Flux Density of Salt in Horizontal Tube: How Does Advection Affect Transfer?

In summary, the question is asking for the flux density of salt in a horizontal tube connecting seawater with a salinity of 30g/L to freshwater with a salinity of 0g/L, with a length of 10cm and assuming no advection occurs. The equation for flux density is J = C x V, where C is the concentration in g/m3 and V is the velocity in m/s. The concentration can be calculated as 30g/L x 1L/0.01m3 = 3000g/m3. The statement "assuming no advection occurs" means that there is no transfer of salt through the tube, so the velocity would be 0 m/s in this case. However,
kathyt.25

Homework Statement

What is the flux density of salt in a horizontal tube, 10cm in length, connecting seawater (salinity 30g/L) to a tank of freshwater (salinity ~0) assuming no advection occurs?

Homework Equations

J (g/m2s) = C (g/m3) x V (m/s)

The Attempt at a Solution

C = 30g/L * 1L/0.01m3 = 3000g/m3
The calculation is obviously really simple, but I'm not sure what to use for time when calculating velocity (m/s). I'm given the length 10cm, but I'm assuming time has something to do with the statement "assuming no advection occurs". I feel like I'm overlooking some basic assumption.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is advection? How can the salt be transferred through the tube?

ehild

Related to Flux Density of Salt in Horizontal Tube: How Does Advection Affect Transfer?

1. What is flux density of salt?

Flux density of salt refers to the amount of salt particles, or ions, present in a given volume of water. It is typically measured in units of mass per volume, such as milligrams per liter.

2. How is flux density of salt calculated?

Flux density of salt is calculated by dividing the mass of salt in a solution by the volume of the solution. This can be represented by the formula: flux density = mass of salt / volume of solution.

3. What factors can affect the flux density of salt?

The flux density of salt can be affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, and the amount of salt added to the solution. It can also be influenced by the concentration of other substances in the solution, as well as the type of salt used.

4. Why is flux density of salt important?

Flux density of salt is important because it can impact various chemical and physical processes, such as osmosis, diffusion, and conductivity. It is also used in various industries, such as food and beverage production, agriculture, and water treatment.

5. How is flux density of salt measured?

Flux density of salt can be measured using various methods, such as gravimetric analysis, ion-selective electrodes, and conductivity meters. The appropriate method will depend on the specific needs and applications of the measurement.