Fluid Dynamics - Rate of Change of Momentum question

In summary, the question is asking for the force exerted on a horizontal flat plate by a vertical jet of water. The force can be calculated by finding the rate of momentum flow against the plate, which can be obtained by multiplying the mass flow rate by the velocity. The final answer should have units of Newtons (kg-m/s^2).
Tom Hardy

Homework Statement

A vertical jet of water of 3cm in diameter impinges upon a horizontal flat plate with a velocity of 4m/s, and all of the water spreads out horizontally. Find the force exerted on the plate.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not 100% sure how to tackle this, from what I can understand understand it could have something to do with [tex] F=dp/dt [/tex] (p being momentum) but I am not sure how to work out the change in momentum. If we consider an element that is about to hit the plate with dimensions Area = [tex] \pi*(1.5*10^{-2})^2 [/tex] volume = [tex] 4*(\pi*(1.5*10^{-2})^2) [/tex] mass is the same value as volume so momentum would be [tex] 16*(\pi*(1.5*10^{-2})^2) [/tex] That's where I get up to, I mean the water goes sideways so how do I figure out it's momentum after, how does continuity play out here? :S Should I just take it after to be 0?

Many thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
What you've calculated so far is the mass flow rate of water against the plate. But this is not the rate of momentum flow against the plate. To get that, you need to multiply by the velocity again. Check the units to be sure that this indeed comes out to force.

You are correct that, since the flow after hitting the plate is zero, that vertical momentum is zero.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
What you've calculated so far is the mass flow rate of water against the plate. But this is not the rate of momentum flow against the plate. To get that, you need to multiply by the velocity again. Check the units to be sure that this indeed comes out to force.

You are correct that, since the flow after hitting the plate is zero, that vertical momentum is zero.

Chet

Hi Chet,

Thank you for replying. If I take a look at the units then:

We start with area [itex] \pi(1.5*10^{-2})^2 [/itex] which has units [itex] m^2 [/itex], then we times by a velocity 4 to get volumetric flow rate with units [itex] \frac{m^3}{s} [/itex], then we multiply the volumetric flow rate by the density of water to get a mass flow rate of units [itex] \frac{kg^3}{s} [/itex] so to get a force shouldn't I just multiply that by the velocity again to get [itex] \frac{kg^3m}{s} [/itex]?

So I end up with [itex]( \pi(1.5*10^{-2})^2*4*999.7*4 ) \approx 16000\pi(1.5*10^{-2})^2 [/itex], the answer that I get from that (11.3) is one of the multiple choice answers but I am still not 100% sure if it is correct.

Many thanks for your help!

Tom Hardy said:
Hi Chet,

Thank you for replying. If I take a look at the units then:

We start with area [itex] \pi(1.5*10^{-2})^2 [/itex] which has units [itex] m^2 [/itex], then we times by a velocity 4 to get volumetric flow rate with units [itex] \frac{m^3}{s} [/itex], then we multiply the volumetric flow rate by the density of water to get a mass flow rate of units [itex] \frac{kg^3}{s} [/itex] so to get a force shouldn't I just multiply that by the velocity again to get [itex] \frac{kg^3m}{s} [/itex]?

Yes. But that power of 3 on the kg needs to be corrected. It should just be kg. And, when you multiply by the velocity again, you get kg-m/s^2 = Newtons.
So I end up with [itex]( \pi(1.5*10^{-2})^2*4*999.7*4 ) \approx 16000\pi(1.5*10^{-2})^2 [/itex], the answer that I get from that (11.3) is one of the multiple choice answers but I am still not 100% sure if it is correct.

Many thanks for your help!
I haven't checked the arithmetic, but the methodology is correct.

Chet

Likes Tom Hardy
Chestermiller said:
Yes. But that power of 3 on the kg needs to be corrected. It should just be kg. And, when you multiply by the velocity again, you get kg-m/s^2 = Newtons.

I haven't checked the arithmetic, but the methodology is correct.

Chet
Woops,that was a typo, thanks a lot for your help.

Tom Hardy said:
Woops,that was a typo, I meant to say meter cubed. Thanks a lot for help.
Actually, you should only have m to the first power in your final answer. The units have to be Newtons = kg-m/s^2.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
Actually, you should only have m to the first power in your final answer. The units have to be Newtons = kg-m/s^2.

Chet

Yeah, I edited it straight after I posted it :P

Related to Fluid Dynamics - Rate of Change of Momentum question

1. What is fluid dynamics?

Fluid dynamics is the branch of physics that studies the behavior of fluids (liquids and gases) and their interactions with forces and boundary conditions.

2. What is the rate of change of momentum in fluid dynamics?

The rate of change of momentum in fluid dynamics is a measure of how quickly the momentum of a fluid changes over time. It is calculated by multiplying the mass of the fluid by its velocity.

3. How is the rate of change of momentum related to the forces acting on a fluid?

The rate of change of momentum is directly related to the net force acting on a fluid. According to Newton's second law of motion, the net force on an object is equal to the rate of change of its momentum.

4. What is the equation for calculating the rate of change of momentum?

The equation for calculating the rate of change of momentum in fluid dynamics is d(mv)/dt, where d(mv) represents the change in momentum over time and dt represents the change in time. This equation is also known as the impulse-momentum theorem.

5. What factors affect the rate of change of momentum in fluid dynamics?

The rate of change of momentum in fluid dynamics can be affected by various factors such as the density and viscosity of the fluid, the velocity and direction of the fluid flow, and the presence of external forces such as gravity or pressure. Changes in any of these factors can lead to changes in the rate of change of momentum in a fluid system.