Fluid mechanics help, where am i going wrong?

In summary, the problem involves finding the force F_h by calculating the pressure at the bottom of the load and creating a resultant. The issue may be the lack of a given depth, but assuming a 1m depth is sufficient. Once F_h is found, the tipping point and maximum sliding point can be determined by taking the moment about A and summing torques. It should be noted that force is now pressure multiplied by effective height and 1m.
shadow7874

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/6918/screenshot20110828at111.png

Homework Equations

P_base= rho * h * g = 1800 kg/m^3 * h * 9.81 m/s^2 = 17658 * h kg/(m^2 s^2)
F_h= .5 * h * P_base = 10594.8 * h^2 kg/(m^2 s^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I am trying to find the force F_h by calculating the pressure at the bottom of the load and creating a resultant. The issue i believe i am having is that there is no depth given so I'm not sure how to calculate the force on a wall since i only have 1 of the walls dimension. Unless I'm reading the problem incorrectly and the width and depth are both .25m? When i do the math the F_h works out to be kg/s^2 instead of Newtons.

Once i figure out the F_h i would then just need to take the moment about A to find the tipping point and the max F_friction to find the highest sliding point, correct? If anyone could guide me as to what I'm doing wrong that would be helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I believe you're on the right track.

When a dimension is omitted in a problem you can be pretty sure it's not needed. Just assume a 1m depth. Then compute the resultant for F_H to get the slip point and sum torques (moments) about A as you say.

Isn't it funny how they say "retaining wall" instead of just "dam"?

PS - force is now pressure * effective height * 1m, you realize.

Related to Fluid mechanics help, where am i going wrong?

1. What is fluid mechanics?

Fluid mechanics is the branch of physics that deals with the study of how fluids behave under various conditions, such as flow, pressure, and temperature.

2. What are the basic principles of fluid mechanics?

The basic principles of fluid mechanics include conservation of mass, conservation of momentum, and conservation of energy. These principles govern the behavior of fluids and are used to solve problems in fluid mechanics.

3. How do I determine the properties of a fluid?

The properties of a fluid, such as density, viscosity, and pressure, can be determined through experiments or calculations based on the fluid's behavior under certain conditions. These properties are essential in understanding the behavior of fluids in different situations.

4. What are some common mistakes in fluid mechanics problems?

Some common mistakes in fluid mechanics problems include misinterpreting the given information, using incorrect equations or assumptions, and neglecting certain factors, such as friction or boundary conditions. It is important to carefully analyze the problem and double-check all calculations to avoid these mistakes.

5. How can I improve my understanding of fluid mechanics?

To improve your understanding of fluid mechanics, it is important to practice solving problems and understanding the underlying principles. You can also read textbooks, attend lectures or workshops, and seek help from a tutor or mentor. Additionally, conducting experiments and simulations can also deepen your understanding of fluid mechanics.