Fluid dynamics: Initial velocity of milk outflow from carton

In summary, the question of determining the initial velocity of outflow from a hole punched in a full milk carton, 10cm below the top, is a tricky one. While Torricelli's Law can be used to find the steady flow velocity, it does not apply to the flow immediately after creating the hole. To estimate the initial velocity, one can consider the rate of change of momentum and use the formula v = √(gh). Alternatively, the question could be rephrased to ask for the velocity after a few seconds, at which point the steady flow has been established, and use the formula v = √(2gh).
vetgirl1990

Homework Statement

A hole is punched in a full milk carton, 10cm below the top. What's the initial velocity of outflow?

Homework Equations

P2 = P1 + ρgh
Conservation of energy of fluids: P2 + 1/2ρv22 + ρgy2 = P1 + 1/2ρv12 + ρgy1

The Attempt at a Solution

Set the top of the carton as P1, and the point 10cm below the surface as P2.
Assume that milk has the same density as water: 1000kg/m3

P1 = atmospheric pressure = 101325Pa
P2 = 101325 + 1000(9.8)(0.1) = 102305Pa

P2 + 1/2ρv22 + ρgh2 = P1 + 1/2ρv12 + ρgy1
The milk doesn't have kinetic energy at the top of the carton, so K=1/2ρv22 =0
At 10cm below the surface, y=0 (although this is still elevated above the ground, we're trying to find the change in energy between the top of the carton and hole punched in it); therefore U = ρgy1 = 0

P2 + ρgh2 = P1 + 1/2ρv12
102305 + 1000(9.8)(0.1) = 101325 + 1/2(1000)v12
103285 - 101325 = 500v12
V1 = 1.98m/s Is my method correct? The actual answer is V=1.4m/s, but perhaps it's because I assumed that the density of milk is the same as water...

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you'll find that for the fluid stream coming out of the hole the pressure is atmospheric pressure. That's the environment it is in as soon as it passes through the wall of the carton, and that's where you want to determine its speed. So the pressure terms should cancel, and you're left with the energy change due to the change in elevation.

Essentially this is the derivation of Torricelli's Law. I think a web search on that will be helpful :smile:

Likes vetgirl1990
vetgirl1990 said:

Homework Statement

A hole is punched in a full milk carton, 10cm below the top. What's the initial velocity of outflow?

Homework Equations

P2 = P1 + ρgh
Conservation of energy of fluids: P2 + 1/2ρv22 + ρgy2 = P1 + 1/2ρv12 + ρgy1

The Attempt at a Solution

Set the top of the carton as P1, and the point 10cm below the surface as P2.
Assume that milk has the same density as water: 1000kg/m3

P1 = atmospheric pressure = 101325Pa
P2 = 101325 + 1000(9.8)(0.1) = 102305Pa

P2 + 1/2ρv22 + ρgh2 = P1 + 1/2ρv12 + ρgy1
The milk doesn't have kinetic energy at the top of the carton, so K=1/2ρv22 =0
At 10cm below the surface, y=0 (although this is still elevated above the ground, we're trying to find the change in energy between the top of the carton and hole punched in it); therefore U = ρgy1 = 0

P2 + ρgh2 = P1 + 1/2ρv12
102305 + 1000(9.8)(0.1) = 101325 + 1/2(1000)v12
103285 - 101325 = 500v12
V1 = 1.98m/sIs my method correct? The actual answer is V=1.4m/s, but perhaps it's because I assumed that the density of milk is the same as water...
The density of milk is not your problem here.

Review the derivation of Torricelli's Law from the Bernoulli equation:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torricelli's_law

Likes vetgirl1990
gneill said:
I think you'll find that for the fluid stream coming out of the hole the pressure is atmospheric pressure. That's the environment it is in as soon as it passes through the wall of the carton, and that's where you want to determine its speed. So the pressure terms should cancel, and you're left with the energy change due to the change in elevation.

Essentially this is the derivation of Torricelli's Law. I think a web search on that will be helpful :smile:

Extremely useful, thank you so much!

My logic (although wrong) was that the pressure at the hole would be affected by the volume of milk above it, which would have a direct effect on speed of the milk leaving the carton.
I suppose using P2 = P1 + ρgh then, would only be applicable [if for some reason], they were asking what the pressure was at the bottom of the carton vs. the top, in a closed container with no holes.

vetgirl1990 said:
Extremely useful, thank you so much!

