Fluid mechanics conceptual question

In summary, a beaker containing water is placed on the platform of a digital weighing machine. The machine reads 1100 grams. A metal body with a density of 8g/cc and mass of 200 g is then suspended in the water without touching the walls of the beaker, attached by a string to a support. The question asks what the reading on the weighing machine will be, with the options being 1100 g, 1125 g, 1275 g, or 1300 g. The correct answer is likely 1100 g, as the tension in the string will be subtracted from the reading due to the reaction from the platform being less than the weight of the beaker-water-mass system.
alphabeta1720
a beaker containing water is placed on the platform of a digital weighing machine. it reads 1100 grams. a metal body of density 8g/cc and mass 200 g is suspended in water in the beaker(without touching the walls of the beaker). it is attached by a suitable string fixed to some support. Now what will be the reading on the weighing machine. from the following options which one is correct? give reasons
a. 1100 g
b. 1125 g
c. 1275 g
d. 1300 g

Physics news on Phys.org
hi alphabeta1720! :wink:

show us what you've tried, and what you think the reason is, and then we'll know how to help! :smile:

tiny-tim said:
hi alphabeta1720! :wink:
show us what you've tried, and what you think the reason is, and then we'll know how to help! :smile:

my only confusion is whether it will be a total reading of 1300 or upthrust will be subtracted.

hint: consider the beaker the water and the mass as a single body (mass M + m, say) …

what are the forces on it?

is there any tension in the string? :wink:

tiny-tim said:
hint: consider the beaker the water and the mass as a single body (mass M + m, say) …

what are the forces on it?

is there any tension in the string? :wink:

that is the confusion i have about the tension of the spring. nothing else is giving in the problem and this is famous problem of KVPY. it is a competitive examination which is very prestigious at high school level. so anyone tell me the answer and also explain me. I am alplebeta.

hi alphabeta! :smile:
alphabeta1720 said:
my only confusion is whether it will be a total reading of 1300 or upthrust will be subtracted.
aradhya said:
that is the confusion i have about the tension of the spring. nothing else is giving in the problem and this is famous problem of KVPY.

what i was getting at is that the only external forces on the beaker-water-mass system are the weight, the tension in the string, and the reaction from the platform …

since the system is in equilibrium, they must add to zero

since common-sense tells you that there must be some tension in the string (you are ok with that, aren't you?), that shows that the reaction from the platform (which is the same as the reading on the weighing scale) must be less than the weight, doesn't it?

that should help you to work out the solution to the problem (as you know, on this forum we're not allowed to give you the answer, we only help you to find it yourself!) :smile:

Related to Fluid mechanics conceptual question

1. What is fluid mechanics?

Fluid mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of fluids (liquids and gases) and their behavior when they are in motion or at rest.

2. What are the main properties of fluids?

The main properties of fluids include density, viscosity, pressure, and temperature. These properties determine how fluids behave and interact with their surroundings.

3. What is the difference between a fluid and a solid?

A solid has a definite shape and volume, whereas a fluid takes on the shape of its container and flows freely. Additionally, solids have a fixed density, while the density of a fluid can change depending on external factors such as pressure and temperature.

4. How is Bernoulli's principle related to fluid mechanics?

Bernoulli's principle states that as the velocity of a fluid increases, its pressure decreases. This principle is often used in fluid mechanics to analyze the flow of fluids through pipes and channels.

5. What are some real-life applications of fluid mechanics?

Fluid mechanics has various applications in everyday life, such as in the design of airplanes and cars, water supply systems, weather forecasting, and medical devices like ventilators and blood flow monitors.