Fluid Dynamics: Solving the Equation of Continuity

In summary, when increasing the distance the water reaches by a factor of 4 while pointing the hose at the same angle, the fraction of the hose opening that was blocked is not determined by the equation A1v1=A2v2, as initially thought. Instead, it depends on the initial angle of the hose. If the initial height of the hose can be neglected, then the answer is 2 times the original fraction. However, if the initial height of the hose is taken into account, then the answer may be different. It is important to clarify the initial conditions of a problem, such as the initial height and angle, in order to determine the correct solution.
joseph_kijewski

Homework Statement

You are watering your lawn with a hose when you put your finger over the hose opening to increase the distance the water reaches. If you are pointing the hose at the same angle, and the distance the water reaches increases by a factor of 4, what fraction of the hose opening did you block?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This seems very obvious to me. The density of the water would remain consistent, thus the equation would become A1v1=A2v2. Since t is consistent as long as the height the water is fired from is, I figured this means v2 must be 4 times v1. But the answer is 2 times? I've looked over this problem many times and I just can't see what I'm missing, it seems so obvious?

Physics news on Phys.org
joseph_kijewski said:
Since t is consistent as long as the height the water is fired from is, I figured this means v2 must be 4 times v1.
What do you mean by "t is consistent"? You'll need to review projectile motion to see how the range of a projectile depends on initial speed.

TSny said:
What do you mean by "t is consistent"? You'll need to review projectile motion to see how the range of a projectile depends on initial speed.

Shouldn't x component be v*t, thus directly proportional to velocity?? By t is consistent, I mean that t must be consistent in both as h is consistent: -4.9t^2=h

When a football is kicked into the air, does the time of flight change if the initial speed is changed?

4.9t2 = h is for horizontal projection from a height h.

The statement of the problem is not clear about whether or not to take into account the initial height of the hose. I suspect that you are meant to neglect the initial height and imagine that the water essentially leaves the hose at ground level.

When you write the equation x = vt, what does v represent? Is it the initial speed, or is it the x-component of the initial velocity, or is it the y-component of the initial velocity, or something else?

I guess I'm imagining the hose as horizontal, in which case I believe I would be right, but the angle isn't specified, so isn't it impossible to determine the answer?

joseph_kijewski said:
I guess I'm imagining the hose as horizontal, in which case I believe I would be right, but the angle isn't specified, so isn't it impossible to determine the answer?
Yes, if you interpret the problem as aiming the hose horizontally from some height h, then to quadruple the range you would need to quadruple the initial speed. As you noted, this is not the answer they wanted.

The problem statement mentions "pointing the hose at the same angle". This suggests that the hose is not horizontal, but tilted upward. However, the problem is still not clear regarding the initial height. See if you get the "right" answer if you assume the initial height is small enough to neglect. So, the water essentially leaves the hose at ground level at some unknown angle θo.

Figured it out, thanks!

OK. Good work!

Related to Fluid Dynamics: Solving the Equation of Continuity

1. What is the equation of continuity?

The equation of continuity is a fundamental principle in fluid mechanics that states that the mass flow rate into a closed system must equal the mass flow rate out of the system, assuming there is no change in density. It can be represented mathematically as A1V1 = A2V2, where A is the cross-sectional area and V is the velocity of the fluid.

2. How is the equation of continuity derived?

The equation of continuity is derived from the conservation of mass principle, which states that mass can neither be created nor destroyed. By applying this principle to a fluid flow system, we can derive the equation of continuity to show that the mass entering the system must equal the mass exiting the system.

3. What are the applications of the equation of continuity?

The equation of continuity is used in a wide range of applications in fluid mechanics, including the flow of liquids and gases in pipes, nozzles, and pumps. It is also used in the design and analysis of turbines, engines, and other fluid-based systems.

4. Can the equation of continuity be applied to compressible fluids?

Yes, the equation of continuity can be applied to compressible fluids, but it must be modified to account for changes in density due to changes in pressure. This modified equation is known as the compressible form of the equation of continuity.

5. How does the equation of continuity relate to Bernoulli's principle?

The equation of continuity is closely related to Bernoulli's principle, which states that the total energy of a fluid remains constant as it flows through a pipe or tube. The equation of continuity is used to determine the velocity of the fluid, which is a key factor in calculating the total energy of the fluid according to Bernoulli's principle.