Flux density of solenoid beyond the pole

In summary, the individual is trying to determine the force exerted by a solenoid on an object located a certain distance away. They are using the equation F=BIL, but are unsure of how to calculate the magnetic flux density of the solenoid. They mention the equation B=(uNI)/L, but are unsure if it is correct because the L in both equations would cancel out. They are looking for the equation for the axial field of a solenoid beyond the end of the coil, and a provided link offers the desired information. The individual expresses gratitude for the assistance.
Jake110
I’m making a solenoid and I’m trying to work out how much force it exerts on an object X meters away from it. I’m using F=BIL to get the force but I don’t know the equation for getting the magnetic flux density of the solenoid other than B=(uNI)/L but that’s just for the centre and I need it for outside the solenoid but in line for the object to get pulled towards one of the poles.

Although I’m not sure if B=(uNI)/L is the right equation because the L in that and the L in F=BIL will cancel out when putting them together and it doesn't make sense if the length of the solenoid has no effect on the force it exerts.

Physics news on Phys.org
yes, that is exactly what i was looking for, thank you.

Related to Flux density of solenoid beyond the pole

What is flux density of a solenoid beyond the pole?

The flux density of a solenoid beyond the pole is the measure of the magnetic field strength at a distance beyond the end of the solenoid. It is affected by factors such as the number of turns in the solenoid, the current flowing through it, and the distance from the pole.

How is the flux density of a solenoid beyond the pole calculated?

The flux density can be calculated using the formula B = μ₀NΙ/l, where B is the flux density, μ₀ is the permeability of free space, N is the number of turns, I is the current, and l is the distance from the pole.

What is the significance of the flux density of a solenoid beyond the pole?

The flux density is an important factor in determining the strength and behavior of the magnetic field around a solenoid. It is used in various applications such as electromagnets, electric motors, and generators.

How does the flux density of a solenoid beyond the pole change with distance?

The flux density decreases as the distance from the pole increases. This is because the magnetic field spreads out as it moves away from the solenoid, resulting in a lower field strength at a greater distance.

What are some factors that can affect the flux density of a solenoid beyond the pole?

The number of turns in the solenoid, the current flowing through it, and the distance from the pole all affect the flux density. Other factors such as the material of the solenoid and the presence of any nearby magnetic objects can also impact the flux density.