Fluid mechanics: calc the acceleration of a particle at a point.

In summary, a velocity field is given by [Ax^{3} + Bxy^{2}]\hat{i} + [Ay^{3} + Bx^{2}y]\hat{j}; A=0.2 m^{-2}s^{-1}, B is a constant, and the coordinates are measured in meters. Determine the value and units for B if this velocity field is to represent an incompressible flow. Calculate the acceleration of a fluid particle at point (x, y)=(2, 1). Evaluate the component of particle acceleration normal to the velocity vector at this point.
Zarathuztra

Homework Statement

A velocity field is given by [itex]\vec{V}[/itex]= [Ax[itex]^{3}[/itex] + Bxy[itex]^{2}[/itex]][itex]\hat{i}[/itex] + [Ay[itex]^{3}[/itex] + Bx[itex]^{2}[/itex]y][itex]\hat{j}[/itex]; A=0.2 m[itex]^{-2}[/itex]s[itex]^{-1}[/itex], B is a constant, and the
coordinates are measured in meters. Determine the value and
units for B if this velocity field is to represent an incompressible
flow. Calculate the acceleration of a fluid particle at point
(x, y)=(2, 1). Evaluate the component of particle acceleration
normal to the velocity vector at this point.

Homework Equations

u=[itex]\frac{\partial\Psi}{\partial y}[/itex] v=-[itex]\frac{\partial\Psi}{\partial x}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the above equation to get value equations u and v, there is something I'm missing, a bit of reasoning that has to be made using the given information to determine a constraint that exists since the fluid is incompressible. This should link the rates of change to each other. But that's where I get stuck, having trouble hanging on to all the concepts..

u = [2Bxy][itex]\hat{i}[/itex] + [.6y[itex]^{2}[/itex] + Bx[itex]^{2}[/itex]][itex]\hat{j}[/itex]
v = -[.6x[itex]^{2}[/itex] + By[itex]^{2}[/itex]][itex]\hat{i}[/itex] - [2Bxy][itex]\hat{j}[/itex]

Assumptions:
1. Incompressible flow
2. B is constant

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
"Incompressible" links the derivatives of the velocities in both directions.
This gives you one constraint and allows to calculate B.

so du = -dv? increases of u lead to decreases of v.

Not du = -dv, but du/dx = -dv/dy (or the other way round?) should work.

when I try [itex]\frac{du}{dx}[/itex] = -[itex]\frac{dv}{dy}[/itex] I get

[2By][itex]\hat{i}[/itex] + [2Bx][itex]\hat{j}[/itex] = [2By][itex]\hat{i}[/itex] + [2Bx][itex]\hat{j}[/itex]

which doesn't help solve for B, unless I'm messing up somewhere or forgetting something.
The same happens when I take [itex]\frac{du}{dy}[/itex] = -[itex]\frac{dv}{dy}[/itex]

[2Bx][itex]\hat{i}[/itex] + [1.2y][itex]\hat{j}[/itex] = [1.2x][itex]\hat{i}[/itex] + [2By][itex]\hat{j}[/itex]

The second equation can be solved for B.

I'm getting B = 1.2/2
does that look right?

I think so. It solves the equations for i and j at the same time, which looks good.

Related to Fluid mechanics: calc the acceleration of a particle at a point.

1. What is fluid mechanics?

Fluid mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of fluids (liquids and gases) and the forces and motions associated with them.

2. How is the acceleration of a particle in fluid mechanics calculated?

The acceleration of a particle in fluid mechanics can be calculated using the equation a = (ρVg - F)/m, where ρ is the density of the fluid, V is the volume of the particle, g is the acceleration due to gravity, F is the force acting on the particle, and m is the mass of the particle.

3. What is the difference between laminar and turbulent flow?

Laminar flow is a smooth and orderly flow of a fluid, where the particles move in parallel layers with no mixing between them. Turbulent flow is a chaotic flow of a fluid, where the particles mix and move in irregular patterns due to the presence of eddies and vortices.

4. How does the viscosity of a fluid affect its behavior in fluid mechanics?

The viscosity of a fluid is a measure of its resistance to flow. Higher viscosity fluids will flow more slowly and have a thicker consistency, while lower viscosity fluids will flow more easily. This factor plays a role in determining the speed and flow patterns of fluids in different situations.

5. What are some real-world applications of fluid mechanics?

Fluid mechanics has a wide range of applications in various fields such as engineering, meteorology, oceanography, and biology. Some examples include designing efficient airplane wings, predicting weather patterns, understanding ocean currents, and studying blood flow in the human body.