Fluids question - Pump flowrate ofdue to elevation head

In summary: The power required to operate the pump decreases as the head in the system increases because the pump can now work at a lower flowrate.
nlaham
Hey guys, I've been strugling with a concept recently and was hoping someone familiar with fluid dynamics could answer.

I am trying to calculate the flowrate of a flow circuit with a given pump. I have the pump performance curve (flow vs. head) of the pump and I know all the given pipe lengths. I am able to calculate the friction head loss from the piping and other valves/components, but here is the concept I struggle with.

I am using a computer simulation to verify my results, and when I change the elevation of the pipes, I don't see a change in flowrate. Now my initial response was, yes the flow does goes up, but since it's a circuit, it returns back to the source at the same elevation. So the net elevation change was 0 over the circuit.

I just want to make sure I'm saying this right. So does this mean that if I were to pump the fluid up the side of a building, it wouldn't matter how high the building is, I would get the same flowrate if it was 2 stories, or 10 stories? (This is of course assuming the pump has the required head to get up the building)

Another way to say it is, as I approach the maximum head of pump going higher and higher up the building, the flow rate remains constant, and then once that max head is reached, the pump wouldn't be able to get over the top and the flow would go from X to 0 gpm??

Here is my conclusion (please correct me if I'm wrong): This would imply that in a closed loop circuit as long as the net elvation change is zero, other elevation changes within the circuit do not affect the head of the system, and therefore they don't affect the flowrate. As long as the elevation change is not higher than what the pump can handle, otherwise the flow would never have a return path, and the flow would go to 0 due to the added head of elevation without return from gravity.

It just seemed odd to me that even in a recirculation line, the height does not affect the flowrate. Can anyone explain this better to me or point out my mistakes.

Thanks,
Nick L

Physics news on Phys.org
Your understanding is correct.

Well that was easy. Thanks.

Follow up question- Does the power required to operate the pump decrease as the head in the system increases? If head is added to the system, the pump will consquently run at slower flowrates. When this happens I am seeing that the power to operate becomes less. My first inclination was that if the flowrate decreases, but the head is increased, the pump still has to work just as hard, but maybe I'm wrong about that.

I'm not sure if that makes sense.

Related to Fluids question - Pump flowrate ofdue to elevation head

1. What is the relationship between pump flowrate and elevation head in a fluid system?

In a fluid system, the elevation head is the potential energy of the fluid due to its position above a reference point. As the elevation head increases, the pressure at that point increases. This increase in pressure causes the fluid to flow from high elevation to low elevation. The pump flowrate is directly proportional to the elevation head, meaning that as the elevation head increases, so does the pump flowrate.

2. How does the pump flowrate affect the performance of a fluid system?

The pump flowrate is a critical factor in the performance of a fluid system. It determines the rate at which the fluid is moved through the system, which in turn affects the system's overall efficiency. If the pump flowrate is too low, the system may not be able to meet the required flow demands. On the other hand, if the pump flowrate is too high, it can cause the system to operate at a higher pressure, leading to potential damage and inefficiency.

3. What factors can affect the pump flowrate due to elevation head?

Several factors can affect the pump flowrate due to elevation head, including the size and type of pump, the elevation difference between the inlet and outlet of the pump, and the properties of the fluid being pumped. Other factors such as friction losses, pump efficiency, and system design can also have an impact on the pump flowrate.

4. How can the pump flowrate due to elevation head be calculated?

The pump flowrate due to elevation head can be calculated using the following formula: Q = (H x A) / t, where Q is the pump flowrate in cubic meters per second, H is the elevation head in meters, A is the cross-sectional area of the pipe in square meters, and t is the time in seconds. This formula takes into account the relationship between the elevation head and pump flowrate, as well as the cross-sectional area of the pipe.

5. How can the pump flowrate due to elevation head be optimized?

To optimize the pump flowrate due to elevation head, it is essential to consider the system's design, including the pipe size, pump type, and pump location. Additionally, factors such as friction losses, pump efficiency, and system demand should be carefully evaluated and adjusted accordingly. Regular maintenance and monitoring of the system's performance can also help ensure that the pump flowrate due to elevation head remains optimized over time.