Fluid Mechanics Problem: Water Forces on a Parabolic Gate

In summary, the conversation discusses the application of an external force at point A to keep a gate closed. The force can be directed horizontally, vertically, or at an angle. The exercise at hand only involves cases (i) and (ii), and the question is asking for the components of a force in those cases.
ktjj4
Homework Statement
Hello, I'm a little confused for this part of the fluid mechanics problem. I got through calculating the forces of the water on the gate but then it asked me to calculate the horizontal and vertical forces at a certain point (A) on the curved gate to keep equilibrium. I know I have to take the moment about the origin (O) but I am unsure as to why I only have to consider one of the component forces (F_Ax) but not the other (F_Ay). I'm not sure if this is a conceptual thing or if my knowledge of moments is missing something.
Relevant Equations
Sum of M = -Fv(x') + Fh(D-y') - F_Ax(H)
Screenshot (18).png

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
ktjj4 said:
I am unsure as to why I only have to consider one of the component forces (F_Ax) but not the other (F_Ay).
The application of an external force at A can keep the gate closed. This force could be directed (i) horizontally, or (ii) purely vertically, or (iii) at an angle. The exercise you are dealing with involves case (i), and case (ii).

NascentOxygen said:
The application of an external force at A can keep the gate closed. This force could be directed (i) horizontally, or (ii) purely vertically, or (iii) at an angle. The exercise you are dealing with involves case (i), and case (ii).
I see, thank you for clarifying that. I assumed the question was asking me to find the components of a force at an angle. Thank You again!

Related to Fluid Mechanics Problem: Water Forces on a Parabolic Gate

1. What is fluid mechanics?

Fluid mechanics is the study of how fluids (liquids and gases) move and interact with their surroundings. It is a branch of physics that involves the study of forces and motion in fluids, as well as their properties and behavior.

2. What is a parabolic gate?

A parabolic gate is a type of gate or barrier that has a curved shape resembling a parabola. It is commonly used in fluid mechanics to control the flow of water or other fluids.

3. How do water forces affect a parabolic gate?

Water forces, such as pressure and buoyancy, can exert a significant amount of force on a parabolic gate. This force can cause the gate to open or close, depending on the direction and magnitude of the water flow.

4. What factors influence the water forces on a parabolic gate?

The water forces on a parabolic gate are influenced by several factors, including the speed and direction of the water flow, the shape and size of the gate, and the properties of the fluid (e.g. density, viscosity).

5. How is fluid mechanics used in real-world applications?

Fluid mechanics is used in various real-world applications, such as designing and optimizing water distribution systems, building structures to withstand fluid forces (e.g. dams, bridges), and developing technologies for transportation and energy production (e.g. air and water turbines).