Flux above a flat horizontal surface

In summary, the question asks for the magnitude of an electric field given a specific electric flux passing through a flat horizontal surface with a uniform electric field. The individual asking the question has tried to use the formula E=I/(Acos(90-θ)), where I is the flux and A is the area, to solve for the magnitude but has received varying answers from their calculator. They believe that the magnitude should fall somewhere in the range of 400-650 N/C, and explain their reasoning based on the angle and the minimum field required for the flux. They suggest using the trig function ##1/\sin(15^\circ)## to calculate the answer by hand instead of relying on the calculator's results.
sea95
So my question is, am I missing any key thing in answering the question below?

Question: An electric flux of 149 N.m2/C passes through a flat horizontal surface that has an area of 0.67 m2. The flux is due to a uniform electric field. What is the magnitude of the electric field if the field points 15degrees above the horizontal?

So I've tried E=I/(Acos(90-θ)
I=flux, and A= area, 0.67

E= 149/(0.67cos75)

And I have gotten...

=859.24 (this seemed too large)

=204.98 (I didn't use parenthesis, and too low)

=57.55 (this was just an odd one my calculator gave me)

So, I believe that it should fall somewhere in the 400-650ish range but please help, I have no idea of what to do with my calculator's answers

Physics news on Phys.org
believe that it should fall somewhere in the 400-650ish range
... what leads you to that belief?

If the angle is 0, then E=I/A = 222.39N/C - which would be a minimum, right?
As the angle gets shallower, then you need a bigger E field to get the same flux.

Your belief is that 15deg should give you 2-3 times the minimum field required for the flux?
What is ##1/\sin(15^\circ)## ? You don't have to trust your calculator if you don't want to - figure the trig by hand.

Related to Flux above a flat horizontal surface

What is flux above a flat horizontal surface?

Flux above a flat horizontal surface refers to the amount of energy or particles passing through a given area of the surface. It is a measure of the flow of a physical quantity through a surface.

How is flux above a flat horizontal surface calculated?

The flux above a flat horizontal surface can be calculated by taking the dot product of the vector field and the unit normal vector to the surface. This calculation takes into account both the magnitude and direction of the flow of the physical quantity.

What factors affect the flux above a flat horizontal surface?

The flux above a flat horizontal surface can be affected by various factors such as the surface area, the strength and direction of the vector field, and the orientation of the surface. The presence of obstacles or barriers can also impact the flux.

What are some real-world applications of flux above a flat horizontal surface?

Flux above a flat horizontal surface is an important concept in fields such as physics, engineering, and meteorology. It is used to understand the flow of various physical quantities such as heat, fluid, and electric fields. It is also utilized in weather forecasting and the design of structures.

How can flux above a flat horizontal surface be manipulated or controlled?

There are several ways to manipulate or control the flux above a flat horizontal surface. For example, changing the orientation of the surface or altering the strength of the vector field can affect the flux. Additionally, the use of barriers or deflectors can also influence the flow of the physical quantity.