Fluid Mechanics: Rain fall on a roof

In summary: The control volume for this problem is defined as the entire roof, so the weight is simply the integral of this expression over the length of the roof.In summary, the problem involves calculating the volumetric flow rate of rain over a roof using the continuity equation and the velocity of the rain. The shear stress on the roof is also to be calculated using a momentum analysis and the weight of rain falling on the roof can be found by multiplying the density of water, the width of the roof, and the height at a given point along the roof.
fogel1497

Homework Statement

The exact problem can be seen in the attached jpeg, and is summarized without figures here:

Homework Equations

Volumetric flow rate: Q = A*V
Continuity equation: (d/dt)*(Integral Of:density*dVolume) + (Integral Of:density*velocity*dA)
Velocity of rain fall down the roof, (parallel to the roof): v = y(h-y)

The Attempt at a Solution

a. Merely wrote the continuity equation down.
b. Since Q=A*V, and I have an expression for the velocity of rainfall down the roof, ( v=y(h-y) ), I merely multiplied that by A to get:

Q = y*h*A - y*A

c. This is as far as I've gotten. By looking at the control volume you can see that mass enters from the top of the control volume at an angle, and at the left hand side directly normal to the control volume, and leaves the control volume at the right hand side normal to the control volume. So:

Min1: (density)*(dx*1)*(cos theta)*(V)
Min2: (density)*(h*1)*(v)
Mout: Min1 + Min2

but if the question wants dQ then it implies that the volumetric flow rate is changing. I am a little confused as to what exactly is wanted in this section, and how to go about solving it.

d. I know that the shear stress Tauyx = dv/dy * viscoscity , but your not given viscosity so even if I had an explicit expression for dv/dy i wouldn't be able to find the shear stress on the roof. I assume I need to apply some kind of momentum analysis to find the change in momentum along the axis parallel to the roof, and attribute this momentum change to the shear stress applied on the fluid by the roof. To do this I define a control volume encompassing the whole roof and need to sum up the momentum of the fluid going 'into' the system in the x-direction, and the momentum of the fluid 'leaving' the system in the x-direction:

(massout * velocityout_x) - (massin*velocityin_x)

(massout * velocityout_x) - (density)(L*1)(V)(cos theta) * (V)(sin theta)

e. I would need to know how h varies with x in order to integrate the density over dX to find the weight, which is my problem in a lot of the preceding parts of this question.

Any help is much appreciated!

Attachments

• HwPrblm4.jpg
    HwPrblm4.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 538
Physics news on Phys.org
§§ COMNo equations were necessary for part e) of the problem. The weight of rain falling on the roof can be found by simply multiplying the density of water, the width of the roof, and the height at a given point along the roof. W = rho*L*h

Related to Fluid Mechanics: Rain fall on a roof

1. What is fluid mechanics?

Fluid mechanics is a branch of physics and engineering that studies the behavior of fluids (liquids and gases) when they are in motion or at rest. It involves the study of the forces and motions of fluids, as well as their interactions with solid objects.

2. How does rain fall on a roof?

Rain falls on a roof due to the force of gravity. As the rain droplets fall from the sky, they are pulled towards the ground by the Earth's gravity. When they reach the roof, they may either flow down the slope of the roof or be absorbed into the material of the roof.

3. What factors affect the flow of rain on a roof?

The flow of rain on a roof is affected by several factors, including the slope and shape of the roof, the material of the roof, the intensity of the rain, and the presence of obstacles or obstructions on the roof's surface.

4. How does fluid mechanics play a role in building design?

Fluid mechanics plays a crucial role in building design, especially in the design of roofs. Engineers must consider the forces and motions of fluids, such as rain, when designing roofs to ensure they can withstand the weight and flow of water without leaking or collapsing.

5. How can fluid mechanics be applied to improve the efficiency of rainwater collection on a roof?

Fluid mechanics can be used to optimize the design of rainwater collection systems on roofs. By studying the flow of rainwater, engineers can determine the most efficient placement and design of gutters, downspouts, and storage tanks to collect and store rainwater for various uses.