Fluid Dynamics - Mass Conservation, State Equation for an Ideal Gas

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between mass flow rate and density in a gas system, and how to incorporate the ideal gas law and state equations to solve for velocity. The key idea is that the mass density can be expressed in terms of temperature and pressure, and the equation ##\rho Q_1 = \rho Q_2## can be used to solve for velocity in terms of these variables. More specifically, the ideal gas law is used to express the mass density in terms of temperature, pressure, and molar mass, and the state equation is used to relate pressure and volume to temperature. By setting up ##\dot m_{out} = \dot m_{in}## in terms of ##\rho## and ##
WhiteWolf98
Homework Statement
Air flows steadily in a long pipe. The static, absolute pressure and the temperature at the pipe inlet are ##77~kPa## and ##264~K## respectively. At the outlet the static, absolute pressure and the temperature are ##44~kPa## and ##244~K## respectively. Assuming that the average air velocity at the inlet is ##V=202~ms^{-1}##, use the mass conservation principle and the state equation for an ideal gas to determine the average air velocity (in ##ms^{-1}##) at the outlet.
Relevant Equations
##{\dot m}_{in}= {\dot m}_{out}##, ##PV=nRT?##
I understand that ##\dot m=\rho Q## and ##{\dot m}_{in}= {\dot m}_{out}## . So one can say that ##\rho Q_1 = \rho Q_2##. But I'm not sure if that equation is correct. I don't know if the density remains constant, or the volume flow rate. And then how I'm also supposed to tie a state equation in it too... I've thought about the problem a lot, but I don't seem to be getting anywhere. Any help in the right direction would be appreciated; thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You can use the ideal gas law to express the mass density ##\rho## in terms of temperature and pressure. To do this, express the number of moles ##n## in a sample of gas in terms of the mass ##m## of the sample and the molar mass ##M##.

Likes WhiteWolf98
I still don't see how this helps me work out the velocity. All the formulas are confusing me greatly.

##\dot m = \rho Q## and ##\rho =\frac m V## || ##Q=AV##

##PV=nRT, n=\frac m M, m=\rho V##

##PV=\frac m MRT##

##PV=\frac {\rho V} M RT##

##PM=\rho RT##

Am I to assume next that: ##\frac {PM} {\rho RT} = constant##?

What do you get if you set up ##\dot m_{out} = \dot m_{in}## in terms of ##\rho## and ##Q##? Use what you learned about ##\rho## from your manipulations of the ideal gas law.

Likes WhiteWolf98
##\dot m_1 = \dot m_2##

##\rho_1 Q_1 = \rho_2 Q_2##

##\frac {P_1 M} {R T_1} A V_1 = \frac {P_2 M} {R T_2} A V_2##

##\frac {P_1 V_1} {T_1} = \frac {P_2 V_2} {T_2}##

##V_2 = \frac {T_2 P_1 V_1} {T_1 P_2}##

Thank you :3

Related to Fluid Dynamics - Mass Conservation, State Equation for an Ideal Gas

1. What is fluid dynamics?

Fluid dynamics is a branch of physics that studies the motion and behavior of fluids, which can include liquids, gases, and plasmas. It involves the study of how fluids move and interact with their surroundings, as well as the forces that govern their behavior.

2. What is mass conservation in fluid dynamics?

Mass conservation in fluid dynamics refers to the principle that states that the total mass of a fluid remains constant over time. This means that the mass of a fluid cannot be created or destroyed, but can only change forms or be transferred from one location to another.

3. How is mass conservation applied in fluid dynamics?

In fluid dynamics, mass conservation is applied through the use of the continuity equation, which relates the flow velocity and the density of a fluid to ensure that mass is conserved. This equation is based on the principle that the amount of fluid entering a certain area must be equal to the amount exiting that area.

4. What is the state equation for an ideal gas?

The state equation for an ideal gas is the relationship between the pressure, volume, and temperature of a gas, and is given by the equation PV = nRT, where P is the pressure, V is the volume, n is the number of moles, R is the universal gas constant, and T is the temperature. This equation is based on the ideal gas law, which describes the behavior of an ideal gas at a constant temperature.

5. How is the state equation for an ideal gas used in fluid dynamics?

The state equation for an ideal gas is used in fluid dynamics to model the behavior of gases in different situations, such as in compressible flow or in thermodynamic processes. It helps to relate the properties of a gas, such as pressure, volume, and temperature, to understand how these properties may change under different conditions and how they affect the overall behavior of the fluid.