Fluid mechanics: linear momentum Quick question

In summary, the sign convention for mass flow rate is entering as -m and leaving as +m, while for momentum it is entering as (-m)(+v) and leaving as (+m)(-v). However, the book may use a different convention and it is important to be careful and distinguish between the different possible meanings when solving equations involving momentum.
Marchese_alex
Im confused with the sign convention... From my notes I have that for

mass flow rate: Entering is -m and leaving is +m
momentum : Entering (-m)(+v) and leaving is (+m)(-v)

Example: for a rectangular control volume, let's say, left side is point 1 and right side is poinit 2. assume we need to hold it in place and flow is from point 1to point 2. If I apply the equation of momentum i get:
(-m)(+v) + (m)(-v) = -Fx (discarding other forces just to simplify)
rearange
-mv -mv= -Fx. (a)

What I am doing wrong that the book says, that it is : -mv + mv = -Fx. (b)

Im really confused because some exanples are done like (a) and others just freaking don't know like (b)

Physics news on Phys.org
yes, it can be annoying when a book adopts a certain convention, but doesn't explicitly state what it is, and then even changes convention.

In this specific question, it looks like you have written something equivalent to:
momentum entering + momentum leaving = -Fx
you do need to be careful with equations like this. For example, 'momentum entering' could possibly mean one of two things:
1)The velocity at point one times by mass.
2)The momentum change due to mass which has velocity inward to the rectangle (whether it comes in through point one or two).
Also, 'momentum leaving' could be interpreted in several different ways:
1)The change of momentum contained within the rectangle due to outward velocity at the surface (a negative number).
2)The absolute value of the definition just above (which will then be a positive number).
3)The velocity at point two times by mass.

So, you need to be careful to distinguish between the different possible meanings. And I know how you feel, I remember getting frustrated about problems involving the momentum going into a rectangle, and what meaning was being used.

Related to Fluid mechanics: linear momentum Quick question

What is fluid mechanics?

Fluid mechanics is the branch of physics that deals with the study of fluids (liquids and gases) in motion. It involves understanding how fluids behave under different conditions and how they interact with their surroundings.

What is linear momentum?

Linear momentum is a vector quantity that represents the product of an object's mass and velocity. In fluid mechanics, it refers to the quantity of motion of a fluid in a specific direction.

What is the equation for calculating linear momentum?

The equation for calculating linear momentum is p = mv, where p is the linear momentum, m is the mass of the object, and v is the velocity of the object.

How is linear momentum conserved in fluid mechanics?

In fluid mechanics, linear momentum is conserved when there are no external forces acting on the fluid. This means that the total linear momentum of a closed system remains constant.

What are some real-life applications of fluid mechanics and linear momentum?

Some real-life applications of fluid mechanics and linear momentum include designing airplanes and other aircraft, understanding the flow of blood in the human body, and predicting the movement of ocean currents. It is also important in the design of pipelines, pumps, and turbines for various engineering projects.