Fluid mechanics self-studying book

In summary: If these are not at the undergraduate level then the reader may find the material challenging, although it is not beyond the grasp of a motivated student. The book is well-written and easy to follow, but it is not aimed at the general reader and is not a good introduction to fluid mechanics. In summary, the book is well written but difficult for the beginner. It is not a good introduction to fluid mechanics.
Tommy99
I am a mechanical engineering undergrad and i am currently trying to study fluid mechanics but the books i tried are not sufficient enough in my opinion. I read the first three chapters of Fluid Mechanics : Fundamentals and applications by Cengel and Cimbala, and Fundamentals of Fluid Mechanics by Munson, and Fluid Mechanics by White. In these books i don't feel any connection between the topics, and equations are just thrown and derived without any explanation on why this particular derivation is useful, or on what basis it is done. If anyone could suggest a book that fully explains the topics, and makes justifications and clear derivation of the concepts and ideas i would be very thankful.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can have a look at Kundu, Pijush K.. Fluid Mechanics (4th Edition), Academic Press.

Tommy99 said:
I am a mechanical engineering undergrad and i am currently trying to study fluid mechanics but the books i tried are not sufficient enough in my opinion. I read the first three chapters of Fluid Mechanics : Fundamentals and applications by Cengel and Cimbala, and Fundamentals of Fluid Mechanics by Munson, and Fluid Mechanics by White. In these books i don't feel any connection between the topics, and equations are just thrown and derived without any explanation on why this particular derivation is useful, or on what basis it is done. If anyone could suggest a book that fully explains the topics, and makes justifications and clear derivation of the concepts and ideas i would be very thankful.

Batchelor, G. K., (1967) Introduction to Fluid Mechanics, Cambridge University Press (amazon).

The first three chapters explain at length how the Navier-Stokes equations are derived and the assumptions behind them; the next four chapters examine the behaviour of fluids with constant density and viscosity in detail. Anything involving significant temperature variations or compressibility is, aside from in the first three chapters which derive the governing equations of fluid mechanics in complete generality, beyond the scope of Batchelor, and you will have to look elsewhere.

The mathematical prerequisites for the first three chapters are vector calculus and cartesian tensors on the level of Bourne & Kendall; subsequent chapters require some knowledge of complex variable theory.

Related to Fluid mechanics self-studying book

What is fluid mechanics?

Fluid mechanics is the science that studies the behavior of fluids, including liquids, gases, and plasmas, under various conditions such as flow, pressure, and temperature.

Why should I self-study fluid mechanics?

Self-studying fluid mechanics allows you to learn at your own pace and focus on specific topics that interest you. It also helps develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which are crucial for a career in science or engineering.

What topics should I cover in a fluid mechanics self-study book?

A good fluid mechanics self-study book should cover topics such as fluid properties, fluid statics, fluid dynamics, Bernoulli's principle, continuity equation, Navier-Stokes equations, and applications in engineering.

Do I need a background in mathematics to understand fluid mechanics?

While a basic understanding of mathematics, including calculus, is helpful, it is not necessary to understand fluid mechanics. Many self-study books explain concepts in a simple and accessible manner, making it possible for anyone to learn fluid mechanics.

Are there any useful resources or practice problems for self-studying fluid mechanics?

Yes, many excellent resources, such as online lectures, video tutorials, and practice problems, are available for self-studying fluid mechanics. It is also helpful to consult with a tutor or join online study groups to ask questions and discuss difficult concepts.