Fluid dynamics: head losses and pressure

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of a pressure head in a fluid mechanics problem, where the height difference between two points is equal to the pressure head calculated in part a. The person providing the summary also mentions that they would have approached the problem differently by starting with the average fluid velocity and working backwards to the flow rate. All equations and values are attached for reference.
AwfulPhysicist
see I worked through 3a) and I was comparing answers, I saw that they omitted v2 (5m/s) their explanation was because it was "defined in the question" I'm not sure what that means 3)b I tried understanding what's going on but I am clueless unfortunately, how exactly did they get 12.1m ? Where is it from!

All equations and values are attached

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 444
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 420
Physics news on Phys.org
AwfulPhysicist said:
see I worked through 3a) and I was comparing answers, I saw that they omitted v2 (5m/s) their explanation was because it was "defined in the question" I'm not sure what that means
"Defined in the question" means "as given in the problem statement", which in this case is the statement about "Neglect local losses and ignore the forces caused by momentum change."
3)b I tried understanding what's going on but I am clueless unfortunately, how exactly did they get 12.1m ? Where is it from!

All equations and values are attached
There is an energy loss and the equivalent 'head' would be given by equating that energy loss = ρgH. Note the calculation associated with the 12.1 m.

As a fluid mechanics guy, I would never have done this problem this way. I would start out by getting the average fluid velocity in the needle:

[tex]v=18\frac{(5)^2}{(0.3)^2}=5000 mm/s =5 m/s[/tex]
shear rate γ at needle wall = ##8\frac{v}{d}=\frac{(8)(5000)}{0.3}=133333 s^{-1}##

shear stress τ at needle wall = μγ = (133333)(0.980x10-3)=131 Pa

pressure drop Δp = ##4\frac{L}{d}τ=4\frac{60}{0.3}131=104500Pa=104.5kPa##

pressure head ##h = \frac{Δp}{ρg}=\frac{104500}{(800)(9.8)}=13.3 m##

For part b, I would have done the calculation in reverse, starting with the pressure drop, and working backwards to the flow rate.

Chet

Related to Fluid dynamics: head losses and pressure

1. What is fluid dynamics?

Fluid dynamics is the study of how fluids (liquids and gases) move and interact with each other and with their surroundings. It involves understanding the forces and pressures that act on fluids and how they affect the flow of the fluid.

2. What are head losses in fluid dynamics?

Head losses refer to the energy loss that occurs when a fluid flows through a pipe or channel. This can be caused by friction between the fluid and the walls of the pipe, changes in the direction of flow, or changes in the cross-sectional area of the pipe.

3. How are head losses calculated?

Head losses can be calculated using various equations, such as the Darcy-Weisbach equation or the Hazen-Williams equation. These equations take into account factors such as the fluid velocity, pipe diameter, and roughness of the pipe walls.

4. What is pressure in fluid dynamics?

Pressure in fluid dynamics refers to the force exerted by a fluid on its surroundings. It is typically measured in units of pressure, such as pounds per square inch (psi) or Pascals (Pa). Pressure is important in fluid dynamics as it determines the direction and rate of fluid flow.

5. How does pressure affect fluid flow?

Pressure plays a crucial role in determining the flow rate and direction of fluids. In general, fluids will flow from areas of high pressure to areas of low pressure. This pressure difference can be created by factors such as gravity, pumps, or changes in the cross-sectional area of a pipe. The greater the pressure difference, the faster the fluid will flow.