z=a \cos{\phi}$
$0 \leq \theta \leq \frac{\pi}{4}$
$0 \leq \phi \leq \frac{\pi}{4}$

So $\overrightarrow{F}=a^2 \cos{\theta} \sin{\phi}\cos{\phi}\hat{i}+a^2\sin{\theta} \sin{\phi}\cos{\phi}\hat{j}+a^2\cos^2{\phi}\hat{k}$.

$\hat{n}=\frac{a \cos{\theta} \sin{\phi} \hat{i}+a \sin{\theta} \sin{\phi} \hat{j}+a \cos{\phi} \hat{k}}{a}=\cos{\theta} \sin{\phi} \hat{i}+ \sin{\theta} \sin{\phi} \hat{j}+ \cos{\phi} \hat{k}$

Flux=$\int_C{\overrightarrow{F} \cdot \hat{n}}ds=\int_C{(a^2\cos^2\theta \sin^2{\phi}\cos{\phi}+a^2\sin^2{\theta} \sin^2{\phi}\cos{\phi}+a^2\cos^3{\phi})}d\theta d\phi=\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{4}}\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{4}}{a^2\cos{\phi}}d\theta d\phi=\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{4}}{\frac{\pi}{4}a^2\cos{\phi} d \phi}=\frac{\pi}{4}a^2\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}$

I hope that the calculations are right...

But..is that what I did correct or have I done something wrong?? (Thinking)

Klaas van Aarsen

MHB Seeker
Staff member
Mar 5, 2012
The spherical coordinates are:
$x=a \cos{\theta} \sin{\phi}$
$y=a \sin{\theta} \sin{\phi}$
$z=a \cos{\phi}$
$0 \leq \theta \leq \frac{\pi}{4}$
$0 \leq \phi \leq \frac{\pi}{4}$

So $\overrightarrow{F}=a^2 \cos{\theta} \sin{\phi}\cos{\phi}\hat{i}+a^2\sin{\theta} \sin{\phi}\cos{\phi}\hat{j}+a^2\cos^2{\phi}\hat{k}$.

$\hat{n}=\frac{a \cos{\theta} \sin{\phi} \hat{i}+a \sin{\theta} \sin{\phi} \hat{j}+a \cos{\phi} \hat{k}}{a}=\cos{\theta} \sin{\phi} \hat{i}+ \sin{\theta} \sin{\phi} \hat{j}+ \cos{\phi} \hat{k}$

Flux=$\int_C{\overrightarrow{F} \cdot \hat{n}}ds=\int_C{(a^2\cos^2\theta \sin^2{\phi}\cos{\phi}+a^2\sin^2{\theta} \sin^2{\phi}\cos{\phi}+a^2\cos^3{\phi})}d\theta d\phi=\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{4}}\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{4}}{a^2\cos{\phi}}d\theta d\phi=\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{4}}{\frac{\pi}{4}a^2\cos{\phi} d \phi}=\frac{\pi}{4}a^2\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}$

I hope that the calculations are right...

But..is that what I did correct or have I done something wrong?? (Thinking)
Almost.

Your calculation of $\mathbf F \cdot \mathbf{\hat n}$ is correct.

But in spherical coordinates the surface element $ds = r^2\sin\phi d\theta d\phi = a^2\sin\phi d\theta d\phi$.
(Formally: the absolute value of the Jacobian is $r^2\sin\phi $.)
You have left out this factor $a^2\sin\phi$.

Oh, and the angle limits of an octant are $\frac \pi 2$ instead of $\frac \pi 4$.

Btw, an easier calculation of the dot product is by using the local spherical basis $(\mathbf{\hat r}, \mathbf{\hat \phi}, \mathbf{\hat \theta})$:
$$\mathbf F = z(x\mathbf{\hat i} + y\mathbf{\hat j} + z\mathbf{\hat k}) = zr\mathbf{\hat r}$$
$$\mathbf{\hat n} = \mathbf{\hat r}$$
Therefore:
$$\mathbf F \cdot \mathbf{\hat n} = zr\mathbf{\hat r} \cdot \mathbf{\hat r} = zr = r\cos\phi \cdot r = a^2 \cos\phi$$

evinda

MHB Site Helper
Apr 13, 2013
Almost.

Your calculation of $\mathbf F \cdot \mathbf{\hat n}$ is correct.

But in spherical coordinates the surface element $ds = r^2\sin\phi d\theta d\phi = a^2\sin\phi d\theta d\phi$.
(Formally: the absolute value of the Jacobian is $r^2\sin\phi $.)
You have left out this factor $a^2\sin\phi$.

Oh, and the angle limits of an octant are $\frac \pi 2$ instead of $\frac \pi 4$.

