Flow Rate Calculation Help - Solve Pipe Flow Problem Now!

• Thread starter vison54
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Flow Pipe
In summary, the person is asking for help with determining if a given pressure and flow rate through a manifold is producing the required flow rate based on the inlet/outlet diameter and total length. They are out of school and need assistance with the calculations. A formula for dynamic pressure and flow rate is provided, as well as information about laminar and turbulent flow and a recommendation to use the Darcy Weisbach equation for irreversible pressure drop through a pipe. The Crane paper TP410 is suggested as a reference for further information.
vison54
I need help!

I was given the pressure and flow rate needed through a manifold and I need to find out if this is producing the require flow rate based on the inlet/outlet diameter and total length.

I have been out of school for years and need help on this! thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
If I understand your problem correctly, you'll need a little more information to find out what you need.

Do you have the available pressure or fluid velocity?

Dynamic pressure in fluid flow is

P = ρ . v^2 / 2
Where:
P = Dynamic pressure (Pa)
v = Velocity (m/s)
ρ = Fluid Density (kg/m3)

Using this formula we can solve for velocity.
v = (2*P/ρ)^0.5

Now we can apply the flow rate formula:

Q = v.A

Where:
Q = Volumetric Flow Rate (m3/sec)
v = velocity (m/s)
A = Area (m2)

This will give volumetric flow rate at given pressure. It won't matter what area you use (inlet, outlet, or in between) as flow rate is constant under constant pressure (how I'm imagining this problem). Velocity will change with cross sectional area but it doesn't sound like you're particularly interested in velocity.

The length won't affect flow rate if you ignore friction. Even taking friction into account will only reduce the flow rate by a significant amount on a very low manifold (how long are we talking?).

Also keep in mind the first equation is for laminar flow (I think.. it's late here and brain's switched off for the night). Google 'laminar flow' if you're unfamiliar with the concept. I'd guess you'd be passing either water (or similar viscosity) or air through this manifold and I'd expect it to be in the turbulent region, not laminar flow. I dont' know how to accurately calculate this information for non-laminar flow.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Hi vision, welcome to the board. You'll need a bit more than Bernoulli's equation to determine irreversible pressure drop in pipe. In the thread below you'll find an attachment (post #2) that gives you the Darcy Weisbach equation for irreversible pressure drop through pipe which is what you need. The standard text in industry is the Crane paper TP410 and can be purchased online here.
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=179830

Related to Flow Rate Calculation Help - Solve Pipe Flow Problem Now!

1. How do I calculate flow rate in a pipe?

Flow rate in a pipe can be calculated using the formula Q = A*V, where Q is the flow rate, A is the cross-sectional area of the pipe, and V is the average velocity of the fluid.

2. What units should I use for flow rate calculation?

Flow rate can be measured in various units, such as liters per second, cubic meters per hour, or gallons per minute. It is important to ensure that all the values used in the calculation are in the same unit to get an accurate result.

3. How can I determine the average velocity of the fluid?

The average velocity of the fluid can be determined by dividing the flow rate by the cross-sectional area of the pipe. This can also be calculated using the formula V = d/t, where d is the distance traveled by the fluid and t is the time taken.

4. Is there a specific formula for calculating flow rate in different types of pipes?

Yes, there are different formulas for calculating flow rate in different types of pipes. For example, the Hazen-Williams equation is commonly used for calculating flow rate in pipes that are used for water distribution, while the Darcy-Weisbach equation is used for pipes with turbulent flow.

5. What factors can affect the flow rate in a pipe?

The flow rate in a pipe can be affected by various factors such as the diameter and length of the pipe, the viscosity of the fluid, the roughness of the pipe surface, and any obstructions or bends in the pipe. Temperature and pressure can also impact the flow rate in certain cases.