Fluid mechanics and torque: Finding the equilibrium force on a hinged gate

In summary: Please help...In summary, the gate is stationary if the force applied is equal to the weight of the fluid (rho*g/6).
Abhishekdas
Fluid mechanics and torque...

Homework Statement

A square gate of size 1m*1m is hinged at its mid point. A fliud of density rho fills the space to the left of the gate. A force F is applied at the bottom of the gate towards right. Find value of F such that the gate is stationary...

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First i calculated the clockwise torque( which is due to the top half of the water)...

If i take an element dh at a depth h from the top then excess pressure on this part due to the water is rho*g*h so force is rho*g*h*dh*1 and toque due to this element is ... rho*g*h*(0.5 - h)dh...Integrating this expression with h varying from 0 to 0.5 m we get net torqe(due to upper half) as
rho*g*0.53/6...

Now calculating the anticlockwise torque(due to lower half) we get the expression for torque as rho*g*h*dh*(h-0.5)...integrating this with limits of h from 0.5 to 1 we get net torque due to this half as rho*g*0.375/6...
So net torque (which is anticlockwise) is (anticlock wise - clock wise torque) which come out to be equal to rho*g*.25/6...

This torque is equal to torque due to the force F...So F*.5= rho*g*.25/6...From here we get F=rho*g/12...but answer is rho *g/6...I tried it many times but i am still wrong...Please help...

Physics news on Phys.org

Please attach a diagram. Cannot figure it out correctly.

Heres the diagram...the left part is water...and the arrow gives the point of application of force...

Attachments

• fi.bmp
    238.1 KB · Views: 706

My answer came rho *g/6. The only thing I did differently was that I did not separate the upper and lower part. I used torque = rho*gh(h-0.5)dh

Now, I did it using your method still, I got the correct answer. I'll advise you to check your calculations

Abhishekdas said:
Now calculating the anticlockwise torque(due to lower half) we get the expression for torque as rho*g*h*dh*(h-0.5)...integrating this with limits of h from 0.5 to 1 we get net torque due to this half as rho*g*0.375/6...

Your answer here is 3*rho*g/48 while the answer should be 5*rho*g/48

Ya i made a mistake there...i checked it again with a calci and i got it now...

Related to Fluid mechanics and torque: Finding the equilibrium force on a hinged gate

1. What is fluid mechanics?

Fluid mechanics is the study of fluids and the forces acting on them. It involves understanding how fluids move, how they interact with each other and with solid surfaces, and how they respond to external forces.

2. What is the difference between a fluid and a solid?

A fluid is a substance that can flow and take on the shape of its container, while a solid maintains its shape and does not flow. Fluids also have the ability to exert pressure in all directions, while solids only exert pressure in the direction of the applied force.

3. What is viscosity in fluid mechanics?

Viscosity is a measure of a fluid's resistance to flow. It is caused by internal friction between the molecules of the fluid and is affected by factors such as temperature and composition of the fluid. High viscosity fluids, such as honey, flow slowly while low viscosity fluids, such as water, flow more easily.

4. What is torque in fluid mechanics?

Torque is a measure of the rotational force on an object. In fluid mechanics, torque is typically used to describe the twisting force on a rotating object caused by the interaction between the fluid and the object's surface. It is an important concept in understanding the movement and stability of objects in a fluid.

5. How is Bernoulli's principle related to fluid mechanics?

Bernoulli's principle states that as the velocity of a fluid increases, the pressure exerted by the fluid decreases. This principle is important in fluid mechanics as it explains the relationship between the speed and pressure of a fluid and can help predict the behavior of fluids in different situations, such as in pipes or around objects.