Fluid mechanics - flow through pipe

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of flow rates and inlet and outlet in relation to conservation of mass flow and densities. The conclusion is that the problem contradicts itself by stating that volume flow is conserved while giving two different specific gravities. The concept of immiscible liquids is also brought up in relation to the problem.
charlies1902
Please see attached. I'm pretty sure i did the problem right, but I'd like to check with the great minds of physicsforums.

Summing up flow rates and inlet and outlet gives:
1500+1200=2700 gal/min

2700gal/min= area at exit *Velocity at exit
2700 gal/min * (1ft^3 / 7.48 gal) ( 1min / 60 s) = Area at exit * 30 ft/2
Area=0.2 ft^3 or 1.5 gallons

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    24.2 KB · Views: 544
Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct but my mind is not a great one.

I'm second guessing myself. The way I did the problem is assuming that the volume flow rate is conserved, but can I really assume that? What I basically said is that the densities at the 2 inlets and outlet are the same.

The densities given aren't the same tho.I.Ep1*V1*A1+p2*V2*A2=p3*V3*A3
where p=density
V=velocity
A=area

That is the conservation of mass flow equation.
To get from that equation to the
Q1+Q2=Qout equation, the densities have to cancel. If they cancel, that means the densities are the same for both inlets and outlets, but that is not the case since they give different specific gravities for the 2 inlets, thus different densities.

It seems the problem contradicts itself by saying "volume flow is conserved" and giving 2 different SGs.

Last edited:
UGHHH the more i read this problem the more I get confused.

Read the 1st sentence. imiscible=not mixable
How can 2 not mixable liquids be mixed?
How can there be a "mixture" that exists, if it's not mixable?

"How can 2 not mixable liquids be mixed?"
Have you ever mixed salad dressing..oil and vinegar? Vinegar and oil do not mix but each still maintains its unique volume when combined. Each is incompressible. Therefore flow volume per unit time is conserved.

Related to Fluid mechanics - flow through pipe

1. What is fluid mechanics and how does it relate to flow through pipes?

Fluid mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of fluids in motion. It is concerned with the behavior of fluids under different conditions, such as flow through pipes. Flow through pipes is an important application of fluid mechanics, as it is used in various industries such as plumbing, hydraulics, and oil and gas pipelines.

2. How is the flow of fluid through a pipe described?

The flow of fluid through a pipe is described by the principles of Bernoulli's equation, which states that the total energy of a fluid in a pipe is constant. This means that the pressure, velocity, and height of the fluid are all interrelated and will change in response to each other as the fluid flows through the pipe.

3. What factors affect the flow of fluid through a pipe?

The flow of fluid through a pipe is affected by several factors, such as the diameter and length of the pipe, the viscosity of the fluid, and the pressure and temperature of the fluid. Other factors include the roughness of the pipe's interior surface, the velocity of the fluid, and any obstructions or bends in the pipe.

4. How is the flow rate of fluid through a pipe calculated?

The flow rate of fluid through a pipe is calculated using the principles of continuity and conservation of mass. Continuity states that the volume flow rate of fluid through a pipe must remain constant, while conservation of mass states that the mass of the fluid entering the pipe must equal the mass of the fluid exiting the pipe. These principles can be used to calculate the flow rate, which is typically measured in gallons per minute or cubic meters per second.

5. What are some common applications of fluid flow through pipes in real-world situations?

Fluid flow through pipes has numerous real-world applications, such as in plumbing systems, where pipes are used to transport water to homes and businesses. It is also used in industrial settings for processes like cooling and heating, as well as in transportation systems for fuel and oil pipelines. Additionally, the principles of fluid flow through pipes are important in designing and optimizing systems for efficient and safe fluid transport.