Fluid dynamics - mass flow rate -dimensionless number

In summary, the conversation discusses the effect of low mass flow rate on friction and other losses in piping, and the potential use of Euler's dimensionless number as a proof for negligible losses. The individual is seeking guidance on non-dimensionalizing equations and identifying driving terms.
JB Mandengue
(a) Is it true that if the mass flow rate of a gas is low, say 2g/s (grams per second), the friction losses and other losses in the piping will be negligible?

(b) If it is true that losses in the piping are negligible, is it the Euler's dimensionless number that we can use to prove this?

(c) If it is the Euler's dimensionless number, please indicate the proof. If it is not Euler, which one is it?

(d) Is it true that at such low mass flow rates, the main driving force is the vapour pressure of the gas?

Engineering news on Phys.org
If this is homework, please move it to the homework forum.

Thanks
Matt

At least throw an attempt and we'd be more likely to help you. Have you non-dimensionalized the governing equations? What terms do you see as constants?

minger said:
At least throw an attempt and we'd be more likely to help you. Have you non-dimensionalized the governing equations? What terms do you see as constants?

I haven't tried anything. I am looking for leads to point me in the right direction. The information I put about Euler is what I think it might be conceptually. But actually working it out I haven't tried.

Well as I mentioned, non-dimensionalize the equations, using standard non-dimensional terms and you immediately see what terms are driving. What terms can be driving if certain conditions are met.

Related to Fluid dynamics - mass flow rate -dimensionless number

1. What is fluid dynamics?

Fluid dynamics is the study of how fluids (liquids and gases) move and interact with their surroundings. It involves analyzing the motion, forces, and energy of fluids in different situations and environments.

2. What is mass flow rate?

Mass flow rate is the amount of mass (usually measured in kilograms) that passes through a given area in a given amount of time (usually measured in seconds). It is often used to measure the rate at which fluids flow through a pipe or channel.

3. What is a dimensionless number in fluid dynamics?

A dimensionless number in fluid dynamics is a numerical value that represents the relationship between different physical quantities in a fluid flow, without using any specific units of measurement. Examples of dimensionless numbers commonly used in fluid dynamics include the Reynolds number, the Mach number, and the Froude number.

4. How do you calculate mass flow rate?

Mass flow rate can be calculated by dividing the mass of the fluid (m) by the time it takes to flow through an area (t). This is represented by the equation: mass flow rate = m/t.

5. Why are dimensionless numbers important in fluid dynamics?

Dimensionless numbers allow for the comparison of different fluid flow systems and situations, regardless of their specific units of measurement. They also help to simplify complex equations and make them more easily applicable to a wide range of situations. Dimensionless numbers are essential for understanding and predicting fluid behavior in various engineering and scientific applications.