Flux Integral: How to find ds for line integrals in general

In summary, the process of finding ds depends on the coordinate system being used. In general, for coordinates ξ and η, the area enclosed by points (ξ, η), (ξ+dξ, η), (ξ+dξ, η+dη), and (ξ, η+dη) can be found by multiplying dξ and dη. In Cartesian coordinates, dxdy is the appropriate factor, while in plane polar coordinates, the factor is r. For the surface of a sphere in spherical polar coordinates, a different Jacobian is needed.
Marcin H

Homework Statement

Screen Shot 2017-10-15 at 1.49.35 PM.png

Homework Equations

flux = int(b (dot) ds)

The Attempt at a Solution

I just wanted clarification on finding ds. I understand why ds is in the positive yhat direction (just do rhr) but I don't understand where the dxdz come from. How do we find ds in general?

Physics news on Phys.org
Marcin H said:
but I don't understand where the dxdz come from.
It s just the area of a rectangular element, dx by dz, in the xz plane. In polar it would have been rdrdθ, etc.

haruspex said:
It s just the area of a rectangular element, dx by dz, in the xz plane. In polar it would have been rdrdθ, etc.
So what is the general procedure for finding ds? I feel like I struggle determining ds for problems.

Marcin H said:
So what is the general procedure for finding ds? I feel like I struggle determining ds for problems.
It depends on your coordinate system. With general coordinates, ξ, η say, you consider the product dξdη. In general, the area enclosed by the points (ξ,η), (ξ+dξ,η), (ξ+dξ,η+dη), (ξ,η+dη) might have area equal to dξdη. To make the right area you may need to multiply by a Jacobian.

In the case of Cartesian coordinates dxdy does have the right area.
For plane polar coordinates you need a factor r. This works because the increments dr and rdθ are at right angles, so form a near-enough rectangle.
For the surface of a sphere in spherical polar a different Jacobian is needed.

Related to Flux Integral: How to find ds for line integrals in general

What is a flux integral?

A flux integral is a type of line integral that measures the flow of a vector field through a surface. It is used in physics and mathematics to calculate the amount of a quantity passing through a given surface.

How do you find ds for line integrals?

To find ds for line integrals, you first need to parameterize the curve or surface you are integrating over. This means expressing the curve or surface as a function of one or more variables. Then, you can use the formula ds = √(dx² + dy² + dz²) for curves in three dimensions or ds = √(dx² + dy²) for curves in two dimensions.

What is the general formula for a flux integral?

The general formula for a flux integral is ∫∫(F · n)ds, where F is the vector field, n is the unit normal vector to the surface, and ds is the differential of the surface area. This formula is also known as the surface integral of F.

What are some applications of flux integrals?

Flux integrals have many applications in physics and engineering. They are used to calculate the electric and magnetic fields in electromagnetic theory, the amount of fluid passing through a surface in fluid dynamics, and the flow of heat through a surface in thermodynamics.

What are the limitations of flux integrals?

One limitation of flux integrals is that they can only be used to calculate the flux of a vector field through a closed surface. They cannot be used for open surfaces or surfaces with holes. Additionally, the calculation of flux integrals can be complex and time-consuming, requiring knowledge of multivariable calculus and vector analysis.