Fluid Mechanics -continuity equation

In summary, the flow in the entrance region is dominated by the viscous phenomena and the behavior of the v (y-component of the velocity) is explained using the continuity equation. The flow is fully developed at the point where the friction function stops changing.
billybob70
Fluid Mechanics --continuity equation

This is for a 300 level fluid mechanics class.

"Consider the y-component of the velocity (v) at any cross-section in the entrance region. For simplicity, take the lower half of the pipe; the content of the flow field is going to be symmetric with respect to the center-line. Using the continuity equation and the viscous phenomena taking place in the entrance region, explain the behavior of the v (y-component of the velocity)."

The pipe diameter is 0.1 m and is 20 m long. We used Flowlab to find the friction factor for different reynolds numbers 200-1000 (by changing the velocity to get a different reynolds #).

I am trying to use (rho)1A1V1 = (rho)2A2V2
to explain this. I am not really sure what the "viscous phenomena" means.

Thanks for any help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
With a Reynolds number below 2000, the flow will be laminar and have a parabolic velocity distribution profile across the tube.

The continuity equation simply implies that the fluid in-flow = fluid out-flow.

Last edited:
The viscous phenomena for the entrance region is what is responsible for the entrance losses a fluid sees when entering a region like a tank, valve, pipe, etc...You might want to read up on the idea of fully developed flow in a pipe entrance region. The location of fully developed flow defines the entrance region.

Question, in what direction is the y component in this assignment?

Thanks for your help so far.

The length of the pipe is the x-component. So i am assuming the y-component is the height of the pipe (if the pipe is laying horizontally). i was not given a picture or any additional info.

On flowlab, i assumed the fully developed region to be the point at which the friction function stopped changing (where it became almost a straight line).

At the entrance of the pipe (a lower x-value), the friction function was higher. So does this mean the parabola is longer (has more of a point to it) at the entrance of the pipe, and then the parabola gradually becomes more rounded as it goes further through the pipe?

When you say parabola, are you referring to the boundary layer or the velocity profile across the field?

hmm good question. i was thinking of them as the same thing. But since you mentioned it, i think the prof. is asking about the velocity profile. Although wouldn't the boundary layer be the same thing when it first enters the pipe?

Not really. If memory serves me correctly, the boundary layer grows as it goes down the length of pipe. I don't have any references in front of me right now. I'll have to see if I can hunt something down on-line.

billybob70 said:
This is for a 300 level fluid mechanics class.
"Consider the y-component of the velocity (v) at any cross-section in the entrance region. For simplicity, take the lower half of the pipe; the content of the flow field is going to be symmetric with respect to the center-line. Using the continuity equation and the viscous phenomena taking place in the entrance region, explain the behavior of the v (y-component of the velocity)."
The pipe diameter is 0.1 m and is 20 m long. We used Flowlab to find the friction factor for different reynolds numbers 200-1000 (by changing the velocity to get a different reynolds #).
I am trying to use (rho)1A1V1 = (rho)2A2V2
to explain this. I am not really sure what the "viscous phenomena" means.
Thanks for any help.

I've got tomorrow two finals, man, nevermind I am going to explain this to you. Let x be the axial coordinate of the pipe adimensionalized with the pipe diameter D, being x=0 the point of inlet.

At x=O(1), the fluid is in the hydrodynamic entrance lenght. The boundary layer begins to grow, but at this point its thickness d is too small. The profile of axial velocity is almost plane, except in a zone near walls such that d/D<<<1. In this zone, [tex]\partial u/\partial x<0[/tex] and by means of continuity [tex]\partial v/\partial y>0[/tex]. This means in this zone there is an Entraintment of fluid due to the sucking process. At distances of the order x=Re^(-1), the boundary layer has grown too much as to produce a parabolic profile. In this situation the flow is fully developed and so [tex]\partial u/\partial x=0[/tex] and v=0.

Yes, the flow is developing in the entrance region. The developed flow should have parabolic velocity distribution due to viscous effect, which means lower velocity close to the wall.
Close to wall, in entrance, the u velocity should be reducing, (u)in+(v)out=(u)out (continuity). Therefore, v velocity doesn't equal to zero.
I think this is what question asked for.
Assumption, flow is incompressible.

Last edited:

Related to Fluid Mechanics -continuity equation

1. What is the continuity equation in fluid mechanics?

The continuity equation in fluid mechanics is a mathematical expression that describes the relationship between the velocity, cross-sectional area, and density of a fluid. It states that the product of the fluid's velocity and cross-sectional area must remain constant throughout a closed system, despite changes in the fluid's density or velocity.

2. How is the continuity equation derived?

The continuity equation is derived from the principle of conservation of mass, which states that the total mass of a closed system remains constant. By applying this principle to a fluid in motion, we can derive the continuity equation by equating the mass flow rate at any two points in the system.

3. What are the applications of the continuity equation?

The continuity equation is commonly used in various fields such as fluid dynamics, aerodynamics, and hydraulics. It is particularly useful in analyzing the behavior of fluids in pipes, channels, and other flow systems. The equation can also be applied to study the motion of gases and liquids in industrial processes, such as in pumps and turbines.

4. How does the continuity equation relate to Bernoulli's principle?

The continuity equation and Bernoulli's principle are closely related, as they both describe different aspects of fluid flow. While the continuity equation deals with the conservation of mass, Bernoulli's principle describes the conservation of energy in a fluid. However, the two principles are often used together to analyze and solve problems involving fluid flow.

5. Can the continuity equation be applied to non-ideal fluids?

Yes, the continuity equation can be applied to non-ideal fluids such as compressible gases or non-Newtonian fluids. However, in these cases, the equation may need to be modified to account for the non-ideal behavior of the fluid. For example, in compressible gases, the equation may need to include terms for density changes due to temperature and pressure variations.