Fluid Flow between parallel infinite plates

In summary, the conversation discusses fluid mechanics involving two parallel infinite plates with fluid between them and above them. The flow is steady and laminar in both regions, with a two-dimensional velocity that does not depend on x and y. The value of u_1 (z) at the free surface is discussed, as well as how to use the Navier Stokes equation to find u_1 (z) in both regions. The complexity of the fluid above the top plate is mentioned, with reference to Slattery's "Interfacial Transport Phenomena" for further information on the jump balance equations.
hawaiifiver
Hello

I am trying to understand some fluid mechanics

I have two parallel infinite plates with fluid between the plates and some fluid above the plates.
The fluid above the plates has a free surface exposed to the atmosphere. And we can neglect body forces.

The fluid flow (steady and laminar) is two dimensional in both regions, and velocity doesn't depend on x and y: u = u_1 (z) i

What can i say about the value of u_1 (z) at the free surface. is u_1(surface) = 0 if the top plate is moving with a velocity U i. The bottomn plate is stationary.

Also how would you use the Navier Stokes quation to find u_1 (z) in both regions.

Physics news on Phys.org
Between the plates is straightforward: it's plane Couette flow.

The fluid above the top plate is significantly more complex: if it were unbounded, it would be similar to Stokes' first problem- except you have suppressed the time dependence that makes the solution finite.

At the fluid-fluid interface, it gets very complicated. There are so-called jump balance equations for mass, momentum, and energy which are quite horrendous and I'm not going to try and write them here. They can be found in Slattery's "Interfacial Transport Phenomena", and relate the motion of the fluid on either side of the dividing surface to the dynamics of the interface.

Related to Fluid Flow between parallel infinite plates

What is the concept of fluid flow between parallel infinite plates?

The concept of fluid flow between parallel infinite plates is a fundamental principle in fluid mechanics that describes the movement of a fluid between two parallel plates with infinite dimensions. This phenomenon is commonly observed in many engineering applications, such as lubrication, heat transfer, and microfluidics.

What factors affect fluid flow between parallel infinite plates?

The main factors that affect fluid flow between parallel infinite plates are the fluid viscosity, the distance between the plates, and the pressure difference between the plates. These factors determine the velocity and direction of the fluid flow and play a crucial role in determining the rate of flow.

What is the equation for calculating the velocity profile in fluid flow between parallel infinite plates?

The velocity profile in fluid flow between parallel infinite plates can be calculated using the Hagen-Poiseuille equation, which states that the velocity is directly proportional to the pressure difference and inversely proportional to the fluid viscosity and the distance between the plates.

How does the Reynolds number affect fluid flow between parallel infinite plates?

The Reynolds number, which is a dimensionless quantity that represents the ratio of inertial forces to viscous forces, plays a crucial role in determining the type of flow between parallel infinite plates. For low Reynolds numbers, the flow is laminar, while for high Reynolds numbers, the flow becomes turbulent.

What are some real-world applications of fluid flow between parallel infinite plates?

Fluid flow between parallel infinite plates has many practical applications, such as in the design of heat exchangers, lubrication systems, and microfluidic devices. It is also essential in understanding the flow of blood in blood vessels and the flow of air in respiratory systems.