Btw, an easier calculation of the dot product is by using the local spherical basis $(\mathbf{\hat r}, \mathbf{\hat \phi}, \mathbf{\hat \theta})$:
$$\mathbf F = z(x\mathbf{\hat i} + y\mathbf{\hat j} + z\mathbf{\hat k}) = zr\mathbf{\hat r}$$
$$\mathbf{\hat n} = \mathbf{\hat r}$$
Therefore:
$$\mathbf F \cdot \mathbf{\hat n} = zr\mathbf{\hat r} \cdot \mathbf{\hat r} = zr = r\cos\phi \cdot r = a^2 \cos\phi$$
A ok.. :eek: So is it like that?

Flux=$\int_C{\overrightarrow{F} \cdot \hat{n}}ds=\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}}{(a^2 \cos^2{\theta} \sin^2{\phi} \cos{\phi}+a^2 \sin^2{\theta}\sin^2{\phi}\cos{\phi}+a^2 \cos^3{\phi})a^2 \sin{\theta}}d \theta d \phi=\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}}{a^4 \cos{\phi} \sin{\theta}}d \theta d \phi=\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}}{a^4 \cos{\phi}}d\phi=a^4$

Klaas van Aarsen

MHB Seeker
Staff member
Mar 5, 2012
A ok.. :eek: So is it like that?

Flux=$\int_C{\overrightarrow{F} \cdot \hat{n}}ds=\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}}{(a^2 \cos^2{\theta} \sin^2{\phi} \cos{\phi}+a^2 \sin^2{\theta}\sin^2{\phi}\cos{\phi}+a^2 \cos^3{\phi})a^2 \sin{\theta}}d \theta d \phi=\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}}{a^4 \cos{\phi} \sin{\theta}}d \theta d \phi=\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}}{a^4 \cos{\phi}}d\phi=a^4$
Almost.

You appear to have chosen $\phi$ as the angle with the z-axis (which surprises me actually, but conventions vary).
With that choice the extra factor must be $a^2\sin\phi$ instead of $a^2\sin\theta$. :eek:

evinda

MHB Site Helper
Apr 13, 2013
Almost.

You appear to have chosen $\phi$ as the angle with the z-axis (which surprises me actually, but conventions vary).
With that choice the extra factor must be $a^2\sin\phi$ instead of $a^2\sin\theta$. :eek:
I changed this:
Flux=$\int_C{\overrightarrow{F} \cdot \hat{n}}ds=\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}}{(a^2 \cos^2{\theta} \sin^2{\phi} \cos{\phi}+a^2 \sin^2{\theta}\sin^2{\phi}\cos{\phi}+a^2 \cos^3{\phi})a^2 \sin{\phi}}d \theta d \phi=\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}}{a^4 \cos{\phi} \sin{\phi}}d \theta d \phi=\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}}{a^4 \frac{\pi}{2}\cos{\phi} \sin{\phi}}d\phi=a^4\frac{\pi}{4}$

Is it right now or have I done something wrong? :eek:

Klaas van Aarsen

MHB Seeker
Staff member
Mar 5, 2012
I changed this:
Flux=$\int_C{\overrightarrow{F} \cdot \hat{n}}ds=\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}}{(a^2 \cos^2{\theta} \sin^2{\phi} \cos{\phi}+a^2 \sin^2{\theta}\sin^2{\phi}\cos{\phi}+a^2 \cos^3{\phi})a^2 \sin{\phi}}d \theta d \phi=\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}}{a^4 \cos{\phi} \sin{\phi}}d \theta d \phi=\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}}{a^4 \frac{\pi}{2}\cos{\phi} \sin{\phi}}d\phi=a^4\frac{\pi}{4}$

Is it right now or have I done something wrong? :eek:
It is right now!!! (Wink)

evinda

MHB Site Helper
Apr 13, 2013

evinda

MHB Site Helper
Apr 13, 2013
It is right now!!! (Wink)
I am looking again at the exercise... Is it maybe like that:

$$ds= \frac{|\nabla{f}|}{|\nabla{f} \cdot \hat{k}|}$$

? Or am I wrong? :confused: (Blush)

I found that $\displaystyle{ \frac{|\nabla{f}|}{|\nabla{f} \cdot \hat{k}|}=\frac{a}{z}}$..

Klaas van Aarsen

MHB Seeker
Staff member
Mar 5, 2012
I am looking again at the exercise... Is it maybe like that:

$$ds= \frac{|\nabla{f}|}{|\nabla{f} \cdot \hat{k}|}$$

? Or am I wrong? :confused: (Blush)

I found that $\displaystyle{ \frac{|\nabla{f}|}{|\nabla{f} \cdot \hat{k}|}=\frac{a}{z}}$..
What you write is correct, but I don't quite see how you might solve the problem with it.

I think you are referring to the formula:
$$\iint g(\overrightarrow R)d\sigma = \iint g(\overrightarrow R) \frac{|\nabla{f}|}{|\nabla{f} \cdot \hat{k}|}dA$$
But this formula only works for integrating a scalar function $g(\overrightarrow R)$ over a surface given by $f(\overrightarrow R)=0$.

Instead, in this problem, a vector function has to be integrated. (Doh)