My logic (although wrong) was that the pressure at the hole would be affected by the volume of milk above it, which would have a direct effect on speed of the milk leaving the carton.
I suppose using P2 = P1 + ρgh then, would only be applicable [if for some reason], they were asking what the pressure was at the bottom of the carton vs. the top, in a closed container with no holes.
Yes. That's why it's called the hydrostatic equation.

vetgirl1990 said:
What's the initial velocity of outflow?
This is rather a tricky question, too tricky for the question setter, it seems.
Torricelli's Law does not apply to the flow immediately after creating the hole. It applies only once a steady flow has been established.
The difference is observable. If you pull a plug out near the bottom of a barrel you will see the flow strengthen for the first second, or thereabouts.
The immediate flow can be estimated by considering rate of change of momentum. The water inside the tank, near the hole, is going from a standing start. If it exits at speed v through a hole area A, the mass flow rate is ##\rho A v##, the rate of gain of momentum is ##\rho A v^2##, which therefore equals the force ##\rho h g A##. This gives ##v=\sqrt{gh}##.
To get the ##\sqrt{2gh}## answer, it would be better to state that after some seconds the water is 10cm above the hole, and ask what the velocity is then.

haruspex said:
This is rather a tricky question, too tricky for the question setter, it seems.
Torricelli's Law does not apply to the flow immediately after creating the hole. It applies only once a steady flow has been established.
The difference is observable. If you pull a plug out near the bottom of a barrel you will see the flow strengthen for the first second, or thereabouts.
The immediate flow can be estimated by considering rate of change of momentum. The water inside the tank, near the hole, is going from a standing start. If it exits at speed v through a hole area A, the mass flow rate is ##\rho A v##, the rate of gain of momentum is ##\rho A v^2##, which therefore equals the force ##\rho h g A##. This gives ##v=\sqrt{gh}##.
To get the ##\sqrt{2gh}## answer, it would be better to state that after some seconds the water is 10cm above the hole, and ask what the velocity is then.
Hi haruspex,

I'm a little confused. :confused: Shouldn't the velocity be zero when you first pull the plug since there have been no impulsive forces applied? I mean, doesn't it take time for the fluid to accelerate?

Chestermiller said:
Hi haruspex,

I'm a little confused. :confused: Shouldn't the velocity be zero when you first pull the plug since there have been no impulsive forces applied? I mean, doesn't it take time for the fluid to accelerate?
Yes, but consider the first 'plug' of water to emerge. It will accelerate from nothing as it emerges, but by the time it is clear of the hole and falling freely it will have reached roughly the velocity calculated from force. An experiment is in order.

haruspex said:
Yes, but consider the first 'plug' of water to emerge. It will accelerate from nothing as it emerges, but by the time it is clear of the hole and falling freely it will have reached roughly the velocity calculated from force. An experiment is in order.
In my judgement, only if the compressibility of the water were taken into account could this happen. Otherwise, to satisfy continuity, any initial velocity of any part of the water would mean that all the water would have to be moving initially. If compressibility were included, then an infinitecimal amount of water could start emerging at finite velocity without all the water it being affected.

Chestermiller said:
In my judgement, only if the compressibility of the water were taken into account could this happen. Otherwise, to satisfy continuity, any initial velocity of any part of the water would mean that all the water would have to be moving initially. If compressibility were included, then an infinitecimal amount of water could start emerging at finite velocity without all the water it being affected.
No, I think you miss the point of my last post.
I agree that if you were to watch the emergence of the stream from the hole in the first microseconds then it would accelerate from a negligible velocity. But the front of that continues to be accelerated by the pressure of the water behind. Yes, a pedantic reading of "initial velocity" could justify an answer of 0. But a reasonable interpretation of the initial velocity of outflow would be the horizontal speed that the first 'plug' of water reaches.
My argument is that even if we abjure pedantry and allow an interpretation that makes the question interesting, the given answer is still wrong.

Related to Fluid dynamics: Initial velocity of milk outflow from carton

1. What factors affect the initial velocity of milk outflow from a carton?

The initial velocity of milk outflow from a carton is affected by several factors, including the size and shape of the opening of the carton, the viscosity and temperature of the milk, and the height from which the carton is poured. These factors can impact the flow rate and therefore the initial velocity of the milk outflow.

2. How does the viscosity of milk affect its outflow velocity?

The viscosity of milk plays a significant role in determining its outflow velocity. Viscosity is a measure of a fluid's resistance to flow, and milk has a higher viscosity compared to other liquids such as water. This means that milk will flow slower and have a lower initial velocity from a carton compared to water.

3. Does the temperature of the milk affect its outflow velocity?

Yes, the temperature of the milk can affect its outflow velocity. As the temperature of milk increases, its viscosity decreases, making it easier for the milk to flow out of the carton. This can result in a higher initial velocity of milk outflow from the carton.

4. How does the shape of the carton opening impact the outflow velocity of milk?

The shape of the carton opening can have a significant impact on the outflow velocity of milk. A wider opening can allow for a higher flow rate and therefore a higher initial velocity. Additionally, a smoother opening can reduce the amount of turbulence in the flow, resulting in a more consistent and higher velocity of milk outflow.

5. Can the height from which the carton is poured affect the initial velocity of milk outflow?

Yes, the height from which the carton is poured can impact the initial velocity of milk outflow. The higher the height, the greater the potential energy of the milk, which can result in a higher initial velocity. However, this also depends on other factors such as viscosity and the size of the opening. Pouring from too high of a height can also cause turbulence and result in a lower initial velocity.