Fluid Mechanics - Linear Momentum

In summary, the conversation involves the use of Bernoulli's equation and the continuity principle to find velocity and mass flow rate. The speakers are stuck on identifying the external and surface forces on the fluid and are hoping for help with the problem, which they believe may be too difficult for an exam.
EmmaJ
j7vmlv.jpg
I know the equation for conservation of linear momentum, and Bernoulli's equation:
6qbouh.png

2sb1su9.png

So I've tried using Bernoulli's equation to find V1, then use the continuity principle to find V2, but then I get stuck on the mass flow rate.

I tried a different approach by trying to convert mass flow rate and velocity into variables I know, such as density, A1 and A2 but I think really I'm just stuck in correctly identifying the external (body) forces on the fluid and the surface forces on the fluid.

Many thanks for any help offered!

Emma

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm stuck on this very same question... any help?

You go to UNSW? Still haven't worked it out...I'll just hope it's not in the final!

Ha ha yeah i do. I'm thinking this question is a bit too nasty for an exam

Related to Fluid Mechanics - Linear Momentum

1. What is linear momentum in fluid mechanics?

Linear momentum in fluid mechanics is a measure of the quantity of motion of a fluid. It is defined as the product of the mass and velocity of the fluid.

2. How is linear momentum conserved in fluid mechanics?

Linear momentum is conserved in fluid mechanics according to the principle of conservation of momentum, which states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant unless acted upon by an external force.

3. What is the equation for linear momentum in fluid mechanics?

The equation for linear momentum in fluid mechanics is p = m * v, where p is the linear momentum, m is the mass of the fluid, and v is the velocity of the fluid.

4. How does linear momentum affect the flow of fluids?

Linear momentum plays a crucial role in determining the flow of fluids. The direction and magnitude of linear momentum can affect the direction and speed of the flow, as well as the formation of eddies and turbulence in the fluid.

5. What are some real-world applications of linear momentum in fluid mechanics?

Linear momentum is used in a variety of real-world applications, such as designing efficient pumps and turbines for fluid transportation, analyzing the flow of air around airplanes and cars, and studying the motion of ocean currents and waves.