Fluid mechanics, bernulli equation: reference points

In summary, when using the Bernoulli equation, it is important to first determine the specific points of reference for the problem at hand. For the datum, it can be placed anywhere, but it is recommended to place it at a convenient location. The pressure can be measured using either gauge or absolute pressure, while the kinetic energy terms should always be absolute from the observer's viewpoint due to its nonlinear relationship with speed. As for the potential energy term, any height datum can be chosen, as long as it is consistent on both sides of the equation.
Marchese_alex
Can anyone give me some advice on where I should take my points of reference when using bernulli equation. I know the point will vary according to the problem, but can one say, always begin looking for this and that and apply the equation... Then move to this and that, etc

Physics news on Phys.org
Also for the datum... I know i can put it anywere but try to put it _____________.

For pressure you can use gauge or absolute pressure. Kinetic energy terms should be absolutes from the observer's viewpoint, since k.e. is a nonlinear function of speed. For the potential energy term you can pick any height datum you want. In all cases just make sure you use the same datums for both sides of the equation!

Related to Fluid mechanics, bernulli equation: reference points

1. What is fluid mechanics?

Fluid mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of fluids (liquids and gases) and how they behave under different conditions. It involves the study of fluid properties, such as density and viscosity, as well as fluid dynamics, which includes the study of how fluids move and interact with their surroundings.

2. How is Bernoulli's equation used in fluid mechanics?

Bernoulli's equation is a fundamental formula in fluid mechanics that describes the relationship between fluid pressure, velocity, and elevation. It is used to predict the behavior of fluids in motion, such as in pipes or around objects, and can be applied to a wide range of real-world problems, including airfoil design and fluid flow in pumps and turbines.

3. What are reference points in fluid mechanics?

Reference points in fluid mechanics are specific locations within a fluid system that are used as a frame of reference for measuring fluid properties, such as pressure and velocity. These points are usually chosen based on convenience and can vary depending on the problem being studied. Common reference points include the stagnation point (where fluid velocity is zero) and the free surface (where fluid pressure is atmospheric).

4. How does the Bernoulli equation change with different reference points?

The Bernoulli equation remains the same regardless of the chosen reference point. However, the values of pressure and velocity at the reference point will affect the overall solution of the equation. For example, using the stagnation point as a reference point will result in a simpler form of the equation, while using the free surface as a reference point may require additional terms to account for atmospheric pressure.

5. Can the Bernoulli equation be used for all types of fluids?

The Bernoulli equation is a simplified form of the more general Euler equation, which applies to all types of fluids, including both inviscid (frictionless) and viscous (frictional) fluids. However, the Bernoulli equation assumes certain conditions, such as steady flow and incompressibility, which may not always hold true for real fluids. Therefore, it is important to carefully consider the limitations and assumptions of the Bernoulli equation when applying it to different fluid systems.