Fluids and pressure with kinematics

In summary, the pressure beneath the piston is maintained at a reduced (but constant) value by means of the pump. A rope of negligible mass is attached to the piston and passes over two massless pulleys. The other end of the rope is attached to a block that has a mass of 9.5 kg. The block falls from rest down through a distance of 1.25 m in 3.30 s. Ignoring friction, find the absolute pressure beneath the piston.
emag
1. There is a cylinder fitted with a piston, the piston has a mass m1 of 0.50 kg and a radius of 2.50 x 10^-2 m. The top of the piston is open to the atmosphere. The pressure underneath the piston is maintained at a reduced (but constant) value by means of the pump. As shown, a rope of negligible mass is attached to the piston and passes over two massless pulleys. The other end of the rope is attached to a block that has a mass of m2 = 9.5 kg. The block falls from rest down through a distance of 1.25 m in 3.30 s. Ignoring friction, find the absolute pressure beneath the piston.

m1 = .5 kg
m2 = 9.5 kg
R = 2.5x10^-2 m

d =1.25 m
T = 3.30s

Homework Equations

P2 = P1 + pgh
P=F/Area
acceleration = V2-V1/T2-T1
F=MA

The Attempt at a Solution

(m1+m2)a-m2*g+m1*g+Patm = P2

didn't work, I tried comparing the amount of force required to oppose the force of gravity in order to make the descending block have an acceleration that matches the calculated acceleration for the falling block. Any help on this problem would be most appreciated, I have a few more stumpers if anyone thinks they know thermodynamics well enough

Attachments

• pressure.gif
    pressure.gif
    2.6 KB · Views: 472
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the forums,

I can't see your attachment yet (pending approval), but perhaps conservation of energy would be the way to go?

| m2
|
| | |
| | |
|[m1]|
| |
| ===={pump}

hmm that didnt come out right... "." represent empty space
...___________
...O .....O
...|... |
...|...|
...|..... m2
...|
|..|...|
|..|...|
|[m1]|
|...|
|...|===={pump}

I would love to use conservation of energy equations but I am unsure of how to implement them in this particular problem

Okay, if you don't want to use conservation of energy that's no problem. I think the question is leaning towards kinematics anyway. With respect to your equation;

(m1+m2)a-m2*g+m1*g+Patm = P2

Note that pressure, is not equivalent to force. You have to multiply the the pressure by the area over which it is applied in order to represent the force. Do you follow?

I tried that but in the end since Patm = F1/A
if you have Patm which I was using 1.013x10^5 you have to multiply that times the area then divide it again by the area in the equation: Patm = f1/a
= Patm*a/a = patm all over again... I even tried setting p2 = F/A and trying it that way but it didnt work, and I am not sure if I am even supposed to be using 1.013x10^5 because it isn't listed in the problem.. I don't think I am supposed to assume anything in this..

Atmospheric pressure, it just one of them numbers you are expected to know. So now your equation becomes;

[tex]P_2A = P_{atm}A + (m_1-m_2)g + (m_2+m_1)a[/tex]

You can determine the acceleration yourself, which only leaves one unknown, P2.

but how did you get PatmA and P2A? is that when you substitute F/A for P

emag said:
but how did you get PatmA and P2A? is that when you substitute F/A for P
Correct, from the definition of pressure; [itex]P = F/A \Rightarrow F = PA[/itex].

Thank you i'll have to wait till monday to see if it works.

emag said:
Thank you i'll have to wait till monday to see if it works.
It was a pleasure, let us know how you get on.

Related to Fluids and pressure with kinematics

1. What is the difference between fluids and solids?

Fluids are substances that can flow and take the shape of their container, while solids have a fixed shape and volume. Additionally, fluids are able to easily deform under the influence of external forces, while solids resist deformation.

2. How does pressure affect the flow of fluids?

Pressure is defined as the force per unit area. In fluids, pressure is responsible for the motion of the fluid. An increase in pressure results in a faster flow of fluid, while a decrease in pressure results in a slower flow.

3. What is Bernoulli's principle and how is it related to fluids and pressure?

Bernoulli's principle states that as the speed of a fluid increases, its pressure decreases. This means that fluid flow and pressure are inversely proportional. This principle is often used to explain the lift force on an airplane wing, where the faster-moving air above the wing creates a lower pressure and thus a higher lift force.

4. How is kinematics related to fluids and pressure?

Kinematics is the study of motion without considering its cause. In the context of fluids and pressure, kinematics can be used to analyze the motion of fluids and how pressure affects that motion. For example, kinematic equations can be used to calculate the velocity of a fluid as it flows through a pipe with varying pressure.

5. What are some real-world applications of fluids and pressure with kinematics?

Fluids and pressure with kinematics have many practical applications, including in the design of pumps, turbines, and other fluid machinery. They are also important in understanding and predicting weather patterns, ocean currents, and the behavior of fluids in industrial processes. Additionally, the principles of fluids and pressure with kinematics are used in the medical field, such as in blood flow and respiratory systems.