Fluid mechanics: intuition about the 'convective' term

In summary: These equations can also be solved to find the new position of the profile, but you also get an equation for the velocity. In the inviscid Burgers equation, the velocity is just the gradient of the velocity field:\vec{u}=\frac{d}{dt}\vec{u}_x+\frac{d}{dt}\vec{u}_y+\frac{d}{dt}\vec{u}_z.In the viscous Burgers equation, the velocity is also a function of the stress and the Burgers stress:\vec{u}=\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\vec{u}_x+\frac{\
dodo
Hi,
I am doing an introductory course on fluid mechanics, and I'd like some intuition (that's why I'm posting on the engineering forums and not on the math forums, even if I'm studying for a degree in math) about the concept of the total derivative and, particularly, its convective component.

The total derivative of a vector field is defined as:
[tex]\frac {D \bf u}{Dt}= \frac {\partial u} {\partial t} + ({\bf u} \cdot \nabla){\bf u}[/tex]where the first term is the 'local' acceleration and the second the 'convective' acceleration.

I have no problem (I think) with the purely symbolic manipulation on the second term,
[tex]({\bf u} \cdot \nabla){\bf u} = u_1 \frac {\partial u_1}{\partial x} + u_2 \frac {\partial u_2}{\partial y} + u_3 \frac {\partial u_3}{\partial z}[/tex]where [itex]{\bf u} = u_1 {\bf i} + u_2 {\bf j} + u_3 {\bf k}[/itex] is the velocity vector. I just need to wrap my head around about the physical interpretation of it. The explanation of it being the 'acceleration following the motion' is a bit too vague, and I was wishing for some intuition about it.

A similar operation appears also applied to scalar fields, as in the continuity equation for (possibly compressible) flows,
[tex]\frac {\partial \rho} {\partial t} + ({\bf \rho} \cdot \nabla){\bf u} = 0[/tex]where [itex]\rho[/itex] is the density field, and which reduces to [itex]\mbox{div } {\bf u} = 0[/itex] if the flow is incompressible (constant [itex]\rho[/itex]). I believe I have a half-decent understanding of what 'divergence' means (in this context, if no sources or sinks are in the region, a compression*** on x has to be compensated by a decompression*** on y, in a two-dimensional example, just as a consequence of conservation of mass), and I hoped for a similar intuition for the 'convective' term, in both the scalar and vector field contexts.

Thanks a million if you have read so far! :)

*** P.S.: sorry, 'compression' and 'decompression' when talking about divergence is a poor choice of words; I meant 'change in speed' rather than 'change in density', since I was referring at that point to the continuity equation for an incompressible flow.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Apologies for the terribly misquoted equation at the end. I'm trying to edit the above post, but apparently I can't after a while.

Please ignore the second half of the above post, from "A similar operation..." onwards.

Also, a boldface is probably missing in the first equation. Doh!

I got a very satisfactory answer from another person, but any additional insight is most welcome.

Last edited:
dodo said:
Hi,
I am doing an introductory course on fluid mechanics, and I'd like some intuition (that's why I'm posting on the engineering forums and not on the math forums, even if I'm studying for a degree in math) about the concept of the total derivative and, particularly, its convective component.

The total derivative of a vector field is defined as:
[tex]\frac {D \bf u}{Dt}= \frac {\partial u} {\partial t} + ({\bf u} \cdot \nabla){\bf u}[/tex]where the first term is the 'local' acceleration and the second the 'convective' acceleration.

I have no problem (I think) with the purely symbolic manipulation on the second term,
[tex]({\bf u} \cdot \nabla){\bf u} = u_1 \frac {\partial u_1}{\partial x} + u_2 \frac {\partial u_2}{\partial y} + u_3 \frac {\partial u_3}{\partial z}[/tex]where [itex]{\bf u} = u_1 {\bf i} + u_2 {\bf j} + u_3 {\bf k}[/itex] is the velocity vector.
This is not correct. Try again.

Consider the case where the flow is steady state. So the acceleration of each fluid particle is given by:

$$\vec{a}=\frac{du_x}{dt}\vec{i}_x+\frac{du_y}{dt}\vec{i}_y+\frac{du_z}{dt}\vec{i}_z$$

But, by the chain rule
$$\frac{du_x}{dt}=\frac{\partial u_x}{\partial x}\frac{\partial x}{\partial t}+\frac{\partial u_x}{\partial y}\frac{\partial y}{\partial t}+\frac{\partial u_x}{\partial z}\frac{\partial z}{\partial t}$$

Chet

Hi, Chet,
thanks for the input - I suspect I had in mind a scalar field all along and, when it comes to vector fields, I need to move back a few squares and review my vector calculus.

Thanks again!

Hi dodo,

The advective derivative, [itex]\vec u \cdot \nabla [/itex], is a tricky beast.

Higher level classes often use several 1-D modes to shed insight into dynamics modeled by this operator. If you're curious I highly suggest googling these models. There is a wealth of information out there. Also these models are often used in introductory numerical methods classes, and I bet you can find some simulations of these models to help visualize the dynamics.

In 1-D the advective derivative is simply [itex]u_x \frac{\partial}{\partial x} [/itex], where [itex]u_x [/itex] is the flow in the x direction.

The first model is the 1st order wave equation: [itex] \frac{\partial f}{\partial t}+c\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}=0[/itex], where [itex]c[/itex] is a constant flow velocity, and [itex] f[/itex] could be a number of quantities like density, temperature, or flow in the y direction. When you solve this equation you find that your initial profile is just shifted in time at a velocity [itex]c[/itex].

The second and third models and the inviscid Burgers equation: [itex] \frac{\partial u}{\partial t}+u\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}=0[/itex], and the viscous Burger's equation: [itex] \frac{\partial u}{\partial t}+u\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}=\nu \frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x^2} [/itex]. The difference between these two models is that the viscous one includes dissipation.

Thanks for the advice, Wolfman, I'll give simpler 1-D models a look.

Related to Fluid mechanics: intuition about the 'convective' term

1. What is the 'convective' term in fluid mechanics?

The 'convective' term in fluid mechanics refers to the transport of fluid properties such as mass, momentum, and energy due to the movement of the fluid itself. It takes into account the velocity of the fluid and how it affects the distribution of these properties within the fluid.

2. How does the 'convective' term impact fluid flow?

The 'convective' term plays a crucial role in determining the behavior of fluid flow. It affects the rate of change of fluid properties and can lead to the formation of vortices and other complex flow patterns. It is also responsible for the transport of heat and mass within the fluid.

3. Can you explain the physical intuition behind the 'convective' term?

The 'convective' term can be understood as the effect of the movement of fluid particles on the overall behavior of the fluid. As the fluid particles move, they carry their properties with them, leading to changes in the distribution of these properties within the fluid. This term captures this phenomenon and helps us understand how the fluid behaves as a whole.

4. How is the 'convective' term mathematically represented?

The 'convective' term is mathematically represented as the product of the fluid velocity and the gradient of the fluid property being considered. For example, in the Navier-Stokes equation, the 'convective' term is represented as the dot product of the velocity vector and the gradient of the velocity vector itself. This allows us to quantify the effect of fluid motion on the behavior of the fluid.

5. What are some practical applications of the 'convective' term in fluid mechanics?

The 'convective' term has many practical applications in various fields such as aerospace engineering, meteorology, and chemical engineering. It is used to study and predict the behavior of fluids in different scenarios, such as in the design of efficient aircraft wings, understanding weather patterns, and optimizing industrial processes involving fluid flow.