Fluid Mechanics & Flow: A Deeper Understanding

In summary: It appears to me that a typical physics curriculum only touches upon topics from fluid mechanics very briefly in the introductory level physics. However, I imagine that the material there is very interesting and potentially relevant (plasma physics, etc). If I wanted to get a deeper appreciation and understanding of these fields, what are the good topics to study? Could you recommend books, etc.Does your department offer a junior or senior course on the subject? Perhaps under the title astrophysical/geophysical fluid dynamics, or perhaps check the mechanical engineering department. One of the long time introductory college texts for the subject was V.L. Streeter's 'Fluid Mechanics'. It has gone through at least nine editions
YAHA
It appears to me that a typical physics curriculum only touches upon topics from fluid mechanics very briefly in the introductory level physics. However, I imagine that the material there is very interesting and potentially relevant (plasma physics, etc).

If I wanted to get a deeper appreciation and understanding of these fields, what are the good topics to study? Could you recommend books, etc.

Physics news on Phys.org
Does your department offer a junior or senior course on the subject? Perhaps under the title astrophysical/geophysical fluid dynamics, or perhaps check the mechanical engineering department.

The book I was recommended in my course was Landau's, technically the bible of this subject but it's pretty tough and requires a lot of time to understand, so I relied on my notes(basically a brief summary of the first 4-5 chapters and a few other things) mostly. There are more accessible books out there but I never relied on them much.

Try googling for course lecture notes on google, some are a pretty decent intro.

Lavabug said:
Does your department offer a junior or senior course on the subject? Perhaps under the title astrophysical/geophysical fluid dynamics, or perhaps check the mechanical engineering department.

The book I was recommended in my course was Landau's, technically the bible of this subject but it's pretty tough and requires a lot of time to understand, so I relied on my notes(basically a brief summary of the first 4-5 chapters and a few other things) mostly. There are more accessible books out there but I never relied on them much.

Try googling for course lecture notes on google, some are a pretty decent intro.

I go to SLAC, so we only have Physics major, no engineering. Incidentally, I do have the Landau's books. Judging by my exposure to his Mechanics and QM, I probably do not want to make it the first book to learn from.

One of the long time introductory college texts for the subject was V.L. Streeter's 'Fluid Mechanics'. It has gone through at least nine editions. IMO, FM is not a subject where I would recommend that one jump into an advanced text without taking a dip in the shallow end of the pool first. The study of FM requires a thorough background in the calculus.

I suggest Acheson's "Fluid Dynamics". Our senior level intro fluids course for physicists uses it. It's very insightful. The course is taught by a prof. who studies astrophysical plasmas, so I assume the book would give you the beginnings of the fluid foundation you need to study plasma physics.

YAHA said:
I go to SLAC, so we only have Physics major, no engineering. Incidentally, I do have the Landau's books. Judging by my exposure to his Mechanics and QM, I probably do not want to make it the first book to learn from.
SLAC = Stanford? If so, Stanford has Mechanical and Aeronautical Engineering programs. One could take a course in fluid mechanics in MechEng or gas dynamics in MechEng or AeroEng.

And Stanford has a gas dynamics lab.
http://navier.stanford.edu/thermosciences/htgl.html

Most large metropolitan areas have universities with engineering programs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronuc said:
SLAC = Stanford? If so, Stanford has Mechanical and Aeronautical Engineering programs. One could take a course in fluid mechanics in MechEng or gas dynamics in MechEng or AeroEng.

And Stanford has a gas dynamics lab.
http://navier.stanford.edu/thermosciences/htgl.html

Most large metropolitan areas have universities with engineering programs.

Ha! I wish :cool: SLAC="Small Liberal Arts College"

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there an engineering school nearby?

Otherwise, one would need a faculty member who would teach fluid mechanics.

I presume the SLAC offers a BA in physics.

Astronuc said:
Is there an engineering school nearby?

Otherwise, one would need a faculty member who would teach fluid mechanics.

I presume the SLAC offers a BA in physics.

Not nearby enough to take a class from.

Yes, I am doing a BS in Math and Physics. We just don't have such a course on our roster. However, I will be doing an Independent Study in Advanced Classical Mechanics next semester, so I thought about possibly looking at some Fluid Mechanics topics as a part of it.

You might ask the faculty in your department for recommended resources - you may strike up an opportunity for directed study. Especially at a SLAC (nice acronym) the professors may be open to this. While books on your own can be fine, there is nothing like having some guidance! It would also give you another good relationship with a prof. that may come in handy for references for jobs/grad schools.

One additional book resource: an online book on fluids for undergrad physicists can be found at:
http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching.html
Might not be what you want, but the price is right. ON the surface it looks reasonable to me. Even has homework problems.

best regards,

jason

jasonRF said:
You might ask the faculty in your department for recommended resources - you may strike up an opportunity for directed study. Especially at a SLAC (nice acronym) the professors may be open to this. While books on your own can be fine, there is nothing like having some guidance! It would also give you another good relationship with a prof. that may come in handy for references for jobs/grad schools.

One additional book resource: an online book on fluids for undergrad physicists can be found at:
http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching.html
Might not be what you want, but the price is right. ON the surface it looks reasonable to me. Even has homework problems.

best regards,

jason

Thank you. The book does look interesting.

I will already be doing an independent study. At this point, I am just looking for some interesting topics to cover since I have a bit of a choice.

Related to Fluid Mechanics & Flow: A Deeper Understanding

1. What is fluid mechanics?

Fluid mechanics is the study of how fluids (liquids and gases) behave and interact with each other and with solid objects when subjected to different forces and conditions.

2. What are the applications of fluid mechanics?

Fluid mechanics has a wide range of applications, including aircraft and vehicle design, weather forecasting, chemical and biological processes, and many more. It is also essential in understanding the flow of fluids in pipelines, pumps, and other industrial systems.

3. How does fluid flow work?

Fluid flow is governed by the laws of conservation of mass, momentum, and energy. These laws describe how fluids move and change under the influence of forces such as pressure, gravity, and friction. In general, fluid flow is characterized by velocity, pressure, and density variations.

4. What is the difference between laminar and turbulent flow?

Laminar flow is a smooth and orderly flow of fluids, with layers of fluid moving in parallel to each other. Turbulent flow, on the other hand, is a chaotic and unsteady flow with random fluctuations in velocity and pressure. Turbulent flow is typically encountered at high velocities or in the presence of obstacles that disrupt the fluid motion.

5. How is fluid mechanics important in everyday life?

Fluid mechanics plays a crucial role in various everyday activities, such as driving a car, turning on a faucet, or even breathing. It helps us understand the behavior of fluids in pipes and channels, which is essential in supplying water and other fluids to homes and industries. It also aids in designing efficient and safe transportation systems and understanding weather patterns.