Flowrate and pressure after a size reduction

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between flowrate and pressure in plumbing systems. It is important to account for permenant pressure loss through modifications to Bernoulli's equation, such as the Darcy-Weisbach equation. Properly sizing pipes is necessary to achieve desired flow rate and avoid excessive pressure loss.
TSN79
I work for a plumbing company, and I'm trying to understand things like pressure loss etc. Right now I'm trying to figure out what's shown in the attachment. It is a pipe reduction with water flowing trough it.

First, is it so that the flowrate at the left end must be equal to the flowrate at the right end? I believe it must be, otherwise water must be lost or gained as it moves through.

If I'm right, does that mean that a house's need for water can be supplied through a whatever small pipe? If x liters per second go in on the left, won't that result in x liters per second on the right, only with much greater pressure? This is probably where pressure loss comes in. I just don't get how exactly...

Last question; what equation links pressure and flowrate on the two sides? Bernoulli?

Attachments

• Reduction.pdf
    1 KB · Views: 615
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi TSN,
Regarding Bernoulli's equation - without modification to add permenant pressure loss, Bernoulli's would predict that the stagnation pressure along any pipe at constant elevation remains constant. If this were true, then you'd be correct in saying any size pipe could supply a house. Bernoulli's equation doesn't predict permenant pressure loss. It's an idealized equation which ignores frictional flow.

Imagine a very long pipe of constant diameter with water flowing through it. In reality, there is a pressure drop as water flows through the pipe. This is a permenant pressure drop which can not be recovered.

To account for this permenant pressure drop, Bernoulli's equation must be modified by adding an equation which accounts for this irreversible pressure drop. That equation is called the Darcy-Weisbach equation. By adding this, we can accurately predict the permenant pressure loss. This modification is shown in equation 16 of the attached. The Darcy-Weisbach equation is shown in equation 1.

Attachments

• Pipe-Flo Pro.pdf
    105 KB · Views: 612
For sizing plumbing systems, you have a certain pressue available at the street, so you need to size the piping big enough to get your desired flow rate out of that pressure. If you size the pipes too small, your pressure drop will make it impossible to get your desired flow rate. I use a pipe sizing book at work that has pressure losses listed for straight lengths of pipes and certain fittings. You should get one. (Not sure the name, though)

Related to Flowrate and pressure after a size reduction

1. What is flowrate?

Flowrate refers to the volume of fluid that passes through a system per unit of time. It is typically measured in liters per minute (L/min) or gallons per minute (GPM).

2. How does size reduction affect flowrate?

Size reduction, such as crushing or grinding, decreases the particle size of a material. This can increase the surface area and result in a higher flowrate due to increased fluid-particle interactions.

3. What is pressure?

Pressure is the force applied per unit of area. In fluid dynamics, it is typically measured in units of pressure, such as pounds per square inch (psi) or pascals (Pa).

4. How does size reduction affect pressure?

Size reduction can also affect pressure, as decreasing particle size can increase the resistance to flow and result in a higher pressure drop. This is known as the Bernoulli effect.

5. How do flowrate and pressure relate to each other?

Flowrate and pressure are directly related in fluid dynamics. As flowrate increases, pressure decreases due to the conservation of energy. This relationship is described by Bernoulli's principle.