[fluid dynamics] are they trying to use the ideal gas law for LIQUIDS?

In summary, Engineers derive the equation U = \frac{p}{\alpha \rho} for an ideal gas, but later apply it to a liquid. It seems unfounded, but there may be a reason for it in more general cases.
nonequilibrium
In my course they're using the equality [itex]U = \frac{p}{\alpha \rho}[/itex] with alpha some constant (U = internal energy per mass, p = pressure, rho = density). They explicitly derive it for an ideal gas yet later apply it to a liquid (in the context of deriving the Navier-Stokes energy equation). Seems pretty unfounded... However, is there perhaps a reason we should expect such an equation to hold in more general cases?

NB: to see it follows from the ideal gas law, note that [itex]p = \rho \beta T[/itex] for some constant beta, and that [itex]U = \gamma T[/itex] (note that U is energy per mass, i.e. up to a constant energy per particle [itex]\propto k_B T[/itex])

Physics news on Phys.org
OK for any fluid you need an equation of state connecting P, V & T, which you can solve and differentiate for one in terms of the other two eg

[tex]dV = {\left( {\frac{{\partial V}}{{\partial T}}} \right)_P}dT + {\left( {\frac{{\partial V}}{{\partial P}}} \right)_T}dP[/tex]

For liquids in particular, Engineers commonly tabulate two quantities thus

The Volume Expansivity

[tex]\beta = \frac{1}{V}{\left( {\frac{{\partial V}}{{\partial T}}} \right)_P}[/tex]

Isothermal Compressibility

[tex]\kappa = - \frac{1}{V}{\left( {\frac{{\partial V}}{{\partial P}}} \right)_T}[/tex]

Putting these definitions into the above equation leads to

[tex]\frac{{dV}}{V} = \beta dT - \kappa dP[/tex]

For an incompressible fluid both β and κ are zero.

Now to link to ordinary thermodynamics

[tex]dH = TdS + VdP[/tex]

and

[tex]{\left( {\frac{{\partial H}}{{\partial T}}} \right)_P} = {C_P} = T{\left( {\frac{{\partial S}}{{\partial T}}} \right)_P}[/tex]

and (Maxwell)

[tex]{\left( {\frac{{\partial S}}{{\partial P}}} \right)_T} = - {\left( {\frac{{\partial V}}{{\partial T}}} \right)_P}[/tex]

Combining

[tex]{\left( {\frac{{\partial H}}{{\partial P}}} \right)_T} = V - T{\left( {\frac{{\partial V}}{{\partial T}}} \right)_P}[/tex]

Insert engineering definions

[tex]\begin{array}{l}
{\left( {\frac{{\partial S}}{{\partial P}}} \right)_T} = - \beta V \\
{\left( {\frac{{\partial H}}{{\partial P}}} \right)_T} = \left( {1 - \beta T)V} \right) \\
\end{array}[/tex]

Also

[tex]U = H - PV[/tex]

differentiate at constant temp

[tex]{\left( {\frac{{\partial U}}{{\partial P}}} \right)_T} = {\left( {\frac{{\partial H}}{{\partial P}}} \right)_T} - P{\left( {\frac{{\partial V}}{{\partial P}}} \right)_T} - V[/tex]

Thus inserting engineering definitions

[tex]{\left( {\frac{{\partial U}}{{\partial P}}} \right)_T} = \left( {\kappa P - \beta T} \right)V[/tex]

There is more if you want it.

Last edited:
Sorry I seem to be missing your point. How does this answer my question?

Are we not talking abou the same quantities, beta and kappa?

I just thought you'd appreciate some background.

For an incompressible fluid there is no equation of state connecting P, V & T since V is constant.

For small compressibility it is common to integrate the fourth equation in my first post to yield

[tex]\ln \left( {\frac{{{V_2}}}{{{V_1}}}} \right) = \beta \left( {{T_2} - {T_1}} \right) - \kappa \left( {{P_2} - {P_1}} \right)[/tex]

The alpha's, beta's, gamma's I'm using are just symbols I used since I didn't want to specify what constants they were.

My question was if there is a justification for [itex]U \propto \frac{p}{\rho}[/itex] in a liquid.

Well if you think about it, if the liquid is incompressible then density = a constant.

However the energy changes must go somewhere and the basic equation of energy balance in a flowing fluid is

[tex]\frac{D}{{Dt}}\left( {U + KE} \right) = P + Q[/tex]

if u is the internal energy per unit mass

[tex]u = U\left( {\rho dV} \right)[/tex]

[tex]\frac{{DU}}{{Dt}} = \rho V\frac{{du}}{{dt}}[/tex]

depending upon conditions you can use this in the energy balance to obtain a relationship between U, P and T

Is this what you are after?

Related to [fluid dynamics] are they trying to use the ideal gas law for LIQUIDS?

1. What is the ideal gas law and how is it used in fluid dynamics?

The ideal gas law is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the pressure, volume, and temperature of an ideal gas. It can be used in fluid dynamics to determine the behavior of gases, as well as liquids, under various conditions.

2. Can the ideal gas law be applied to liquids?

Yes, the ideal gas law can be applied to liquids, but only under certain conditions. The ideal gas law assumes that the molecules of a gas have negligible volume and do not interact with each other. This is not always the case for liquids, as their molecules have a finite volume and can interact with each other. However, for some liquids at low pressures and high temperatures, the ideal gas law can still provide a good approximation.

3. Why is the ideal gas law sometimes used for liquids in fluid dynamics?

The ideal gas law is often used for liquids in fluid dynamics because it is a simple and convenient way to estimate the behavior of a liquid under certain conditions. It can also provide a good starting point for more complex calculations and can help to identify any significant deviations from ideal behavior.

4. Are there any limitations to using the ideal gas law for liquids in fluid dynamics?

Yes, there are limitations to using the ideal gas law for liquids in fluid dynamics. As mentioned before, the ideal gas law assumes that the molecules of a gas have negligible volume and do not interact with each other. This is not always the case for liquids, so the results may not be accurate for all liquids or under all conditions.

5. What are some alternative equations or models that can be used for liquids in fluid dynamics?

There are several alternative equations and models that can be used for liquids in fluid dynamics, depending on the specific properties and behavior of the liquid. Some examples include the Van der Waals equation, the Redlich-Kwong equation, and the Peng-Robinson equation. These equations take into account factors such as molecular interactions and volume, which are not considered in the ideal gas law.