Fluid dynamics: momentum equation and continutity

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Bernoulli's equation and the concept of steady flow in solving a physics problem involving a fluid striking a plate. The conversation also touches on the application of macroscopic momentum balance in determining the acceleration of a cart.
fayan77

Homework Statement

Screen Shot 2018-03-21 at 7.51.54 PM.png

Homework Equations

because their is steady flow we only care about mass flow flux meaning
m1vout - m2vout
m = ##\rho##Av
i know that m1 = m2 + m3
since there are no dimensions I am assuming that areas are the same everywhere, density does not change therefore velocities out are half of velocity going in

The Attempt at a Solution

Forces in x must equal momentum forces in x
we have 600lb to the left and PA(Area) to the right = mvout - mvin
Therefore
25(144)(##\pi##/4)(d)2 - 600 = -mvin
I'm stuck

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-03-21 at 7.51.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-03-21 at 7.51.54 PM.png
    24.1 KB · Views: 1,281
Physics news on Phys.org
You involve a lot of variables without defining any, so I cannot follow your working.
What does Bernoulli's equation tell you about the velocity?

In addition to what haruspex said, what is your horizontal macroscopic momentum balance on the stream of fluid striking the plate?

Bornoulli says that
P1 + ##\rho##gh + .5##\rho##(v1)2 = P2 + ##\rho##gh + .5##\rho##(v2)2

But I don't think I can apply this here because I don't know anything about a different point. Along that horizontal pressure is 25 psi but at the plate it would be greater since velocity is 0. And I can't use it out in the atmosphere where P=0 because I don't have a height.

fayan77 said:
Bornoulli says that
P1 + ##\rho##gh + .5##\rho##(v1)2 = P2 + ##\rho##gh + .5##\rho##(v2)2

But I don't think I can apply this here because I don't know anything about a different point. Along that horizontal pressure is 25 psi but at the plate it would be greater since velocity is 0. And I can't use it out in the atmosphere where P=0 because I don't have a height.
Did you not see my response in post #3?

This is my free body diagrams for force and momentum

IMG_20180322_111257.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20180322_111257.jpg
    IMG_20180322_111257.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 473
fayan77 said:
don't know anything about a different point
Consider a point before it hits the plate, e.g. where the arrow points to v.
fayan77 said:
I can't use it out in the atmosphere where P=0 because I don't have a height.
From A, it is all at the same height.

ok Point B will be where V is described in picture
therefore
PA + .5##\rho##(vA)2 = PB + .5##\rho##(vB)2

because PA and PB are in same height pressure is same along that horizontal line also there is no velocity at PA

25(144) + 0 = 25(144) + .5(1.95)(vB)2

What am I doing wrong?

fayan77 said:
ok Point B will be where V is described in picture
therefore
PA + .5##\rho##(vA)2 = PB + .5##\rho##(vB)2

because PA and PB are in same height pressure is same along that horizontal line also there is no velocity at PA

25(144) + 0 = 25(144) + .5(1.95)(vB)2

What am I doing wrong?
Since pA is 25 psig, pB should be zero (i.e., atmospheric pressure).

The macroscopic momentum balance on the jet should read $$F(-i_x)=0i_x-(\rho v_B A)v_Bi_x$$or$$F=\rho v_B^2 A$$

Ooooooooohhhhh I just saw the picture closely. I assumed that there was a pipe all the way to where the wall, but the opening starts right where the tank is therefore it is atmospheric pressure. Thanks, lol. By the way since I have your attention in this thread already would the acceleration of a cart be,

ac = (##\rho##Q(vjet-vcart)[(vout-vin)] / (Mvjet)

where (vjet-vcart) = vout = vin equal in magnitude but different direction therefore multiply by cos or sin

this is for a cart with opening on left side; jet goes horizontally through left opening and out through top at an angle

fayan77 said:
Ooooooooohhhhh I just saw the picture closely. I assumed that there was a pipe all the way to where the wall, but the opening starts right where the tank is therefore it is atmospheric pressure. Thanks, lol. By the way since I have your attention in this thread already would the acceleration of a cart be,

ac = (##\rho##Q(vjet-vcart)[(vout-vin)] / (Mvjet)

where (vjet-vcart) = vout = vin equal in magnitude but different direction therefore multiply by cos or sin

this is for a cart with opening on left side; jet goes horizontally through left opening and out through top at an angle
I don't follow this cart business at all. Is this for a different problem in a different thread?

no its for an extra credit problem i was assigned but I didn't want to make another thread because it was going to take ages for someone to respond, but I am leaving to class now, thanks for your help.

fayan77 said:
no its for an extra credit problem i was assigned but I didn't want to make another thread because it was going to take ages for someone to respond, but I am leaving to class now, thanks for your help.
I think you were a bit unlucky in the initial delay on this thread. Usually a lot faster. In fact, delays are often longer in established threads because the first responder, in a different timezone, has retured for the night and other potential responders see that the thread is being handled.
Please post a fresh thread for each problem.

Related to Fluid dynamics: momentum equation and continutity

1. What is the momentum equation in fluid dynamics?

The momentum equation in fluid dynamics is a fundamental equation that describes the relationship between the forces acting on a fluid and its acceleration. It is often written as F = ma, where F is the net force, m is the mass of the fluid, and a is the acceleration.

2. How is the momentum equation derived?

The momentum equation is derived from Newton's second law of motion, which states that the net force acting on an object is equal to the product of its mass and acceleration. This law is applied to small fluid elements within a larger fluid system to describe the motion of the fluid.

3. What is the continuity equation in fluid dynamics?

The continuity equation in fluid dynamics is a mathematical expression of the principle of conservation of mass, which states that mass cannot be created or destroyed. It describes the relationship between the velocity, density, and cross-sectional area of a fluid as it flows through a system.

4. How is the continuity equation used in fluid dynamics?

The continuity equation is used to analyze and predict the behavior of fluids as they flow through complex systems. It is often used in conjunction with the momentum equation to solve problems related to fluid flow, such as calculating pressure drops or determining flow rates.

5. What are some real-world applications of fluid dynamics?

Fluid dynamics has a wide range of applications in various fields, such as aerospace engineering, meteorology, and oceanography. It is used to design aircraft and rockets, predict weather patterns, and understand ocean currents. It also has practical applications in industries such as oil and gas, water treatment, and transportation.