Fluid mechanics - submerged triangular surfaces

In summary, you are having difficulty with a question because you cannot seem to get the right answer. You are using double integration to find the area. However, you are having difficulty with part C of the question. If you want us to check your work, you'll have to show us.
TimIgoe90
Hi, i am having difficulty with a question because i cannot seem to get the right answer. i don't think i am far off i just know i go wrong somwhere and if you could point that out it would be great. the question is attatched. for the first part i find the equations of the lines of the two sides starting from d. then subtract them to find w (=Xright-Xleft). using double integration i find the area by
A=∫∫dA where limits firstly are X=Xright, X=Xleft and then S=h and S=0. My problem is on part C i cannot get the correct answer which means i have gone somewhere wrong further up, most likely at either the limits I am using or for S or finding w. I am meant to use double integration for these questions and Sc=As|o /A and ***|c= ***|o - A*Sc^2.
Any comments are appreciated, thanks

Attachments

• Untitled.gif
    Untitled.gif
    19 KB · Views: 483
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi TimIgoe90! Welcome to PF! :smile:
TimIgoe90 said:
… for the first part i find the equations of the lines of the two sides starting from d. then subtract them to find w (=Xright-Xleft).

fine so far :smile:
using double integration i find the area by A=∫∫dA where limits firstly are X=Xright, X=Xleft and then S=h and S=0. My problem is on part C i cannot get the correct answer which means i have gone somewhere wrong further up, most likely at either the limits …

yup, your limits can't both be between fixed numbers

if your S limits are from 0 to h, then your x limits will be functions of S

(= the left- and right-most coordinates of that strip in the diagram, of height dh :wink:)

I am sorry not sure i understand. i have found w to be = Xright-Xleft by finding the equation of the lines in terms of S and functions of S. so w= [(b-d)*s/ λh]+[d*s/h]. from my notes i am told that my limits for x should be xleft and xright, which when integrating A=∫∫dA it would give me A=∫wds...what two limits of s would i then need to integrate it? sorry if you already answered but i wasnt sure. thanks

TimIgoe90 said:
i have found w to be = Xright-Xleft by finding the equation of the lines in terms of S and functions of S. so w= [(b-d)*s/ λh]+[d*s/h]. from my notes i am told that my limits for x should be xleft and xright, which when integrating A=∫∫dA it would give me A=∫wds...what two limits of s would i then need to integrate it?

the limits of S are 0 to h

tiny-tim said:
the limits of S are 0 to h

thats what i thought it was. but i cannot seem to get the correct answer for part C. I am not sure where i am going wrong, my answer is close to the required one, so i don't think i am too far off.

if you want us to check your work, you'll have to show us :smile:

That is my working out. Much appreciated

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 410
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 391
it's a little difficult to read, but i think your answer for A is wrong,

you seem to have lost a 1/λ somewhere :confused:

Related to Fluid mechanics - submerged triangular surfaces

1. What is the significance of studying submerged triangular surfaces in fluid mechanics?

Submerged triangular surfaces are commonly found in various engineering and natural systems, such as ship hulls, wings, and riverbeds. Understanding the fluid mechanics of these surfaces is crucial for predicting the behavior of fluids and designing efficient structures.

2. How does the shape of a triangular surface affect the fluid flow around it?

The shape of a triangular surface plays a significant role in determining the flow pattern and pressure distribution around it. For example, a pointed triangular surface may create a strong vortex, while a flat triangular surface may cause less disturbance in the fluid flow.

3. What is the difference between a submerged triangular surface and a submerged rectangular surface?

A submerged rectangular surface has four sides and a submerged triangular surface has three sides. This difference in shape affects the distribution of pressure and shear stress, as well as the overall drag force on the surface.

4. How does the angle of inclination of a submerged triangular surface impact the fluid flow?

The angle of inclination, or the angle at which the triangular surface is submerged in the fluid, affects the magnitude and direction of the resulting forces on the surface. A steeper angle may result in higher drag forces and increased turbulence, while a shallower angle may result in lower drag forces.

5. Can submerged triangular surfaces be used to control fluid flow?

Yes, submerged triangular surfaces can be used as flow control devices in various applications. By strategically placing these surfaces in a fluid flow, the flow pattern and forces can be altered to achieve desired outcomes, such as reducing drag or increasing lift.